View Full Version : Moving from Canada to Perth -maybe-

Thissideup
14-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey fellas, My name is Scott. I'm from Alberta Canada, a fellow jeeper. I am thinking of going to perth to drive truck for the winter, but I know nothing of the area, what's it going to be like to find a place to live for four months, aswell is there anything I should take in while i'm there? I'm new here so go easy on me. Here's a pic of my rig
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g218/Ralphcarr/2005_0312Image0013.jpg

WILDTURK3Y
14-11-2007, 02:55 PM
come to sydney, plenty of bus and truck driver jobs available at the moment

ZMattJ
14-11-2007, 02:58 PM
If you mean your winter, which is our summer I'd bring sun cream as it gets hot.. 39 degrees C the other day and it's not even the middle of summer....

Thissideup
14-11-2007, 03:08 PM
come to sydney, plenty of bus and truck driver jobs available at the moment
Hey dont suppose you got any names and mabe numbers for a fella?

Thissideup
14-11-2007, 03:10 PM
If you mean your winter, which is our summer I'd bring sun cream as it gets hot.. 39 degrees C the other day and it's not even the middle of summer....
I hear it gets warm there, I have a buddy working for eastern well servicing, he sent home a pic of hime next to a thermometer measuring 52'C

ian
14-11-2007, 03:13 PM
why perth? and if you want the number of a fella in sydney it a long long way from perth!

murray
14-11-2007, 03:17 PM
come to perth it were the money is

Thissideup
14-11-2007, 03:19 PM
why perth? and if you want the number of a fella in sydney it a long long way from perth!

I have to fly through sydney to get to perth, the job there is the only line I have, and yeah the money sounds good, mid 20's per hour

Thissideup
14-11-2007, 03:23 PM
come to perth it were the money is

What kind of fun is there to be had in Perth, lots of hot babes? sounds like i'd be starting there then moving inland to a place called meriden? not sure if the spelling is right. would be hauling grain for an outfit called Marleys, that of course providing I pass their driver evaluation.

WILDTURK3Y
14-11-2007, 03:23 PM
www.mycareer.com.au
www.seek.com.au
www.careerone.com.au

give them a look maybe you can find some

Thissideup
14-11-2007, 04:07 PM
www.mycareer.com.au
www.seek.com.au
www.careerone.com.au

give them a look maybe you can find some

thanks, i'll keep those links, i'll probably just head to perth since they're expecting me, keep these on back burner. what's a guy gonna pay for rent in Perth?

Dave
14-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Depends on what your after, rents are a bit expensive these days. Check www.realestate.com.au or www.reiwa.com.au for listings.

Thissideup
14-11-2007, 04:22 PM
should have thought of this earlier, i'm covering more ground tonight that I did in the last three months. thanks all, it's very much apreciated. and feel free to add anything that might enhance the australia experience!

glend
14-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey Scott, come on down. I'm from Calgary (27th Street SW), worked for AGT for years out at Bowness. I came here on a working holiday back in 79' and got stuck here (married an Aussie girl - they can't live anywhere else). There's alot to be said for 10 months of summer a year (think of the Mexican beaches and that's close) and of course - No bloody freezing your backside off. Whenever I get homesick I just sit down and watch "Ice Road Truckers", that cures me.

murray
14-11-2007, 07:23 PM
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=fn-rea&s=wa&ss=&ag=&t=ren&snf=rbs&chk=0&lead=&ty=&tb=+MERREDIN%2C+&u=MERREDIN&is=1&pm=&px=&pme=any&pxe=any&minbed=&maxbed=&cat=&p=10&o=def (http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=fn-rea&s=wa&ss=&ag=&t=ren&snf=rbs&chk=0&lead=&ty=&tb=+MERREDIN%2C+&u=MERREDIN&is=1&pm=&px=&pme=any&pxe=any&minbed=&maxbed=&cat=&p=10&o=def)
cost of meriden house rent

Thissideup
15-11-2007, 12:06 PM
So what's the best way to get from Sydney to Perth? my travel agent is working on a train aswell as a bus pass, i can fly, but would see nothing that way. Any must see's along the way?

Dave
15-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Fly, its 4000km (2500miles) via road if you go the most direct way

Here are the main Aussie airlines:
www.virginblue.com.au
www.qantas.com.au
www.jetstar.com.au

I have done the train ride its nice but takes about 4 days from memory and a lot of it is through desert which can be a bit boring! Its also very expensive.

