PDA

View Full Version : My new TB spacer

Bundybear
07-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, I decided to try and design and make my own throttle body spacer.
I guess all I can say is.... SO FAR SO GOOD!

Ran my first one through my machine at work last night (dont tell the boss) Still gotta finish the outside yet, maybe tonight, dunno.

I`ve machined it outa 25mmx100mmx100mm aluminium, actual size of a bought TB spacer is 80mmx80mm, but I`m gunna TRY somethin different!
Will let you know what that is, once I`ve done it (not sure if it will work yet)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Mrsg27/100_1777.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Mrsg27/100_1776.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Mrsg27/100_1775.jpg

danjeep
07-02-2007, 01:29 PM
nice work there, let us know how it goes

Wallace
07-02-2007, 08:58 PM
not to blow you down in a heap... but i though the idea of a TB spacer was for it to "swirl" the air into the intake... not just simply move the intake hose further from the intake manifold.

I know mine has groves in a "spiral" on the inside of the wall there. I have also seen them with small "fans" too.

Just a thought.

Gildo
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
FROGSHIT
WTF is a "SWIRL" gonna do when its sucked in 6 different directions inside the intake manifold? ?
Air that is sucked into a throttle body will travel fastest when it isnt screwed with or interfered with in any way.
Show me independant Dyno prooof with real figures that this SWIRL does anything for power or efficency and I'll lik my own balls.

We're talkin about an EFI engine here, the air/fuel ratio is controlled by a computer within known paremeters, including air temperature and density, fuel pressure, injector duration and throttle position.

Where does the "SWIRL" come into this equation?

murray
07-02-2007, 10:14 PM
FROGSHIT
WTF is a "Swirl" gonna do when its sucked in 6 different directions inside the intake manifold? ?
Air that is sucked into a throttle body will travell fastest when it isnt screwed with or interfered with in any way.
Show me independant Dyno prooof with real figures otherwise and I'll lik my own balls.
i want pics
:mrgreen:

Gildo
07-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Muzz, show me the Dyno graphs and I'll send ya the pics ;)

Better still show me a diesel XJ thats still running @ 250,000 km without a new head/gasket/engine......

Wallace
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Gildo - chill mate... lay off the alcohol for a while!

Im slightly confused by your "rant". Where is it sucked in 6 different directions? As far as i knew there was one hole that flowed air into the intake manifold.

For arguements sake - lets say the air does flow in, in 6 different directions... now the air is going any which way it likes... lets say the "swirl" helps control all the different directions into 1 tornado type air movement... surely that will flow better than air going any which way?

Anyhow - im not here to argue about a fuggin throttle body spacer... i was just commenting on Bundy's spacer... i thought thats why he posted it up here. I could be wrong however.

Im glad you noticed that he drilled some holes in some aluminium - congrats. Who cares if a million other people have done it. I bet that they dont all look identical to bundy's though. So stick it up your clacker (With the ho's from saint kilda).

And besides - this is a free forum... Bundy can post this if he likes. If a mod doesnt like it - then they can remove it... If you cant say anything particularly nice about his spacer, or even comment on what you think could be wrong with it - then fugg off... we dont need you here.

My two cents.

murray
07-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Muzz, show me the Dyno graphs and I'll send ya the pics ;)

Better still show me a diesel XJ thats still running @ 250,000 km without a new head/gasket/engine......
gotcha mine had done 287000 km before it pooed
i will have a8 x 10 matt finish autographed thanks

Gildo
07-02-2007, 10:44 PM
OK Muzz so now its Poooooed? Its still a Diesel shitebox and when is the next $10K repair due?
Might have to post pics of me likn your balls?

Wallace, Im chilled just the crap thats posted here some times makes me wanna puke.
Like XJ Diesels are good jeeps? WTF with that?
TB spacers yeah, increase the volume of the intake manifold and what? A swirl is gonna do what? once the air passes into the manifold it is gonna be sukked in 1 of 6 direction how is a swirl gonna help?
All Im sayin is show me INDEPENDANT tests and I'll take some notice.
Seems that if anyone spends $100+ on an "upgrade" they aint gonna turn round and say "I wasted my money, this is total BS".

Jeff
07-02-2007, 10:49 PM
The spiral theory works like water running down a drain - it goes faster when it swirls down. Personally I dont think it makes that much of a difference. If it really worked then cars would come with it as standard.

btw it is sucked into 6 directions after the throttle. The argument is why spiral it when it its about to be split anyway.

@ Bundybear - nice fab work. Good place to start with making your own shite.

murray
07-02-2007, 11:06 PM
OK Muzz so now its Poooooed? Its still a Diesel shitebox and when is the next $10K repair due?
Might have to post pics of me likn your balls?

