PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Rubicon Unlimited

Jeep To Be
16-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi all.
Am new to this forum, but not to 4 wheel driving.
I currently own a 1991 Discovery and am looking at selling and buying a Rubicon Unlimited.
I've driven Land Rover all my life (literally) so this is a big move.
Basically I've got a little tired of driving the Disco, even though it has been reliable and has only ever let me down once with a loose connection to the in tank fuel pump.
I'm loking to rekindle my "wheeling interest" and the Rubicon has got me very interested.
QUESTION
What are the downsides of the vehicle? What are the "pitfalls" I should look for? My knowledge of jeeps is minimal, so I'm asking those who know more than me for some help.
At this stage, I'm looking at the Rubicon 4 door with off road group package and turbo diesel.
Things that concern me are
1. how does one carry a second spare?
2. I presume there are no roof rack options?
3. Driver comfort on long (800km+) trips.
4. how good are the back seats for aged inlaws for short trips?

My wife has a 2 door Z3, so I get to be the one who has the 4 door vehicle for taking the family out to dinner etc, so the backseat is an issue, but it will not stop me buying the vehicle if it works out that it does what I want.

I've done my time in Series Landies and the Disco climbing vertical walls and rock climbing, and I'm thinking this vehicle will rekindle my interest in getting back out there where I can enjoy myself.

Would great appreciate any comments which will help me here.

By the way, I also spend quite a bit of time over in the good 'ol USA, so I'm thinking it will be fun finding accessories for the rig.

Richo
16-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey JTB, welcome to the forum.
Far be it for me to have all the answers, but offer the following:
1. the only 2 ways to carry a second spare is either on the roofrack, or some sort of rear bar. Most US aftermarket bars that I've ever seen are single tyre only, so your best bet would be to check with Kaymar here in Australia.
2. AEV (I think?) do a decent roofrack based on an external frame mounted off the rear bumpers. Do a search on their site or check others on here.
3. Most write ups I've seen on standard suspension indicates its built to a cost, and offroad ride suffers (not just Jeep, any 4by ). Factor in replacement shocks and springs to your budget, you'll be glad you did. ARB, Rancho, etc etc
4. How good are the inlaws? Should be fine.
Cheers
Richo

Yom
16-05-2010, 11:09 AM
spend alot of time driving them. assuming you're buying new, so also look at test driving second hand to see how they feel after a while.

be aware that you need LIFT with an unlimited if you want to go offroad without carnage. They have a very long wheelbase and the fuel tank sits quite low. A stock discovery 1 on unsagged springs will probably have a better ramp over angle than a 2" lifted Unlimited.

A disco 1 will murder a JK for touring comfort...but that is not what the JK was designed for and its only a small compromise.

flexytj
16-05-2010, 11:25 AM
what sort of wheeling do you do ?

wee doggie
16-05-2010, 12:23 PM
You can't buy a Rubicon in diesel, so I think you mean JK unlimited Sport or Renagade. The off road group package is for Sport and Renegade models and adds a rear diff lock and front sway bar disconnect, which are standard on a Rubicon.

superchicken
16-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I didn't think a rubi came in diesel..

Jeep To Be
16-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Oops, sorry, don't know how the original post got repeated.
I was assured by the sales guy at Adrian Brian Jeep that a manual turbo Diesel Rubicon unlimited with Swaybar disconnect, Rock-Trac and twin lockers was available to order from the factory for under $50K.

Tasar
16-05-2010, 04:05 PM
speak to fletch at northern motor group in melbourne - he will tell you all the options he drives and sells jeeps unlike most dealers
rubicon is only petrol
Renegade diesel has an off road pack - 3.73 ratios and rear locker only
will need front locker after market - would be a dana 30 not a dana 44

mopar do a great lift for the unlimited available from all good dealers

Guys regularly put roof racks on them

ps go to a dealer that know his product sounds like adrain brian doesn't

BrisNut
16-05-2010, 08:58 PM
I can only say that with the 2 inch lift my 65yo parents can't even get in the front seat let alone the back seat, it's not an oldies vehicle.

Look closely at second hand a couple of years old, there's little difference in features and you may save $20k.

Parts aren't cheap or easy to come by compared to the Nissota's but from owning a Landdog you would already be used to that :)

Fletch
17-05-2010, 09:03 AM
All the above is correct,
If you want Turbo Diesel you will need to go to the Renegade Pack Sport with Off Road Group, this is the closest you will get to a Diesel Rubicon.
Off road group only gives you rear locker, front sway bar disconnect and 3.73 ratios in manual (auto already has these)
The only negative with the Rubicon is its only available in petrol. This is only an issue if you do lots of city driving or remote outback trips. On the highway the economy is not that bad compared to what diesel owners say they are getting.
I have a Rubicon manual and find it uses average 3L/100 k more than diesels.
Rubicon picks up 4.1;1 ratios and transfer case, front locker with HD Dana 44 axles and diff, rock rails, over the off road group equipped sport.
I have 2 Off Road Group equipped Renegade Sports coming, both Turbo Diesel Autos, I also have a Rubicon Manual in stock and an Auto about to arrive.
Let me know if I can help. We sell Australia wide.

Fletch at Northern Jeep

Pipeliner
17-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Adrian Brien Jeep is a small Chrysler-Jeep Dodge dealership tacked on to a much larger Ford dealership which itself is part of the Adtrans group - Stillwell Ford, Graham Cornes Toyota, etc. For the best Jeep advice go to Adelaide City on Main North Road at Prospect

Jeep To Be
26-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Just want to say thanks to everyone for feedback and input. The Disco is definately going, even though I love driving it.
I've revisited both dealers and now have a better understanding of what I'm looking for which will be a wrangler, turbo diesel, manual off road and renegade options..
I am really pi##ed off that "Detonator Yellow" is no longer available as I love the name, and it would fit my business which is a photo lab!
Fletch, thanks for your input - I am not doing anything until after September when some funds will be freed up. I'm going to enjoy looking at options until then, and I have 2 trips to the US before I buy, so I'm going to enjoy looking around over there at what options are available.
In the meantime I'm going to enjoy watching this forum to learn more about the vehicle.

JEEPCHIK
28-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Hi all.
Am new to this forum, but not to 4 wheel driving.
I currently own a 1991 Discovery and am looking at selling and buying a Rubicon Unlimited.

Ok, I'm guessing this is just a typo but a 1991 Disco??They only started manufacturing them in 1992 unless yours is a proto type??Sorry I grew up on all this Landy and had to ask the question.

As for buying a Rubi, I strongly suggest you keep your Disco.It will be more reliable.

Yom
28-05-2010, 10:52 PM
No the Disco was released in '89. I know as my uncle had one.

Jeep To Be
29-05-2010, 08:54 AM
The disco was one of the first 2 doors in Oz and is plated in 1991. Great truck, but I want a change.