PDA

View Full Version : Busted jeep.

Roadie
09-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi got a question for you all.

Went out for a play today out near my place. Pretty steep hill with very rocky section. Got about half way up when run out of traction/clearence. :???:
Backed up about 5 meters and had another good crack at it, had rear right hand wheel off the ground and when it landed it broke the output shaft out of the transfer case. Didn't think i hit it that hard. Then it felt like i lost the rear brakes and slid down the hill backwards with only the front wheels locked up. Scary :evil:

Is this a common breakage??
Should the brake's worked??
My ride is a 06 wrangler, stock suspension and 31" MTR's

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/roadie_photos/Jeep/DSCF0122.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/roadie_photos/Jeep/DSCF0126.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/roadie_photos/Jeep/DSCF0127.jpg

Bundybear
09-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Maybe it might possibly hopefully kinda sorta be covered by warranty maybe we hope?

Steve F
09-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Brakes should still work, unless the driveshaft took a brakeline out with it but unlikely. It's not real common for them to snap but they do bend. Looks like the right time to put in a slip yoke eliminator and dual cardan driveshaft.

Cheers
Steve

Roadie
09-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Brakes should still work, unless the driveshaft took a brakeline out with it but unlikely. It's not real common for them to snap but they do bend. Looks like the right time to put in a slip yoke eliminator and dual cardan driveshaft.

Cheers
Steve

Couldn't see any fluid and drove alright home in 4wd with the tail shaft removed. :hammer: Can't afford a slip yoke or dual cardan got my wedding in 4 weeks. :hammer: :blah: :wall:

zzzz
09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Roadie,

That is a relatively common breakage.
The stock output shaft is not a very capable design.
The description you give is the usual way that they go.
Airborne with zero traction one second and then with heaps when you touch down and tyres grip.

Cheap solution is to get another stock output shaft and replace.
It is a pretty easy job opening up the transfer case and modifying it and anyone should be able to do it with hand tools and a lazy saturday.

A much better solution would be to get a SYE kit including a new driveshaft.
You can self install this easily as well if you feel like doing it yourself.
You do not necessarily need to pay for a double cardan style shaft which can save you money.
If you do go double cardan you will need to ensure the driveline angles are modified to suit.

Read up on the SYE kit install here: http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/sye/sye-1.htm
Lots of pictures to help you out :)

Pinion angle information as well: http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/pinion/pinion-1.htm

If you are not mechanically minded then just give your local jeep shop a call and talk through your options.
I would not personally bother putting the standard output shaft back in unless you are confident you can adjust your driving style.

Good luck with it all.

Z

LEXX
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
OK ,

1) As ZZZZ said, common problem with an airborne front end.

2) Claim it on warrenty, just make sure you put the stock 29's back on before you do it.

3) If the don't do it under warrent install an SYE, you will in the future anyway.

If you want a stock output shaft just PM me I have a few of them.

Roadie
09-01-2007, 09:47 PM
OK ,

1) As ZZZZ said, common problem with an airborne front end.

2) Claim it on warrenty, just make sure you put the stock 29's back on before you do it.

3) If the don't do it under warrent install an SYE, you will in the future anyway.

If you want a stock output shaft just PM me I have a few of them.

It was actually the rear that let go.
My jeep dealer is pretty good and they have said to me that they will let me know if i need to put on the stocker tyres. Think the big winch and Lightforce lights reduce my "never been off road" claim.
Don't want to spent too much on it. Looking at a new one. 8-)

Roadie
12-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Well I am impressed. Broke the jeep on tuesday :mad:
Got it back today. Thats impressive. ;)
All under warrenty. Thats brilliant. :hump:
Dropped it in at 2pm and my jeep dealer had the transfer case in bits in time to order the parts to he shipped in overnight. They rang on wed and said that i should be right to go that night. Rang back later and said they had run out of time. And back today. All that time i had a top of the range (i think) kia courtisey car. (can't spell )
You hear of people saying "they lost conferdince in the product but the after sales service made up for it". I feel that.

8-)

Thanks for all the advice. :%

MR EXTREME JEEP
12-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Congrats on your first real break. What a feeling. Did you get the broken shaft back. Gotta mount it dude.
Well done.
PS good luck for the wedding day.
Cheers
OIIIIIIIO

TakeTwo
12-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Do you often mount your drive shafts dude ?

Watch your axles when you get the front off the ground as well.. They are made from tooth picks

Richo
12-01-2007, 12:38 PM
back to your earlier comment, the rear drums wont ever really work well in reverse, especially down a steep hill. It will feel like you have no rear brakes- and the fronts will be unloaded and will lock easily.

Keep them (the rear drums) adjusted on a regular basis, best you can do.