Wallace, Im chilled just the crap thats posted here some times makes me wanna puke.
Like XJ Diesels are good jeeps? WTF with that?
TB spacers yeah, increase the volume of the intake manifold and what? A swirl is gonna do what? once the air passes into the manifold it is gonna be sukked in 1 of 6 direction how is a swirl gonna help?
All Im sayin is show me INDEPENDANT tests and I'll take some notice.
Seems that if anyone spends $100+ on an "upgrade" they aint gonna turn round and say "I wasted my money, this is total BS".
its not pooded coz i fitted a new donk
i will pass on the bll lkn
now sit down coz i tend to agree with you on the tb spacers
in therory the engine will be torqueyer coz increased plenum affect
the swirl affect only works with acarb or tbi set ups as the jeep is mpi air flow needs to be direct as possible

Gildo
07-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Amazing how physics,chemistry and scientific proof take a back seat when $ have been spent on Shite that has no real evidence of increasing performance or economy.

A Bigger throttle body will let in more air, a cold air induction set up will increase the density of that air. These are proven engine enhancements.
A TBS will increase the volume of the manifold between the throttle plate and the intake valves, reduceing turbulence, thereby increasing volumetric intake to the combustion chambers.
If you arent keeping up, maybe you should consider moving to the thread about chrome headlight surrounds? Or the Rant thread?

Gildo
07-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Hmm, complete new donk eh Muzz ?
Yep them diesels are economic to run?

So I see we concur on at least one point.
The "Swirl" is probably good to have on the intake of a carbied donk to assist in the mixing of fuel and air, up to the point of entering the intake manifold then all hell breaks loose and what ever is there gets sukd in 6 different directions, possibly 1500 ways every minute!
I guess a little swirl is just gonna get anihilated anyway....

Matty ducati
07-02-2007, 11:19 PM
The spacer can also increase the air space in between the throttle and engine which is known to help with down low torque.
If people didnt post stuf like this then ausjeep would be a little quite.
After all this forum is ABOUT JEEPS.
Back up. :)

Gildo
07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah thats what I said Matty.
The benefits of a TBS are well documented, as is their availability.
Its nothing new.
The swirl and its alleged benefits is what Im carryin on about.

stu
08-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Nice way to hammer a guy who at least having a go for himself.

keep up the good work!

Gildo
08-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Nice spacer Bundy, very BLING.

Wallace
08-02-2007, 07:43 AM
gildo - i would give up... you've done your lot.

Anyhow - Bundy, let us know how it goes mate.

Bundybear
08-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Well, well, well..... didn`t mean to throw a cat amongst the pidgy`s but hey, whats a lil controversy here and there! hehehehe

S`ok though had same argument with guy at work. I told him it does nothin, (and I couldn`t be stuffed machining a "Multistart, high pitch, thread!"

Was gunna do some more last night, but.....FORGOT TO TAKE IT TO WORK! Will try tonight. Yeah ya right other ppl have made there own, but none will match my greatness and skill! (oops ego trip there....)

Will keep ya`s posted.

NOW PLAY NICE!!

OzJeeper
08-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah thats what I said Matty.
The benefits of a TBS are well documented, as is their availability.
Its nothing new.
The swirl and its alleged benefits is what Im carryin on about.

Have to agree here and our dyno tests done some years back confirm this. With the advent of the later model inlet manifold the usefullness of the TBS was negated and there was no percieved gain in HP at all. So if you have an early model TJ, XJ, ZJ with the "straight looking" (tech term) inlet manifold, then a TBS is of some use.

Bundybear
09-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, it`s finished! gunna install tonight, I hope.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Mrsg27/100_1780.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Mrsg27/100_1782.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Mrsg27/100_1781.jpg

Decide to machine mine with some "custom heat sinks" around the outer shape, for a little bit cooler air (thats the theory behind it anyways)

blujeeper
09-02-2007, 06:00 PM
If you are thinking about making a few count me in. Always willing to buy good Aussie workmanship.

Bundybear
09-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Was thinking about making a few for other ppl who are interested. Still fine tuning my design (as prototypes need) I`m pretty sure I need to take off one corner for the air sensor is in the way on the intake manifold...but will see.

So, if I get at least 10 orders, I`ll figure out a price per unit and get back to ya`s

itchy
09-02-2007, 06:13 PM
why doesnt someone dyno a before and after to settle it ? i did this with a well known performance chip and it made 1H.P not the 15 they reckoned. p.s i,ve got a t.b.s on mine seems to work or is it the placebo effect(ask wooders he loves this shit)

Wallace
09-02-2007, 07:03 PM
I would... but i dont have a dyno lying around that i can go use... unfortunately.

I reckon the TBS does work... but people need to remember that for the $100 you spend... you are only going to get $100 worth of performance. If i go out and buy a supercharger for $2500... will get more performance, thats just the way things go.

I will have to see if there is anywhere in perth that will let me "borrow" their dyno.

Cheers
Will

Manxie
09-02-2007, 07:06 PM
I would... but i dont have a dyno lying around that i can go use... unfortunately.

I reckon the TBS does work... but people need to remember that for the $100 you spend... you are only going to get $100 worth of performance. If i go out and buy a supercharger for $2500... will get more performance, thats just the way things go.

I will have to see if there is anywhere in perth that will let me "borrow" their dyno.

Cheers
Will

Ya can hire them for about $8o for an hour. Its not too exxy and its worthwhile if you are testing that sort of stuff i guess . Just pop by a performance car place, they usually have em and you can book it.

Bundybear
09-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Had a trial fit tonight, have to take off to opposing corners for clearance on air sensor and throttle cable bracket (due to it being 100mmx100mm for heat sinks), hey thats why we make prototypes!

4b4fun
09-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey Bundy. That looks awsome, but u might want to machine up some spaces the same height to lift up ur throttle cables. Otherwise they might not work smothly. The TBS i bought came with these, 2 i think from memory, and it works great.......Keep up the good work. Very Bling!

Bundybear
09-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah I`ve seen that other tb`s come with an extra spacer or two for the throttle cable bracket G
otta goto work tomorrow, might lopp the corners off my tb and have another trial fit, that way if i need to machine up a spacer, i`ll be at the right place to fix it! :)

Gildo
09-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Yup the grooves on the outside is new should ad some more HP ;)

OzJeeper
09-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I still have about 10 of these bare units still in the workshop. They need a hole drilled through the guts of the blank to suit the TB. Made from high impact/density plastic. They melt at about 197c and if you have that temp in the engine bay you have serious probs.
Post to you for $22.00 if interested to cover cost of materials and labour.

Spacers are 25mm ally rod cut to 25mm and drilled to suit the mounting bolt. Still have a few of those as well that I can throw in...

PM if you have any interest.

Bluddy noice looking unit Bundybear :-)

Bundybear
09-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Yup the grooves on the outside is new should ad some more HP ;)

Hey Gildo... ever made anything yaself before?

Ever thought, "Gee I like that, might just show it off a little"

hhhhmmmmm show us YOUR fabs.... ante up!

hehehehe

Mooreyfiveo
09-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Hey Gildo... ever made anything yaself before?

Ever thought, "Gee I like that, might just show it off a little"

hhhhmmmmm show us YOUR fabs.... ante up!

hehehehe

You rock BB, it's totally Aussie to try and make something yourself, that may do bugger all and can be bought somewhere else! I'd buy one just to upset Gildo's apple cart!

Gildo
10-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Yup made a thing or 2 my self, even invented a thing or that no one else has.
You could do a search on here if it interests you that much. :)

No fuss with anyone havin a go either. Now it looks cool with the grooves and if the spacer itself improves performance even better. Perhaps some red powder coating will help too? ;)
My point origionally was the frog shit about the "SWIRL", and BB you have agreed with that.
Hell Im not even tryin to sell spacers!
BTW these things ;) usually mean im just fukin with ya.

Bundybear
10-02-2007, 01:23 PM
No wuckers Gildo, Yeah sorry had a bit of a lash out, was in a pig of a mood last night.
Buy u a beer? hehehe

Anywho, it is in now, and made some spacer blocks for cable bracket too. Waiting to take on a drive, busy weekend this one (joys of renovating) I`m not expecting to "feel" any major difference, just to improve on performance a little.
And hell, if does nothin.........it COST ME NOTHIN!! lol but hell it`ll look good!

Note too self, stop drinkin Bundy`s and goin on forums....while in a bad mood. lol!

Gildo
10-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Yup have been guilty of the same myself recently, lets kiss and make up.....
Or not kiss.

Bundybear
10-02-2007, 01:30 PM
how bout a hug? Hey so,what sorta rig you runnin?

Gildo
10-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Only the famwag (98XJ) is on the road atm,
the CJ8 is regod but still in pieces, lots of new goodies under the bonnet, 33s 4inches ,rancho incab, 258 with a webber, tf904 trans, d300 xfer, 3 core rad, dual fuel, extractors, 2&1/2in pipes, rear lokka, dual batts, full hadr and soft tops & drs, 1/2 drs, bikini and shiteloads of other bits, most things ya can get for a cj really....
the Comanche is still a 6 months to year off the road, 33s, lockers, stroker are all in the plans.....
the willys truck is 5-10 years away from rego......
Maybe I should spend more time in the shed and less winding dood up here?

Matty ducati
10-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Brings a tear to me eye.
lol
Valentine's day is coming up guys, maybe you guys could catch up :)