PDA

View Full Version : 31 inch tyres

huub
19-11-2006, 06:58 AM
got booked for having 31inch mudzillas on the tj cost me $150
they where to wide and to big
also told me to take 2 spots of the car as i had 4 spots and 2 spreaders
and he said you are only allowed a maximum of 6 forward facing lights incl your original lights of the car never said anything about having them on the roof go figure

ike
19-11-2006, 07:11 AM
damn.... QLD a little harsh with rules ey? the only thing cops have said to me in Sydney were "u need bigger flares 2 cover those tyres"

Barefoot
19-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Mine was sold to me brand new from the dealer with 31's on it..

Bad luck mate..

Darius
19-11-2006, 08:05 AM
How wide are your tyres?
What were you doing to get pulled up?
I've been booked (for speeding) 2 or 3 times with 31 x 10.5 on. Never even a second look at tyres.

Damian
19-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Sounds to me like you failed the attitude test when you got pulled over... to get raked like that you generally need to either be (a) stupid enough to say something stupid when you get pulled over or (b) unlucky enough to be caught up in a joint operation between the Qld Police and Dept of Transport (where everyone seems to cop a reaming)...

In Qld, you aren't allowed to have lights more than 1.2m above the ground, and I'm fairly sure not above the height of your normal lights, but that one might have changed...

Good luck with it anyway...

Wooders
19-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Just curious mate - They were the 31x11.5 on aftermarket rims right?

Any idea what the backspacing on the rims was?
Did you have the tyres FULLY covered?
Did you adjust the steering stops to prevent shiny spots on the lower control arms?
Still got rear mud flaps?

I know everyone says "Yeah Slap a set of 31"s & she'll be right" - but even then there are a few basics that need to be adhered too......any of the above could easily arouse the law to pick on you.....:evil:

winona
19-11-2006, 09:36 AM
:hammer: i have a 1998 tj with stock rims and 32' tyres and a 2' lift and every thing has been sweet other than that i have 8mm weell spacers and no one has even looked twice i think you just had some bad luck

huub
19-11-2006, 09:48 AM
it was a joint op between police and m of transport
the tyres where sticking out still had the mudflaps on but they went on about the tyres because they where 31 to standard 29 that the roling distance was greater then 15 mm compared to standard tyres and that was why i got booked
in qld you are 15 mm bigger or 25mm less in roling distance (circumferance or something like that)

Damian
19-11-2006, 10:09 AM
<takes a bow> Picked it in one...

jun180
19-11-2006, 10:30 AM
<takes a bow> Picked it in one...

*clap clap* :-o

damn QLD rules...u think 4wders hav it bad. take a look at the performance & rice boys. they get pulled over every time they drive out of their homes.

Matty ducati
19-11-2006, 02:29 PM
*clap clap* :-o

damn QLD rules...u think 4wders hav it bad. take a look at the performance & rice boys. they get pulled over every time they drive out of their homes.

Yeah but when was the last time you seen a TJ folded around a powerpole?
Some people who drive ricys bring the heat on everybody else drivin ricys.

Its just these dogooders sayin that 4x4s should be in the city and should be of the roads.

Dam all dogooders, Get a frigin life dogooders!

Are thats better, sorry about the hyjacked thread i had to get that out;)

iann
19-11-2006, 03:29 PM
i think it was just bad timing. mine has 31s and my offset on rim is i think 3.75 or something. anyway it sticks out 2"s outside the flares. i been meaning to get new ones but i couldnt be bothered cos wider flares on a stock lift looks funny. and cos purely i like em the way they are. at least you didnt get defect. thats a pain in the ass

Coaster
26-11-2006, 05:59 PM
im just now considering 31 inch tyres and an ome lift for my 2005 Tj..love to have both but the more I read on here ..the more confused i get about what is legal/doable in QLd and what isnt. Not a criticism..just a comment from a relative newbie.

Coaster

mozzy
26-11-2006, 06:48 PM
sounds like a revenue raising excercise. I have seen them lie and cheat about the rules just to give out a ticket. B*#@; they are, and they wonder why people dont respect the law when the biggest criminals are given power.