PDA

View Full Version : Trailor TJ's?

Maz
02-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Anyone here have a trailer TJ for wheeling? Just having bad thoughts about setting the TJ up with some hardcore mods and taking it wheeling using a trailer? Still keeping it road registered so I could wheel on public property but the mods would mean it would be unroadworthy but only using it for weekend wheeling sessions. Make sense?:confused:

I guess the main benefit is that if you have any breakages on the trail its pretty easy to get it home.

Rosie
02-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Heaps of the boys over here trailer rigs and reacon it's awsome. They can do whatever they want then and just drive it on and off the trailer. Depends if the others that wheel with ya do the same though.

Ben

Aaronsjeep
02-11-2008, 09:56 PM
dont see the point, unless your going really crazy stuff... i love the rigs that are real tuff, plus can drive them to the trail, wheel it and drive home..

like Mr extremes jeep.. got like dana 60s, 38s and full cage.. still regod
so unless your going bigger and nuttier than that, (at this point, id try keep it on the road)

flexytj
02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
if i had a reasonable tow rig and trailer i would definatley trailer my jeep to go wheeling .

Aaronsjeep
02-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I guess the main benefit is that if you have any breakages on the trail its pretty easy to get it home.

that tho, is a very good point... plus a nice clean tow rig, with highway tyres and a decent engine would be nicer for the long trips than the tj :)

starter
03-11-2008, 07:05 AM
biggest consern for me would be finishing for the day to find that your tow rig and trailer have been de wheeled or stolen....

let alone with paying for another rig...

luckly i don't wheel that hard to justify it

killa
03-11-2008, 07:26 AM
That's what company cars are for LOL.... Now I just need a car trailer, 42's, Mogs, exo cage, Atlas, Air susp., LA's...... :wall:

OPPYLOCK
03-11-2008, 08:16 AM
I don't have any experience with fourbys but trailered track cars and bikes always end up being a PITA. Because it takes so much longer to get setup to go as well as when you get home, I have found you use them less. Then because you are using them less, there always seems to be some niggling problem when you do use them. Most of the time you need 2 people in case something goes wrong. Then the cost of trailer, tow vehicle, rego's, and fuel it does get $$$$. It helps if you live on a big block of land or property with good access.
Not trying to stop you from doing it, just some food for thought. If you use it enough, it will be worth it.
BTW, everyone will call you a trailer queen lol!

ian
03-11-2008, 08:31 AM
I will be trailering from know on.. Keeping the rego on it so, It makes sence if you have somthing to tow it with. Its a little crazy what we do, drive hours to get to a trail, flog the shit out of our rigs than drive home, who knows what damage you have done.. all you need is somthing to let go at 100kmh and it all over. or even kill somone else in your truck that is highly ilegal..end up in jail.. not worth the risk anymore for me.
I am building my rig how i want it, to be safe and capable off road where i need it and enjoy it. Most of my wheeling will be in 4x4 parks from know on, so no real issue with my tow rig getting trashed or stolen. also it wont be long till the only place you can wheel is in 4x4 parks or privite propity.
any way thats how i am thinking.

Wooders
03-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Problem is if yiu have a trailer you drive it that bit harder KNOWING you can easily get home ;)
Drive-off, winch-on...... too easy :mrgreen:

mud guts
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I will be putting mine a trailer when i can afford a tow rig and trailer.

I'm with Wooders
Problem is if you have a trailer you drive it that bit harder KNOWING you can easily get home
Drive-off, winch-on...... too easy

BTW, everyone will call you a trailer queen lol!

Better than being called a Pussy!

Maz
03-11-2008, 07:20 PM
It makes sence if you have somthing to tow it with. Its a little crazy what we do, drive hours to get to a trail, flog the shit out of our rigs than drive home, who knows what damage you have done.. all you need is somthing to let go at 100kmh and it all over. or even kill somone else in your truck that is highly ilegal..end up in jail.. not worth the risk anymore for me.

Totally agree with you. Thats the reason I was thinking a trailer rig would be a good idea. Only problem is I would miss driving the TJ every day.

Problem is if yiu have a trailer you drive it that bit harder KNOWING you can easily get home ;)

Cant see a problem with this.**)

Maz
03-11-2008, 07:25 PM
here is how the Tj would look if it was on a trailer:**)

ian
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
ya maz that would be sweet... still the only problem is if you want to poach some local trails with that rig it would stick out like dogs balls! I think you still should try to cover the tyres etc... if you come across a local ranger or cop it wont look so bad... and hopfully he will go after the jacked up yota/poootrol drivers..

Maz
03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah I know what you mean Ian. Just thinking and dreaming out loud.;) Reality is it would look a lot smaller (that one's on 42's). Still, I love the comp cut rear and tube fenders.

ian
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I love the comp cut rear and tube fenders.

ya...sexy time :)

OzJeeper
03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Ah, so many dreams and so many plans. All coming under the "Murphys Law" umbrella.
Build a trailer queen and a trailer (or a banana back truck) and head off to the "trail/track". Where is it gonna bust????

Exponentially as FAR from the specialized tow rig as you can get! :wall:

Sign on entry to trail/track; "Towing is Expensive"! ;)

In all sanity checks, you WILL drive the "beast" HARDER and FASTER than you daily driver 'cause you have the transport rig to get it home! Even though it's about 7km away....Murphy's law again.

Ah Grasshopper, so many day drives have turned to crap with convoys of self driven too track/trail, much modified, much lifted, much whatevered, much bigger tyres. It has all turned to shyte......

It's is SO much better with a trailed rig!!!!! You stick out from the crowd like doggie whatsis!! Yeah, I got one tough rig.
C'mon Ranger, DNRE ranger, flashing blue lights type persons.

Think I might just lurk about on smaller tyres and not so much fanfare. I just might get to tour about and see things.

Just my 2c worth :D

Jeeps
03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Just don't do what some guy on another forum did when the police pulled him over and asked him to roll the 'rig' off the trailor so they could have a better look at it. As soon as it hit the bitumen it got a sticker...! It was safe on the trailor... ;)

Aaronsjeep
03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Just don't do what some guy on another forum did when the police pulled him over and asked him to roll the 'rig' off the trailor so they could have a better look at it. As soon as it hit the bitumen it got a sticker...! It was safe on the trailor... ;)

thats so dodgy, on the coppers part, whats wrong with having a trailer rig, you can never please the tight arse of the law:wall:

Jeeps
03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
It was a tuff truck comp gq or something...

Nudge
04-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Is this the type of Trailer Queen you wanna build Johno:?: