View Full Version : Repairable-Write off!!

Vman
10-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Well it's official. The insurance payed out in full a while back and left the TJ sitting in front of the house for the past 2 months!! So I am thinking there might be a deal to be made here. I called the insurance and asked whats happening with the wreck thats been sitting and rusting in front of the house? They said oh we forgot about that. For $6500 you can buy it!!! WHAT??? Tell them they are dreaming!

Should have said you owe me for storing it for you for 2 months! Please have it removed ASAP!!

It's been de-registered so to get it back on the road would mean a full repair plus fix the mods to be able to pass the pits!

Parts needed (2x full doors and windows, hood, windscreen & frame, L&R fenders, roll cage, flares, door and windscreen hinges, rear quarter panel repair, front L&R below the Jeep logo by door hinge bent in wards, full paint job, mirrors, etc) not to mention items lost (snorkel, bikini & header, spot lights and other bits and pieces) plus potential mechanical issues.

I guess they think I was going to make an emotional purchase!! NOT! see you at the auction and lets see how it goes!

Can't see it reaching anywhere near that price as there are no body parts (excluding the tailgate) left for resale and all the mechanical parts would not be worth the $6500 for 2nd hand resale.

But It would have been a great place to start the comp TJ build!!!!!

killa
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
You should strip it, stock it out and give it back.
I'm sure there are ppl here with bent control arms that could be donated for example ;)

JoeJeep
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
What actually happened to the TJ if you don't mind me asking? Rollover?

kim
10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Goodluck with it Vic!! It just sucks that it happened in the first place but such is life !

Vman
10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Haha Cal, I would think the Dana 30 ARB locked with 4.56 and Dana 44 with same would be gone today, oh and the 6 speed!! But i think that would be illegal since I don't own the wreck ;)

Joe, yes rolled on to the roof. A true "Roll me over if you can read this"!! So "Gang" the bar has been set ;).
I hope I get over the paranoia I have now! I am not comfortable leaning on the drivers side. Need to get over that before I get to the Jambo :)!!

Rosie
10-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Wonder if anyone would notice if someone were to come around and steal the rear driveshaft Yolk?

Sux to hear it was written off but there'd be a lot of good gear in it for $6500.

killa
10-05-2010, 07:13 PM
That's my point. They own a wreck with a transfer case, does it matter that the transfer case is standard or a modded one with an SYE? Not really, it's likely to get crushed anyway..

Adro
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Are the plates still yours?
Going to put them on another vehicle?

Vman
10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Plates will be on the NEW JK in new color.

I hear you Cal! Should have done that while it sat there for 2 months and they didn't even know. But I was hoping of getting it back for a reasonable price. CRUSH IT!!! You are kidding right? That hurts mate................I tried crushing it my self :(.

Maz
10-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Got any pics of the TJ or you keep it on the low down?

Vman
10-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I have pics but will keep them off the net!

Update: 2 months and no interest by the insurance. One phone call and the TJ is getting towed 16hrs later. Pickup 7am tomorrow. Thats fast!!! Wish I had a property would have turned it into a Buggy and the insurance would have been none the wiser!

timmsy_19
10-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Build a comp truck Vic! Ya know ya want to!

Lucafer
10-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Give us an adress & someone will shift it for the nice insurance company people.....lol

MR EXTREME JEEP
10-05-2010, 10:35 PM
If the Jeep is in the condition you describe there is nothing salvagable to begin a comp truck build. You need a body to build a car. And without a straight panel you got nothing. Let them take it. BUT make sure you go to the auction. Wisper the words "drowned", "twisted chassis" whilst people are looking at it and you will be the only bidder. :wink:

Vman
10-05-2010, 11:02 PM
If the Jeep is in the condition you describe there is nothing salvagable to begin a comp truck build. You need a body to build a car. And without a straight panel you got nothing. Let them take it. BUT make sure you go to the auction. Wisper the words "drowned", "twisted chassis" whilst people are looking at it and you will be the only bidder. :wink:

I hear you EJ!!
I like your whisper idea. Need a two man team one bashing the TJ the other bidding ;).
I guess I am coming to the Jambo in the JK :)