View Full Version : Softop window storage solution.

MR EXTREME JEEP
23-01-2007, 06:07 PM
I just came up with a great idea to store the windows on the TJ without having to roll them up, fold them up or even disconnect them.:mrgreen::lol:
I'm pretty proud of my efforts. Was just taking the top off and I thought why dont I try this and see if it works. To my surprise it works like a charm. If I had a brand new wrangler and I was concerned about scratching them I may not want to do it this way but given the bush scratches I have earnt over the years this is not going to make a difference at all.
Leaving the top of each window still connected and the two rear pillars disconnected with the window latches open but the top disconnected from the window frame I simply tuck the two side windows back underneith the top but ontop of the rollcage and speaker pods. The pressure of the top will hold them inplace. I then tuck the rear window back into the car ontop of the pods also and finally use the rear window lower support bar resting on the pods to hold the lot up. I reattatch the rear pillars and clip down the front clips and viola. Soft top windows are completely out of the way and flat packed too. So if the weather turns bad or I end up driving at night after a hot day and its a bit chillie I loosen the clips and pillars pull everything out and im done all toasty warm again.
http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gallery2/d/86433-2/IMG_5128.JPG

jeep_boy
23-01-2007, 06:36 PM
i like it your a genius im deffinatly going to have to give this one a go

Wallace
23-01-2007, 08:34 PM
yeah mate, thats shithot!

Jeff
23-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Used to do the same thing with the rear window. Nice work with the side ones.

jun180
23-01-2007, 09:31 PM
wow pure genius! well done...thats gonna be my setup from now on! I dont give a shit bout scratches...buy a new set of tinted windows when i need to!

Jeeps
24-01-2007, 10:30 AM
just don't stretch or pull on your zippers too much :)

Axeman
25-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Great idea wonder how it will go after a bit of use? Will try myself. another handy piece I've picked up is using cheap seatbelt shoulder pad things(? don't know what you'd call them) on the rear seat belts by wrapping around both belts it stops them from flapping in the wind and cuts noise;)

MR EXTREME JEEP
25-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Ummmmmmm. I was on the freeway yesterday and the rear window worked its way loose. Will need to secure it a little better me thinks. It was fine around town up to about 60k's but wind through the car at 100k's was a bit too much.:wall:

Jeeps
25-01-2007, 05:13 PM
You might be able to use soem straps on the rear window retainer ???

krankieone
25-01-2007, 05:27 PM
You might be able to use soem straps on the rear window retainer ???

Jeeps what are soem straps ?

I really like the idea and was trying to work out how to do it without the soundbar.

Jeeps
25-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Soem straps are similiar to some straps but spelt wrong ;)

H.G.
25-01-2007, 09:15 PM
I have tried thismethod before and it failed miserably,
but I did however not use the rear gate bar, today I left the bar in and tucked it up
held in fine cruising to work at um... lets just say 100kph

krankieone
26-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Soem straps are similiar to some straps but spelt wrong ;)

DAM I thaught they must be some funky new type I didn't know about :hammer:

colinsblue05
18-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I bought A carrier bag from Melb over the net for about $150-160
Its 5 peaces of thin fleet stitched and bound at one end with straps.
You simply lay it out place your rear window on one peace [bar and all]
then fleet, side window,fleet 3rd window fleet. Gently roll the lot from the bottom
Fasten straps and slide it into A black bag and zip it up.
The bag fits perfectly across the back of the TJ and came with strap that fasten in seconds
to the roll bars.And it doesn't matter if the roof is folded back or up as it sits below the body ledge between the bar and the back door.Its dust and water resistant,even on the beach.I know I make it sound like a hassle but the hole rolling and storing process only takes A couple
of minutes and less to take them out!
I store mine in it over winter when I use the hard top [7 months] as well as driving round with it, and haven't
damaged them yet. as long as you leave the strap loose when you store them!
Happy to send you some pic's if you like? maybe you can still get them or have one made cheaper if ya lucky!

jeep_boy
19-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Great idea wonder how it will go after a bit of use? Will try myself. another handy piece I've picked up is using cheap seatbelt shoulder pad things(? don't know what you'd call them) on the rear seat belts by wrapping around both belts it stops them from flapping in the wind and cuts noise;)

i found that zip ties work best for this just carry side cutters with you incase you want to use the seat belts

Vman
19-03-2007, 09:30 PM
i found that zip ties work best for this just carry side cutters with you incase you want to use the seat belts
Two pieces of Velcro will do the trick 8-).
then fleet, side window,fleet 3rd window fleet. Gently roll the lot from the bottom.
maybe you can still get them or have one made cheaper if ya lucky!
I made my own. $40 for material and a use of an industrial sawing machine! It works like a dream. Mine are at home rolled up for the months, or in the tent when wheeling :) .

MR EXTREME JEEP
19-03-2007, 09:47 PM
then fleet, side window,fleet 3rd window fleet. Gently roll the lot from the bottom
Fasten straps and slide it into A black bag and zip it up.
The bag fits perfectly across the back of the TJ and came with strap that fasten in seconds
to the roll bars.And it doesn't matter if the roof is folded back or up as it sits below the body ledge between the bar and the back door.Its dust and water resistant,even on the beach.I know I make it sound like a hassle but the hole rolling and storing process only takes A couple
of minutes and less to take them out!
I store mine in it over winter when I use the hard top [7 months] as well as driving round with it, and haven't
damaged them yet. as long as you leave the strap loose when you store them!
Happy to send you some pic's if you like? maybe you can still get them or have one made cheaper if ya lucky!

Yes this is good. But the whole thing of attatching the windows is what takes time. The initial connection withthe zipper. This way you never need to disconnect them entirely. they are always 1/2 done up. if your concerned about scratches you could slip you covers over the windows like socks before you tuck them up I guess.
I must admit I have done it a few times since its conception and it works better every time. A coule of big bulldog clips hold the window together nicely as added security to stom them from working there way loose if I ever decide to drive like HG.