View Full Version : TJ Rear Tailgate

Electric-Green
12-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Howdy All,

With the standard rear tailgate and SpareWheel attached what is the maxiumum weight it can handle.

I was considering attaching a 20L Jerry Can however I think there wold be to much weight hanging on.

Cheers.

Laz
13-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Dude - I moved away from attaching my spare 32" tyre to the tailgate once i watched it flexing while driving without the back seat in (only time I noticed it)

Got a swingaway rear carrier - prob fixed

So IMHO i wouldn't attach a jerry to the door at all

Gildo
13-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Stock carrier enginerred to carry stock spare, any more and you're risking damage.
What LAz sed, aftermarket carrier is the go.

Mooreyfiveo
14-02-2007, 06:35 AM
I regularly carry 2 Mtn Bikes on my spare, which would weigh about the same or more as 20ltrs of fuel, I would agree with the others above look for a swing away carrier.

I haven't noticed any flex like Laz (only from not looking) but when I open the tail gate with the bikes still on you can see the tail gate drop a good half inch or so. Can't be good for the hinges, and doesn't close easily either. I am trying to save up for a swing away to fix this problem, would recommend the same for jerry can.

Electric-Green
14-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys, any of you fella's provide some links to the swing away carriers?

Mooreyfiveo
14-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys, any of you fella's provide some links to the swing away carriers?

Try 4WheelDrive Hardware at

http://www.4wd.com/categories.aspx?cid=4

Wooders can most if not all of their stock, just double the price for a rough idea (as prices are US$).

They do have this fairly cheap one

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=5801

which from memory Wooders quoted me under $500 for. It is only recommended for tyres upto 31" (what size are you running?) but I don't know if this for weight/strength reasons or tyre position? I have emailed 4wd about this but have not got a reply yet.

The reason I liked this one was because it bolts to your chasis (keeping your original rear bumper) whereas most of the others require you to purchase the rear bumper as well as the carrier. The other alternative is ones that require drilling your body which I am not keen on at all.

I would be interested in anything you discover as I have not made my mind up yet.