View Full Version : Gear ratio & lokka info needed pls.

Crazy Dave
12-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Looking at putting a locker in the front and changing the ratios, now I have done a lot of research and searching and think I've got everything sorted, but just before I order the gear I'd like to double check and be sure, thanks. Is the following correct?

I drive a 01/97 Renegade and would like to mod the following:

For the front Dana 30 I'd like to add a lockright locker and change the ratio to 4.56.

To do this all I need is:
A locker to suit dana 30 27 spline? (LOCKRIGHT POWERTRAX LOCKER)
4.56 gears, master install kit and some carriers?

For the rear Dana 44 I'd like to add just the new ratio of 4.56.

Is that all I need? I'm ordering these from the US and would like to be sure that I have everything needed and the correct parts to suit my jeep.

I'm also thinking of giving the installation a go myself by doing some research and following installation manuals. Has anybody done this before, is it a pretty simple install or is there some complex parts to it?

Thanks for your time guys.

Wess :)

krankieone
12-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Lock right install is very easy seting up your diff is more dificult but not impossible however if you stuff up you will stuff your new gears:(

MattW
12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I would not attempt to install it for the first time on your own. As said above if you get it wrong at all you will be up for new gears. There is a guy in the jeep club called Brian who can do it for you very cheaply and will not get it wrong.

Vman
13-02-2007, 02:27 AM
For the rear Dana 44 I'd like to add just the new ratio of 4.56.

Wess, just remember that you will loose the LSD in the rear when installing the new gears! Something to think about......might be worth throwing in a locker in the rear at the same time........you wouldn't need a carrier for the rear so some savings there.

Installing: It takes some patients and skill to get it right the first time, as the second time will cost you new gears. I took it to a shop and had them do the job. I didn't know Brian back then :sad: , he would be a good option for the job.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65409

If you are ordering from the US and your total bill including shipping is over $1000AUS you will get slugged with GST, import duty and processing fees. Keep that in mind! I have split shipments into 2 too avoid the tax. One shipment I had was $1100AUS and they nailed me with over $200AUS in fees and taxes :hammer:

So whats next? bigger lift and 33" tyres!!!!! :)

jammy jeep
13-02-2007, 05:39 AM
My understanding is that there is no problem keeping your rear LSD, as long as you get the right carrier. Mind you, I would certainly agree that the rear LSD is not the best traction solution in the world.

Crazy Dave
13-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Wess, just remember that you will loose the LSD in the rear when installing the new gears! Something to think about......might be worth throwing in a locker in the rear at the same time........you wouldn't need a carrier for the rear so some savings there.

Thanks for the help guys, but now I'm a little confused :?:

Think the dana 30 is pretty much sorted now, it's just the 44 with the issues.

I was un aware that by changing the ratio to 4.56 that i would loose the lsd, if that is the case I will have to go for another lokka, can anyone please confirm this.

EDIT: Supplier's response to the above:
Dana 30 carrier $59.00 required if current gears are 3.07-3.55...
Dana 35 carrier $59.00 required if current gears are 3.07-3.31...
Dana 44 carrier $59.00 required if current gears are 3.07-3.73...

The factory limited slip is built into the factory carrier so you would not change the carrier without losing the limited slip as well.

Vman, this little purchase is going to suck me dry, but 33's is deff on the list in the
next 6 or so months. Cheers for the heads-up on the shipping :)

krankieone
13-02-2007, 11:55 AM
to keep the lsd you would need thick cut gears

BLU-125
13-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I recently did a ratio change to 4.1:1 (3 sp auto) & being the cheap Bast@$) that I am, I bought a thick CWheel (4.10 is deepest) so I could use my standard carrier & Trak Lok. 30 metres into the first extreme run I did at the Jamboree, I broke the spider gears.

Spend a little more for an ARB or Detroit which replaces the carrier (in the rear at least) to gain some strength. L/R in the front will be fine, unless you plan 35s in the future.

My 2c.

Crazy Dave
14-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys, will let you know how it goes and I'll get Brian to help me with the install :D

Crazy Dave
27-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Well I got my lock-right lokka for the front dana 30 in the mail yesterday.

Started doing the install last night. Ran into a little trouble...

Got up to the part of removing the carrier, to do this you have to remove the 2 axels on each side. These are held on by 3 bolts on each wheel.

I got the passenger side axle out pretty easy, removed the 3 bolts, gave it a light tap and the whole axle just slid out.

The driver side is giving me the :toilet:

I removed the 3 bolts, and hammered away at the axle for an hour could not get it to budge.

So I rang rodge and Brian, got suggested that I put the bolts back in (not done up all the way) and bang it from the rear with a socket and hammer, still no dice.

I've drowned it in WD40 this morning and i'm gonna give it another go tonight.

Anybody else have this problem or have any ideas?

krankieone
27-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I only had to pull one axle to install the lock-right there is enough room with 3.07's but not with 3.73's If you need to get it off kep going with a big hammer and WD spray just dont break the hub casting there not cheep

Crazy Dave
28-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I only had to pull one axle to install the lock-right there is enough room with 3.07's but not with 3.73's

Thanks for the help guys, my locker is in and working perfect!

I was still not able to get the axle of the hub (rusted solid) but thanks to krankieone's advise my locker is in! When the time comes to do my ratios i'm gonna have to get that axle off :mad: