View Full Version : What next? 4.88 gears or SYE.

Maz
07-12-2006, 01:18 PM
I am looking at spending a few more dollars on the TJ and am unsure as to which one to do first (current setup listed below). Not sure which is more important but was probably leaning towards the gear ratios cause at the moment 5th gear is useless and i dont have any vibes as i have a 1" MML and t/c drop.

If i were to change the gears can I keep my f+r ARB air lockers? If so what type of gears do I need? Im going to go 4.88's as I want bigger tyres in the future with a new suspension setup.

Or if I go the SYE first do I need to get upper adjustable control arms so I can set the pinion angle with the new SYE? If possible I would really like to leave the control arms until I get my new suspension kit. (RE 4.5" SF)

brooksy
07-12-2006, 04:13 PM
If you have standard ratios in the diffs ATM you will have to change the lockers. I struck this just recently while working on a customers '04 TJ. He blew the rear diff. He had 4.56's. I ordered a new set of Precision r&p off Sean (ABT) & looked up the ARB price list, rang ARB & ordered a new locker (RD117). Didn't think much of it as ARB only list 1 locker for the TJ. I sent the diff & locker to Diff Lapping in Brissy to get set-up & checked for tube staightness etc. Tony rang me up & said the locker don't fit. So I sent the old locker hemisphere to him to compare & BINGO the spigot faces were about 10-12mm different.
As it turns out ARB do make 2 lockers for TJ's. 1 locker for standard diffs ratios - RD117 & another locker for 4.56 & above - RD116 (I think that is the right parts no.). ARB don't list it as they are an export item :evil:
Tony had to basically tell them at Brissy that they do make 2 different lockers. Tony got told bluntly by the Main office in Brissy that they only supply 1 locker. 30min later after someone rang the Melbourne office found that they do make another locker & (hows this !! ) Brisbane ARB had 1 IN STOCK !!!!

Anyway as far as I know you will have to get another locker probably fr & rear. Make sure you make them aware of what centres you will be running before ordering !!!

brooksy

MR EXTREME JEEP
07-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Ratios. And new lokkas. OUCH.

bonza
08-12-2006, 08:05 AM
I think you may have to change your lockers when you re-gear.
look on the arb web site. I think they have a different part numbers once you go over 3.76 gears.
know this because I have 3.07 gears and was going to fit lockers, but changed my mind when I noticed the above as wouldn't be able to regear.

Nigel
08-12-2006, 10:08 AM
I think you can find 'thick ring' ratio's for the front, and possibly the rear so you won't have to change your lockers, contact Wooders I believe he may be able to help.

Maz
08-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Cheers.

Yeah i did a search and found a few threads that guys had done the gears after the lockers and although its not ideal i think they could keep them. Will contact wooders to find out more info.

MR SUPER STAR
08-12-2006, 10:24 AM
No thick ring gear is made for a d30, Just replace the carrier & use a thick gear on the D44. this will be the cheapest way for the ratio change to be carried out. I sell both the thick ring gears & ARB Carriers at my new shop. PM me for more details.

Matty ducati
08-12-2006, 05:07 PM
You could sell me the lockers for a good price ;) and then buy lockers to suit your new gears:)

accept
10-12-2006, 12:07 AM
you do not need to change your arb lockers going from std ratios to 4.88 , anyone that tells you that you have to is wrong.

I did it and there was / is no problems doing this way.

Matty ducati
10-12-2006, 09:50 AM
My head hurts!

brooksy
10-12-2006, 08:44 PM
I am going on personal experience with a customers TJ Jeep. We were given the standard ration ARB airlockers which didn't fit 4.56 ratio r&p set. ARB had to exchange for a different hemisphere offset airlocker to suit the 4.56 which we were told is the same offset for 4.88 , 5.13.

brooksy

millhouse
11-12-2006, 08:33 AM
you do not need to change your arb lockers going from std ratios to 4.88 , anyone that tells you that you have to is wrong.

I did it and there was / is no problems doing this way.

you may have been lucky and got the correct locker for your application

page 2 of this guide will answer all your questions on which locker part no's etc

http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf

accept
11-12-2006, 03:08 PM
no luck about it, it's fact. Don't be thinkin arb can supply these , correct their guides will tell you you need to change hemis. look elsewhere, eg - wooders.

brooksy
11-12-2006, 07:40 PM
you may have been lucky and got the correct locker for your application

page 2 of this guide will answer all your questions on which locker part no's etc

http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf

That's exactly what I was talking about in my first post. It shows the RD116 & the RD117 like I mentioned.
Thanks Millhouse :)

brooksy

Wallace
12-12-2006, 06:43 PM
For stock ratios, there is a particular ARB locker.

For higher than stock ratios, there is a differnet ARB locker (same price, but as Brooksy mentioned, there is a difference!).

I spoke to ARB and a few other company's over here who have dealt with ARB lockers and what not (and im sure if you ask "Brian" on here, he is the DANA king, he would probably know better) and they both said that there is a difference.

Anyhow - if you can live with the stock ratios and 33" tyres, then get an SYE, otherwise... re-gearing would be the go (of course, lockers being acceptable).

Thats my 2 cents.

Cheers

MR EXTREME JEEP
12-12-2006, 06:46 PM
You could always buy my 3:73 stock ratios and lockright front lokka. Then you only need a lokka for the rear as they are fine for 33's.:wink: