View Full Version : Bump stops.

blujeeper
23-12-2006, 11:27 AM
:?: Gday all
I have just bought some new Dobinson springs + 35mm & Rancho adj shocks
40-70mm lift & am wondering what length bump stops I will need so as not to damage the shocks from bottoming out. I would also like to know where to get them.

Maxy
23-12-2006, 06:54 PM
2 x 20mm bumpstop extensions should do it, I used the Old Man Emu ones from ARB, they are less than $20 for the pair.

krankieone
23-12-2006, 07:16 PM
when you remove the old springs test fit the shock jack up the diff (without spring) untill the shock runs out of travel then measure the gap under the bumpstop this is how much you need to extend your bumpstops

ashc
27-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, this is sort of related to this post and there is a question in there somewhere! I thought I would beat the crowd and get in early to have my vehicle inspected so I can change my rego from NT to WA while everyone else was at the shops. There was still a 90 min wait to get the thing looked at ( I got there at 0725) but after the third degree from the examiner all he could find wrong with my TJ was a non working rear eye level stop light and one perished bump stop. I though he may let this go as the tail light is probably just a globe and well, one bump stop will not really affect the on road safety of the vehicle. Was I wrong the report stated that all 4 bump stops need replacing and the tail light was defective. So at 0930 I finally left to go home, make my repairs and try again (with the extra inspection fee).

So after all that, my question is: where do I get repacement bump stops from or is there an alternative to buying them (ie can they be fabbed sort of like the XJ ones). I do not want to go genuine as I know how much this costs.

Also when I got home I got the wife to try the brakes and alas the third tail light was working and has done on the numerous times I have tried it since (which begs the question- do they need more than one minor defect to make you come back)

The territory is much better in regard to vehicle inspection, it takes no more than 20 mins to have the complete inspection done and if you vehicle does not pass YOU DO NOT PAY. Inspections are also done annually for vehs past a certain age (3 yrs I think).Also you can use any certified mechanic to conduct the inspection so the Govt does not have a monopoly on the system and there are no big crowds waiting in line.

Just my 2 bobs worth

Cheers

Ash

ashc
27-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Well, after a visit to Bunnings, I found a rubber mallet attachment that you put over the front of a claw hammer to use it as a rubber mallet and what do you know they are the exact same diameter as a TJ bumpstop. I bolted 2 of them together and they come out about an inch longer than the factory ones. Cost: $3.90 each so $31.20 in total with bolts I had at home already. Took an afternoon cos all of the springs gotta come out.

Hope this gets me through tomorrow morning!!

krankieone
29-12-2006, 10:56 AM
looks the goods :)