PDA

View Full Version : A head for radio, but a tough Jeep.

Kirk Barker
04-03-2010, 06:00 AM
http://www.4wd1.com/images/newsletters/Feb10/4wd-custom-magazine.jpg

Hi Guys.

I’m pretty excited to be featured in the latest edition of 4WD Custom magazine (including the front cover).

It’s available at the newsstand – issue 25. If we haven’t met before, I’m the bloke with the balding skull. Now you know why most of the profile pics I use for myself are from back when I was a little kid!

When we did the shoot a few months ago, it was great to meet Earle Emanuel and team and have some fun. From our luck with the weather and the location, everything seemed to work out neat. While the red JK Rubicon Jeep is kind of ‘pretty’, it’s also one very tuff truck in which few road-registered vehicles can match its off-road performance. It’s a funny thing to see yourself in print. I’m now thinking about getting one of those big akubra-style hats to cover up my mug – just like our OJ (Outback John) wears. See the homepage of www.4wd1.com (http://www.4wd1.com)

But OJ reckons they don’t make hats that big!

MR EXTREME JEEP
04-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Welcome Kirk.
BTW did you know if you cant find a Akubra hat large enough you could always use a welding mask. :lol::wink:
Cheers.
PS show us some pics of the Jeep.

Kirk Barker
04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Thank you.

Last night I played my kids wii-Fit game. It calculated my wii-Fit age at 43, which is almost 7 years my senior! So I might take the welding-mask advice.

I have some of the pics the mag took, so I will post them in the next couple of days.

MR EXTREME JEEP
04-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Make sure there is no copyright on them. I have some from a photshoot that I cant publish without consent bla bla bla. Pity cause they are real nice.

kitrino_tj
04-03-2010, 02:03 PM
well done kirk, always great to see roothy on the cover

flexytj
04-03-2010, 02:09 PM
did you meet roothy

kitrino_tj
04-03-2010, 02:12 PM
did you meet roothy

was thinking that

not sure if everyone knows that roothy is itchy's uncle

Richo
04-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Welcome Kirk.
What makes a tough jeep?
Or a bad head?

wee doggie
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi Kirk, may I sugest a balaclava :p

Never realised you were Rays brother :confused:

Kirk Barker
05-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys.

I didn't get to meet Roothy - although it would be great to. He does a fantastic job and really puts his heart into whatever work he does.

I didn't get to proof-read the article before print. I think it came across generally well. In the story though, Ray is referred to as my brother. He's pretty happy about that!

4WD1 was founded by our director Ray (aka my Dad) at the beginning of the 4WD and off-road recreation boom - way back in 1976. Despite having a face with more lines and ridges than a topographic map, Ray remains at the sharp end of the business; along with my brother John.

What makes a Tough Jeep? Generally anything that increases the underbody and axle ground clearance and approach angles, while increasing the traction, suspension articulation and low-end torque (all while maintaining good stability, function and safety).

How to acheive this is different for everyone. I reckon reliability is an over-looked factor in a Tough Jeep sometimes. Don’t spoil your time away with a highly-accessorised, yet under-serviced vehicle. Generally, vehicle reliability issues are the first consideration to ensure you have safe travels and a good time off-road.

What makes a Tough head? I'll think about that one.

Cheers guys. Have a good weekend.

itchy
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Roothy is GOD!!!!!!!!!

Jeep Devil
11-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Looks like Roothy might of got his beard caught in that angle grinder...:shock:

http://www.4wd1.com/images/newsletters/Feb10/4wd-custom-magazine.jpg