PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox leaking oil thru shifter joint

Crazy Dave
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi

*Pictures attached of suspected problem area*

I recently noticed a large amount of oil dripping from underneath my TJ (2001 Manual 5sp box) after a 30 minute drive. Upon closer inspection I established that it was coming from the gearbox...from the top of the gearbox. I found this a bit weird and wanted to confirm that this was indeed where the oil was coming from. So i pulled the center console out, removed the floor plate where the shifter comes thru and cleaned all the oil from the area.

I now had a clear view of the top of the gearbox and gearstick entry point. Went for a drive and sure thing the oil started leaking out thru the ball joint of the gearstick, this was very clear and there was no other leaking point.

As i had recently done some deep water crossings a friend suggested that i might have water in my gearbox and that the excess fluid was pushing thru the top. I drained the box and added 2 litres of new Royal Purple. Went for a test drive and the same thing happened, oil leaking thru the top at the shifter ball joint.

Can this joint just be warn out? Couldn't see any seals. Has anybody experienced this before?

I'm assuming it's just a simple case of ordering a new shifter assembly but thought i would run it past you guys first and see what you think.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

CD

Crazy Dave
04-11-2008, 05:40 PM
bump

bump

CJ6np435
04-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey Crazy Dave, just a thought, check the gearbox breather is not blocked (if it has one.... I'm not a TJ expert) I'm thinking if it's blocked, the box could build up pressure when hot, and vent through the shifter???
Mike

Crazy Dave
07-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey Crazy Dave, just a thought, check the gearbox breather is not blocked (if it has one.... I'm not a TJ expert) I'm thinking if it's blocked, the box could build up pressure when hot, and vent through the shifter???
Mike

Hi CJ6,

I do have a gearbox breather. Mine has been extended and runs in under the engine hood and terminates in little filter assembly. Even tho there was evidence of oil in the filter i was still able to blow air thru it with no problem at all. I checked the line from the box to the filter and it was clear as well. So no blockage on the breather side of things.

Any other ideas guys before i go buying a new part?

Cheers

CD

Crazy Dave
11-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Can anybody help me out with a parts diagrams of a NV-3350? I'm having trouble explaining the exact part to the girl at the Jeep spare parts counter.

Cheers

CD

Otherwise I'll just take the part in sometime during the week...if I can get away from work.

turbomart
11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
There isnt usually a seal there, just the rubber dust boot you showed.
Sounds like the box is pressurising for some reason , usually caused by oil overfull ,oil foaming, breather blocked.
Also, shouldnt be getting oil in breather line so definately pressuring for some reason.

Vman
13-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Hmm, come on members get your thinking caps on!!! I want Crazy out next weekend wheeling with the "Gang" so he can entertain us with his driving ;)!!
I have been trying my best to come up with a solution to this problem but so far it not looking good :(.

Crazy Dave
02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Pressurised air blown back thru the breather seems to have done the trick. Thanks for your help.

Crazy Dave

Vman
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Sweet, got a love it when simple things fix big problems!!:D

Crazy Dave
03-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah but you gotta hate it when you get it fixed a week after a big trip that you really wanted to go on :(