View Full Version : URGENTISH: Making Doors Fit

sir_camel
19-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey guys,

Just got some full doors and waved goodbye to my half doors today.

One of the doors fits perfectly.

The other doesnt in the slightest.
There isnt enough space at the A pillar and the latch is over an inch out with where the catch is. Anyone had any experience making doors fit? What do i need to do? Pretty urgent as i can't close the door on the Jeep therefore can't drive it.

Gildo
19-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Hinges need adjusting on the doors. the mounting holes are much bigger than the bolts, they thread through to a plate on the inside and sandwich the door panel between.
Dont mess with the door striker (yet)
With the door hanging on the hinges, slightly loosen off the torx bolts on the hinge and move the hinge till the door lines up with the frame, tighten the bolts and then check where the door catch fits.
You might need to adjust the striker the same way, loosen it slightly and try closing the door.
If you're lucky, the striker will move into the correct spot, tighten the bolts and you're good to go.
Once you have them all in the right spot you may need some touch up paint

millhouse
19-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I did not think there is any difference between models

sir_camel
19-11-2006, 09:18 PM
I think it's just the case that every damn jeep is different. Typical.

MattW
19-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Be careful when trying to undo the torx screws holding the hinge. I stripped a couple in some half doors i got when trying to adjust them. Ended up just leaving them, just means i have to slam them to get them to close lol

sir_camel
19-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Mine won't physically close. So i need to try to make this work.

MattW
19-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Im pretty sure that with how easy the screws were to strip that they arent hardened and are only mild steel. I was going to try and drill and tap them out but didnt bother as my half doors do close (although not perfectly).

LEXX
20-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Gildo is on the money with the torx bolts on the door. If the bolts aren't undoing for you easily then just garb the heat gun and heat them up a bit.

uglyprimate
20-11-2006, 02:27 PM
You sure both your doors fit a TJ? Sounds almost like one is for a YJ.

Manxie
20-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Mate I had the same problem, one of the doors (passenger) just never quite fitted right. Takes heaps of playing around but we ended up adding washers onto the hinge bit and that helped soooo much. :)

Jeff
20-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Wiz bought my old half doors, he had the same troubles i think

Gildo
20-11-2006, 03:01 PM
What do ya need doors for anyway?

sir_camel
20-11-2006, 03:24 PM
You sure both your doors fit a TJ? Sounds almost like one is for a YJ.
I'd worry if it was as thefre are virtually no YJ's in Aus.

Thanks for the help guys. Not too excited about tackling this in the 30 degree plus garage tonight though!

wiz
20-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Wiz bought my old half doors, he had the same troubles i think

nah , they close alright :wink: ...
just part of the rubber on the drivers side(i think) is a bit chewed requiring a gentle swing :D

Oh and X2 about applying heat to the torx screws to loosen up the locktight :wink:

sir_camel
20-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Do you think a 35 degree ambient temp is enough heat?? :D

LEXX
20-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Do you think a 35 degree ambient temp is enough heat?? :D

Not quite m8 ;)