View Full Version : Bikini Top Qs

Rodgebone
05-12-2006, 09:13 AM
im looking for opinions on bikini tops and windbreakers for our 02 Wrangler...im thinking a Bestop but not sure about the header channel - what are the pros and cons of a drilled in unit? as for the windbreaker im also looking at Bestop but dont like the cheezy plastic window - anyone seen other options? and also any input on cleaning the soft tops and windows would be appreciated (gotta clean Tigger today)

cheers, Roger and Robyn 8-)

Wooders
05-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Roger,
The no-drill pro's cons are:
Cons: A little more expensive. A little harder to fit the bikini until you get the right technique. when not used you have to remove & store to fit the factory softop/hardtop.
Pros: You don't have to drill into the windscreen surround (possible source of rust and leaking over time), Less prone to leaking water with the bikini fitted, wider range of bikinis available to suit.
Personally, we use & recommend the no-drill style.

As far as the bikinis go - IMHO bestop make the best.....Although we have something new coming ;)

Windjammer - there's a few different brands - but they are all pretty much the same. I haven't had any issue with the window in my windjammer - except now it's next to useless since I'll have to have the back seat in from now on......

Cleaning - There was an article in JP a few months back that compared the cleaners - Bestop & one other cleaned up the honours......

MattW
05-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Cant remember what your cage looked like. but i would make sure the cage you have isnt going to interfere with the header rail

Rodgebone
05-12-2006, 08:22 PM
make sure the cage you have isnt going to interfere with the header rail

yeah, not concerned about the header as theres lottsa room there but im wondering if the top will stretch over the sportcage padding ...lookin at the bestop bikini with a windjammer

Butt Craic
06-12-2006, 06:55 AM
I've got a Bestop Safari top with no-drill header and the TxT sport cage in the front of my Jeep and while I don't have it padded, there is definitely enough room for both to work together. Last time I drove any distance with just the safari top on, we actually put a towel in between the spreader bars and the top to totally elimiate the flapping at highway speeds. The padding on the overhead spreader bars would be a much better solution . . . that I should probably get around to one day!

As Wooders said, the no-drill header and safari top took a little longer the first time I fitted it but it now goes on in less than 5 mins. It only requires 2 bolts to be tightened down to clamp it to the windscreen frame and the fact I can't easily reach them from the ground due to the height of my Jeep is what causes it to take a little more time.

Rodgebone
06-12-2006, 07:00 AM
thanx Wooders and Butt Craic, exactly the answers i needed

Vman
06-12-2006, 09:15 AM
yeah, not concerned about the header as theres lottsa room there but im wondering if the top will stretch over the sportcage padding ...lookin at the bestop bikini with a windjammer
Rodger come to my house and try them out ...... that way you know for sure!!!

Rodgebone
06-12-2006, 10:21 AM
excellent idea Vic...pm me with your number and ill ring ya tonite

Wooders
06-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Mate - the bestop will definately fit over the ToysByTroy Sport cage (which you have).
Plus the padding will help queiten it down.

The Bestop bikinis can attach on the side by either clipping into the door surround, or velcro around the side bars without the door surrounds
The only problem I have is if I remove the Door surrounds the padding I have is a bit too thick for the velcro.....

You can sorta see it in this pic:
http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gallery2/d/70921-2/TT06_14080.jpg

Heck the above top is for sale- http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260059635251&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=016
(sorry couldn't resist the temptation;))

Rodgebone
06-12-2006, 11:13 AM
i see i see i see...thanks for that tidbit wooders...will be lookin at vics soon and then prolly order it up