View Full Version : squeak, tick from front left GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

jun180
29-01-2007, 07:29 PM
hey all

well i recently got my jeep serviced which included a rotor machining and brake pad change. anyway it developed a squeak that was slight at first, then got progressively louder. it was constant with the rotation of the wheel and at exactly the same point on the turn it would make a slight tick sound.

I took it back to the place that got it serviced and their service was fantastic and had a look at it for free, and managed to get rid of the sound but it came back about a week later.

It is from the front left, like a 'squeak tick (sometimes even a slight knock type sound)' with every rotation, applying the brakes makes it softer but still can hear it slightly. searched the forums a bit an the XJ owners reckon that it could be a wheel bearing, have not jacked it up and checked for play will do that tomorrow, any other suggestions/test i can do to solve this? its driving me insane :hammer:

Jeeps
30-01-2007, 01:01 AM
If it's certainly not a 'brakepad on disc' sound then it sounds like "The Angry Squirrel" which is the Uni. Often it's just dust or moisture or similar. If you get underneath and pump the grease nipples with some extra grease this may solve it for you. Mine did this at about 70,000klm and i ingored it and it went away by about 80,000klm and 2 years later i havn't heard it since.

I've read about it quite often on other jeep forums and it's usually always the front left, even for american TJ's.

coxy
30-01-2007, 08:53 PM
check ur wheel bearings mate