I don't know if Buses go from between Sydney and Perth. If you want to see some stuff along the way I would bus or train or both from Sydney to Adelaide via Melbourne then fly from Adelaide to Perth. Sydney to Adelaide is only 1400km.

Dave

Thissideup
15-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Fly, its 4000km (2500miles) via road if you go the most direct way

Here are the main Aussie airlines:
www.virginblue.com.au
www.qantas.com.au
www.jetstar.com.au

I have done the train ride its nice but takes about 4 days from memory and a lot of it is through desert which can be a bit boring! Its also very expensive.

I don't know if Buses go from between Sydney and Perth. If you want to see some stuff along the way I would bus or train or both from Sydney to Adelaide via Melbourne then fly from Adelaide to Perth. Sydney to Adelaide is only 1400km.

Dave

RIght on, i'll tell my travel agent to look at that option. I was also thinking of flying then trying to catch a truck ride back to Sydney in march. lots to consider. hey another question, does SIRIUS satelite radio broadcast down under?

killa
16-11-2007, 06:24 PM
umm what is this 'Satellite Radio' you speak of? lol ;)

and Merriden wasn't built, it was dug (it is a hole)

killa
16-11-2007, 06:24 PM
OOP devils post, better make another :wall:

Thissideup
16-11-2007, 07:24 PM
umm what is this 'Satellite Radio' you speak of? lol ;)

I'll take that as sarcasm;)

killa
16-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Spot on :) AFAIK we don't have it yet in Aus. then again I don't live in any of the the big cities anymore.

BennyWA
16-11-2007, 08:57 PM
.... moving inland to a place called meriden? not sure if the spelling is right. would be hauling grain for an outfit called Marleys, that of course providing I pass their driver evaluation.

Merredin is a couple of hours drive inland from Perth and it's wheat country. Marley's is quite a big company with decent looking trucks (cabovers mainly) Haven't heard anything bad about them but come on down there's plenty of driving jobs around mate! I might be able to get a few contacts for ya too

Donza
19-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Good choice in Perth I reckon - watched a documentary the other night comparing the growth in Calgary to Perth - very similar economic drives at the moment- with mining and oil & gas operations.
I'm thinking of doing the move there. Whats it like mate? We'll swap?! haha

Vman
19-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Good choice in Perth I reckon - watched a documentary the other night comparing the growth in Calgary to Perth - very similar economic drives at the moment- with mining and oil & gas operations.

Donza: I worked there in the winter! it's F#%$ing COLD!! mate. But in the summer it's great and close to the Rockies for a play.

Thissideup: I am from Toronto and have been living in Perth for 8 years. If you need any help around town let me know, or maybe a day out with a few Jeeps to give you a test of Aussie dust!;)

Thissideup
19-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Depending on what you wanted to do I'd steer clear of Calgary, it's over crowded, rent is stupid and unless you're a suit, there's little oportunity to be had. The real money is made here in the smaller centers, like Drayton Valley, Grand Prarrie, Ft. Mac murray, ect. best oportunities in these places for a blue collar fella. That said, that documentry might have been acurate but they are a little time removed, the apex of the boom here in Alberta was about one year ago, though I think there will be another, right now were are in a bit of a lul, real estate is dropping , and the oil companies aren't doing any more than they have to. as for the other industriesm, like lumber, mining, construction, they seem to still be going relatively strong, though I dont have much to do with them and take very little notice. one last thing, we're heading into winter so bring your parka, another month or so it will be -40'c
;)

Thissideup
20-11-2007, 04:09 PM
So I'm landing in Sydney for the day on the 6th I think, then off the perth. Any fellow jeepers interested in killing and aftenoon hanging out with a Canuck? I'm buying lunch, i'm just dying to find out what kangaoo tasts like:) ps us canadians have funny accents so be forewarned.

Donza
21-11-2007, 07:38 AM
cheers for the info, -40'c bloody hell

Yeh mate I'd say there'd be plenty of us Jeepers to go off road with, see a bit of the country and eat some of Roo.

Steve
21-11-2007, 11:40 PM
If you hang out long enough in the Southwest of WA drop me a line. Even though I don't live in the SW have a mate who just bought a farm down there to farm wheat next year and I know he'll be looking for help.

BTW I have a funny accent too. A tad south of where you live though. It's tainted now from 14 years in Australia. Oh and kangaroo tastes good! Where else can ya eat a national emblem and not go to jail!