PDA

View Full Version : Just a few quick questions from a new member

ash
27-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey,
Not a jeep owner yet but planning on buying one as soon as my current car sells. Ive been browsing the forums and trying to research as much as possible so i know what i expect when i get one.
Just wanted to ask you experts a few questions though.

I know its a beast off road but how do they go as a tow vehicle? (Dont worry nothing huge, just a jetski.)

How do the soft tops go on a highway at 100? Are they nice and tight or do they flap about a bit?

I had more questions but i cant think of them right now. I'll add them up later i guess.
And opinions on this would be sweet too as this is one local to me.
*jeep for sale* (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/JEEP/WRANGLER/details.aspx?Model=WRANGLER&__Nne=20&__N=4294965086+85+4294965085+834+285+257&Make=JEEP&State=South%20Australia&silo=1003&state_id=85&distance=25&Cr=1&seot=0&__sid=10FC6428166A&R=427111&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&trecs=3)

Ando_13
27-12-2006, 10:23 PM
I just towed a pretty heavy trailer just under 5000kms with the TJ and it has no probs pulling the weight, just be aware that when its 45+degrees outside she wont like you trying to hum along at 120km/h :-( for 6 hours!

So for the Jetski from home to your fav spot no worries as long as your fav spot aint a days drive away! I race motocross and have used the TJ to tow my bikes all around SE QLD with no probs at all and am about to buy a jetski as well

If you have any incling that you might be annoyed by roof noise, then look a bit harder and do yourself a favour and get a Hardtop straight up. Cheaper to get a softtop later if you really need one.

bender
27-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Dont know about the towing, but you will definately get annoyed with the soft top at 100kms the first few times. But after a while it doesnt bother you as much. Better if you find a hardtop to start the get yourself a softtop later like Ando_13 said.

Jeeps
27-12-2006, 11:18 PM
but you will definately get annoyed with the soft top at 100kms the first few times. But after a while it doesnt bother you as much. Better if you find a hardtop to start the get yourself a softtop later like Ando_13 said.

agree, however by putting the fan/aircon on even a low setting will puff out the windows tightening the top making it 'flap' less, not that it really flaps anyway ;)

Brisey
27-12-2006, 11:27 PM
I tow a 12 ft pop top caravan with my TJ & it goes very good. It handles the weight well accelerates well but a bit sad up steep hills though. The caravan weighs 750 KG & I can sit on 100 no problems & uses about 18 L/100km.

Cheers

Bri

jun180
28-12-2006, 12:26 AM
the softop doesnt bother me over 100km/h. its just like having the windows open in a normal car, just slightly louder. it does flap a bit in strong wind but i was quite suprised how good it was with it on...

you will forget any problems with the soft top when you take it down and cruise with no top on, its fantastic. but if your worried bout noise it gets pretty loud roof off on a windy day on the highway!

and towing a jetski should be a piece of cake. big boats and heavy loads, the TJ is not up for...limited towing weight because of its small size/weight/brake package. but a couple ski's on the back shouldnt be a drama at all.

ash
28-12-2006, 09:21 AM
thats great to hear guys.
the roof noise isnt really going to bother me... its the passengers ;)
im used to things in my car being annoying.
i currently have a 180sx with a stripped rear interior, coilovers and race seats.
its noisy, rides like crap and is annoying to get in and out of.
but its my baby :)

Shetani
28-12-2006, 09:29 AM
I agree with Jun180

I have a 30 minute trip to and from work each day in 90-100 zones and first off it's a bit "wow that's loud" although it doesn't really "flap" that much - depends on the wind I think, but I'm used to it now and it's just part of Wrangler and/or soft top driving.

I won't be rushing out to spend big $$ on audio yet though...

Cheers
Mike

Wooders
28-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Just in relation to the Jeep for sale in the link - IMHO is a little pricey for a 97.

hillsjeep
28-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey Ash, you wouldn't be the guy in a 180SX who gave me a really good Jeep wave just out of Bridgewater a couple of days ago would you?

ash
28-12-2006, 12:10 PM
nah wasnt me.

expensive? really?
thats the cheapest one ive found so far in adelaide.
they all seem to be around 15, even the 97's.