PDA

View Full Version : SYE (light duty vs heavy duty)

jeepgirl
28-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Ok Im having a bit of dilemma in choosing a sye.
I believe i have the option of L/Duty, H/Duty and Super Short. Not up for super short because im not planning to smash my jeep into things or compete.
I was told to just get a Light Duty sye, but then others think it would be better to go to a H/Duty one.

So opinions please and who is running what and why?

starter
28-01-2007, 07:24 PM
from what i've been told the light duty(cut and drill) is fine if installed correctly

krankieone
28-01-2007, 07:34 PM
My thaughts are if your going to upgrade it do it properly once I'd go for the heavy duty

Mooreyfiveo
28-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Don't want to poach your thread Jeepgirl. but I'm thinking SYE as well and plan to go ne bigger than 31s (maybe 32s) on 2" OME and 1.25 BL. Would L/Duty be ok in my case?

jeepgirl
28-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Ok bud... no poaching my thread now. haha

Its all good. Ask away.
I dont think it really matters what set up you have. For me anyway, its about what im planning to drive, realiability and strength of the part im going to put in there. I think a light duty sye would be okay for most but like Krankie pointed out, if your going to upgrade, might as well spend a little more money and go the heavy duty.

Im thinking this is what im going to do. Not up for anything breaking sooner then needs be.

cj5350
28-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm still running a light duty with longarms and 35's claws etc.. and have had no problems...but having said that...I still have a super short to fit..
If you have the money, go ahead and spend it but it's your drive shaft that you don't want to skimp on...
I have yet to see a SYE fail that hs been installed correctly but have seen dozens of drive shaft let go in a big way due to cheap unis and lack of maintence...

Wooders
29-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I have yet to hear of a light duty actually failing........
I have heard/seen a few instal Fups, but if performed correctly and assuming the stock shaft is straight then for those with upto 33" tyres and non-comp should have no problems whatsoever.

The benefit of the HD unit is if the stock shaft is bent then it make sense to up in one hit, and the extra driveshaft length is nice....but really Light Duty SYE's IMHO have a poor image for little reason.
The other thing is installing a light duty is much faster......

Don't get me wrong if you WANT HD or SS, then we'll happily accommodate, but for most they don't really need it........