View Full Version : Texan Living in Australia

jpl_2332
03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Moved here from Texas after meeting and eventually getting married to a Tazi girl. I'm enjoying it here, takes a lot to get used to the difference in culture, and there's no place like home, but I'm getting there. Would love to get out and explore some of this country. That will all come in time I guess. Anyway, good to be here.

itchy
03-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Welcome mate!

kitrino_tj
03-01-2010, 08:10 PM
welcome............

Jeepology
03-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Welcome mate...so are you living in Tasmania? That's not part of Australia really, it's part of New Zealand...

Chumby
03-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Are you in Tas now?

Welcome!!

Cheers
Chumby

flexytj
03-01-2010, 08:26 PM
hello , have you bought a jeep yet ?

VH5150
03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Welcome mate...so are you living in Tasmania? That's not part of Australia really, it's part of New Zealand...

And yeah Australians need a passport to get in to Tasmania!!:wall:

Welcome jpl_2332, you have a chosen great Jeep country. What corner of the state are you in? The northeast is a great area as is the south west wilderness. Just finishing off building a camper trailer to go behind my XJ then I am off camping to the north east at Cape Naturaliste, Mt William national park. Also planning a trip to Scotts peak dam at the southern end of Lake Pedder. Both great spots.
Good luck being a Tasmanian!
Dave
Sidmouth in the Tamar Valley

jpl_2332
04-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Yea I bought a 2000 Tj about 6 months ago. I live on the Northern side of the Gold Coast (Jacobs Well.) I think it might be a little to cold for my liking down in Tazi from what I here from the in-laws. My part of Texas is a lot like SE QLd so I don't like the cold to much. I have noticed that there are loads of Jeeps around, that was a shock to me, espicially all the wranglers. The only bad thing is that here we can't mod them all up as much as back home.

tonkatruk
05-01-2010, 10:50 AM
jpl_2332 howdy mate, since you are in SEQLD if you ever get home sick we have a town called Texas here. I know what u mean about things being different, i worked in OK for a while last year it's a great place over there.

Donza
05-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Welcome dude, go exploring and have fun!
Yup the laws make it a little hard for big mods...

reyzor
05-01-2010, 12:12 PM
welcome mate.....

jpl_2332
05-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Yea I was actually going to go check out the fishing there at Glenlyon Lake. And Oklahoma....I hate Oklahoma, big time rival with our College Sports, especially football.

jpl_2332 howdy mate, since you are in SEQLD if you ever get home sick we have a town called Texas here. I know what u mean about things being different, i worked in OK for a while last year it's a great place over there.

superchicken
06-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Howdy Tex!

Glad to see another seppo see the light and get out. You'll love it here once you get used to it.
If you make your way up towards Noosa give me a ring. Wifes pretty good at mexican food and we watch Football not rugby!!!**)

waynegler
06-01-2010, 07:08 AM
G'day mate.....good wheeling in Ormeau not far from you, get in touch with one of the clubs if you want to meet jeepers and go wheeling, Gold Coast Jeepers, [url]www.goldcoastjeepers.com.

waynegler
06-01-2010, 07:14 AM
http://www.brisbanejeepclub.com.
htpp://www.queenslandjeepers.com.
htpp://www.sunshinecoastjeepclub.com[/url]...

MR EXTREME JEEP
06-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Welcome mate. Tell us about the Jeep you HAD......

jpl_2332
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Didn't really see a light, I saw a wife that didn't want to leave her family, I had no chance. Love mexican food, wish my wife had a clue how to cook it. Superbowl is coming up too. Do you watch any college football?

Howdy Tex!

Glad to see another seppo see the light and get out. You'll love it here once you get used to it.
If you make your way up towards Noosa give me a ring. Wifes pretty good at mexican food and we watch Football not rugby!!!**)

tonkatruk
06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah mate i know there is a bit of rivalry between the Sooners and I gather you are a longhorns lad? I was there with work but spent a lot of it in Ft Worth having one to many beers.

But enjoy your time over here hope to see you out wheeling one day mate..

jpl_2332
07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Massive Longhorns fan, I'll be watching them in the National championship in the morning.

Yeah mate i know there is a bit of rivalry between the Sooners and I gather you are a longhorns lad? I was there with work but spent a lot of it in Ft Worth having one to many beers.

But enjoy your time over here hope to see you out wheeling one day mate..

superchicken
08-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Didn't really see a light, I saw a wife that didn't want to leave her family, I had no chance. Love mexican food, wish my wife had a clue how to cook it. Superbowl is coming up too. Do you watch any college football?
I do especially if its Notre Dame!!

joshjeep
10-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Moved here from Texas after meeting and eventually getting married to a Tazi girl. I'm enjoying it here, takes a lot to get used to the difference in culture, and there's no place like home, but I'm getting there. Would love to get out and explore some of this country. That will all come in time I guess. Anyway, good to be here.

mate i had done the same thing,but my wife is from california ,it takes a while to cut the umbilical cord but it can be done. we should catch up some time my wife makes good mexician food ,well as good as can be made in australia any ways

jpl_2332
12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Where abouts are you living? Yea being from Cali, she would know how to cook good Mexican. mate i had done the same thing,but my wife is from california ,it takes a while to cut the umbilical cord but it can be done. we should catch up some time my wife makes good mexician food ,well as good as can be made in australia any ways

joshjeep
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
in surfers paradise

BSJ
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
G'day mate, U left Texas to come here! Was that the ball 'n' chains idea or yours? BTW, the correct answer is the ball 'n' chain! :D

Ps: You got a good supplier of Jeep parts back home? You may need one when you see the price of parts here!

jpl_2332
13-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Yea I wouldn't say ball and chain but close to it. Although it is the first place away from home that I would have moved to on my own free will. Yea I have seen the prices on everything and wow! Don't really uderstand the prices of things, especially now when the AUD is so strong up against the USD. When I need stuff, I get my bro's to send it to me if the company will not do it. G'day mate, U left Texas to come here! Was that the ball 'n' chains idea or yours? BTW, the correct answer is the ball 'n' chain! :D

Ps: You got a good supplier of Jeep parts back home? You may need one when you see the price of parts here!

sonjap
13-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi jpl 2332...I'm superchicken's other half :) Both superchicken and I are from Cali, been here about 5 1/2 years. If your ever up the Sunshine Coast way and feel like some Carne Asada or Mexican fish tacos give us a holler

Sonjap

CJ-7_MAC
13-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Welcome to Oz, Tex
I am an Aussie that grew up in Bandera, Texas just outside San Antonio was scouted when I was younger for baseball. If you like good mexican food there is a great restaurant in Lennox Head if you feel like a drive its on the main drag you can't miss it. it's the best I have found so far on the east coast. hope your enjoying life in Australia

Cheers

Leon

tonkatruk
14-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Massive Longhorns fan, I'll be watching them in the National championship in the morning.

See the Longhorns are jumping to the PAC 10.. Looks as thought the Big12 will be no more

jpl_2332
18-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Pac-10...just wasn't meant to be. They won't leave the Big-12