View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Kiwi Jeeper
17-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi, I might be moving to Australia at some stage next year and was wondering if its worth taking my '01 TJ across with me. What sort of taxes, duties be involved?

I have a '01 TJ with OME lift, 1" MML, 1" BL, JKS Quick discos, front and rear ARB bars and 265/75R16 BFG Muds. Its been with me for over 3 years and I know the history. I am the second owner since 28k, previous owner never took it off-road.

My question is, is it worth the effort or should I just sell it here and start with a new toy in Aus?

Thanks
Kiwi Jeeper

silver_jk
17-12-2006, 08:02 PM
worth looking in to but the same sort of tj would be between 15-25 grand here

cheeper come closer to the new jk comeing out thats for sure

MR EXTREME JEEP
17-12-2006, 09:16 PM
With the TK coming soon the TJ on the market will be even cheaper. Just buy one when you get here. Alot easier.
But I'm a lazy bugger....

Darius
18-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Before quarantine let it into the country it will have to be clean, I mean spotless, every part, so you could eat your dinner off it.

Kiwi Jeeper
18-12-2006, 07:53 AM
You mean I would be able to see parts of the underside that I have never seen since buying it in 2003!! Great.

If we move, we will be taking furniture and stuff and I thought if we get the container and put the TJ in it as well then I might not have to worry about buying another one and spending the time bringing it all together again. Any ideas on the costs for cleaning or duties and taxes?

Cheers

Gildo
18-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Leave it behind, but bring all the goodies with ya.
Put it all back to stock and sell the TJ in NZ.
With the $ you get , buy a cheap stocker here thats never seen a dirt track and put all the fruit back on it.
By the time you import paying freight, GST etc you would be behind the 8 ball then the $ for AU compliance??
As others have said you can get a reasonablely priced used TJ here and with the TK on its was TJs will only get cheaper.

Kiwi Jeeper
18-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Well, I have sold all the things that I took off over the years. So can't really put it back together to stock. I guess, I'll start again with the knowledge and hindsight not to make the same mistakes again and build a proper one this time. I now know I should have gone with a 4" lift and not a 2.5" one to start with.... 33/34" tyres vs 32".... etc.

I had done all the labour myself, so I am really only losing on the cost of the parts.

Cheers and thanks for all the comments

ARB87U
18-12-2006, 09:37 AM
you can buy mine for 30k it is a proper one ;)

Jeeps
18-12-2006, 03:13 PM
yeah but yours is yellow! Ewww!! ;)

ASH79
18-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Go Yellow Jeeps!! haha

Darius
18-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Sell everything, when I moved from the mainland to the west island years ago, I bought one suitcase (port for the aussies) with me.
Get hold of Australian newpapers for car prices, white goods etc, go online and search for prices.
www.daff.gov.au
www.customs.gov.au
www.bigw.com.au
www.harveynorman.com.au

Tasar
18-12-2006, 07:56 PM
if you've got water in NZ stay there as no water here

seriously get one when your here

which part of OZ moving 2?

Kiwi Jeeper
18-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Thinking about Melbourne. Talking about water, its thundering down outside!! Flash floods in the afternoon in Rotorua.

Looks like I will have to recover as much as I can here. Then get a new toy and start again.

Thanks

Kiwi Jeeper
18-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Has to be black....

I wanted the plate BLKBUT (black beauty), but apparently its too rude to get - it can also be read in a different manner. So decided against fancy plates.

Gildo
19-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Black Butt is a species of timber, I dont see anything ruuude about that.

ARB87U
19-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Has to be black....

I wanted the plate BLKBUT (black beauty), but apparently its too rude to get - it can also be read in a different manner. So decided against fancy plates.

can always respray her :monkey:

silver_jk
19-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Sell everything, when I moved from the mainland to the west island years ago, I bought one suitcase (port for the aussies) with me.
Get hold of Australian newpapers for car prices, white goods etc, go online and search for prices.
www.daff.gov.au
www.customs.gov.au
www.bigw.com.au
www.harveynorman.com.au

yeah but you were only here on a visitors visa :mrgreen: hehe jks :)

Darius
19-12-2006, 07:35 PM
haHa Blue, it was so long ago, back in the old days, no visa, no passport, in a DC3

Tasar
19-12-2006, 07:54 PM
do kiwi's need visa's - if thats the case i'm sure bondi should be empty ;)

silver_jk
19-12-2006, 08:27 PM
do kiwi's need visa's - if thats the case i'm sure bondi should be empty ;)

lol thats so true :)