View Full Version : Help! can't remove old steering damper

thumper
07-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey guys, i'm trying to remove the old steering damper and i'm not having any luck with the bolt that is attached to the steering arm end (the one closest to the centre of the vehicle)... i got the nut off no problem, but trying to get the bolt to move is a bitch. from what i can see it's a tapered end going into the hole in the steering arm, and that has obviously seized up over the last 5 or so years.

Apart from belting the sh_t out of the end of the bolt with the hammer, hoping to loosen it (which i have tried for the last half hour with no luck) does anyone have any helpful tips?

much appreciated!

BennyWA
07-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I used a ratchet strap and a big hammer!! :)

Chad_TJ
07-01-2007, 05:11 PM
another one is to sit a large weight behind it and hit the front with a biggish hammer sorta sandwiching it out, and after a few its it should pop out. good luck its a awful job.

yumpet
07-01-2007, 06:08 PM
tie rod puller is an easy way :p mine popped off really easy with one and it only cost like $20 from repco

Larry
07-01-2007, 08:03 PM
and if all else fails buy some stuff called penatrein and put that on it and leave it for a few days then come back at it with the tie rod puller and it should pop off. i just changed mine it took me a month worth of weekend trying to get mine out.

thumper
07-01-2007, 08:19 PM
tie rod puller! sounds like a plan. thanks heaps fellas.

Damian
07-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Leave the nut off and drive around - that's sure to make the bolt disappear!!

<note: this was a poor attempt at humour - please do not attempt this>

krankieone
07-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I used a gear puller combined with large hammer and lots of swearing

del97td
07-01-2007, 11:30 PM
use a tie rod remover there are two types one that looks like a fork with a big handle to hit the other is a bolt type that pushes on the end of the thread if you arent re using the damper no1 is the qiuckest and easiest ps leave the nut on the end or when it pops you or your radiator might have a hole where there shouldnt be
del

uglyprimate
08-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Pipe wrench on the threaded end sticking out. Bigger the better. But only do this if you are discarding the old unit.

killa
08-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Leave the nut off and drive around - that's sure to make the bolt disappear!!

<note: this was a poor attempt at humour - please do not attempt this>
Hahahaha :)

Gildo
08-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Im with Kranky LOTS OF expletives

xflow
10-01-2007, 07:31 AM
I just drove into Pedders and asked them how to get it out, they did it in a couple of mins and didn't charge me.

thumper
10-01-2007, 10:44 AM
bastards. did you see what they used?

i had another crack at it with a bearing puller monday arvo and got nowhere. just sourced a tie rod puller so i'll give that a shot tonight. this far in i'm too stubborn to let someone else do it, i'm determined to nail the bloody thing tonight.

Wooders
10-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I usually remove the drag link from the vehicle - then it's easier to seperate them as you have better access and can brace it better from flexing when tapping ;)

Jeepwolf
10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I just used a jack under the threaded end with a little bit of pressure and wacked the side with a hammer, 2 wacks and it was off