PDA

View Full Version : Leaky transfer case

Jeepology
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I have a leak from the seal where the output shaft exits the xfer case.....I run a SYE

I have changed seals and still no joy.....

Any ideas.....

Brisey
11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Sounds to me like the shaft is worn where the seal sits on it.

Cheers

Bri

rodxj
11-11-2008, 07:29 PM
I have a leak from the seal where the output shaft exits the xfer case.....I run a SYE

Any ideas.....

Whip the tailshaft out and use emery cloth (fabric type sandpaper) to clean up the slip yoke. Don't sand length ways, wrap the cloth around the yoke (like gripping a stubbie cap) and clean that way.
Rod;)
Don't forget to use locktite blue on the uni cap bolts as those suckers can work their way out after being removed and replaced a couple of times

Jeepology
11-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Cheers....will give that a try

Dont think the shaft is worn - it's hardly even a year old

rodxj
11-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Any ideas.....

Hang on! the SYE wasn't in the first post, are you trying to confuse me.......:confused: In that case, cancel the stuff about the uni cap bolts.........but use a smidge of grease on the seal before you put it back together.;)

Brisey
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Cheers....will give that a try

Dont think the shaft is worn - it's hardly even a year old

If a bit of mud or dirt works it's way in around the seal it will wear away the shaft. I had the same problem with a mini drive shafts many years ago, the shafts were cleaned up like RodXJ said & new seals fixed it.

Cheers

Bri

josh9465
11-11-2008, 09:19 PM
i have the same problem with the seal from my SYE. i suspect the ppl that installed it forgot to put grease on the seal. i do remember seeing some worn rubber coming out from the seal after it was installed.

josh9465
11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
jeepology. where did u get ur new seal.

Any ideas.....

RYANGLER
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
josh wooders sells them... transfer case star seal... if ya call him tomorrow he could express post it so you will have it by the weekend

Jeepology
12-11-2008, 05:42 AM
jeepology. where did u get ur new seal.

Yeip - Wooders

bonza
12-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Sounds like you have a groove worn in the shaft where the seal lip contacts.

if so, best fix is a speedi sleeve.

measure the diameter of the shaft and get one from CBC. I have used them dozens of times and they make a good permanent repair. instructions on how to fit are in the box it comes in.