PDA

View Full Version : Best way to learn without too much terror?

Fran
18-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm sure this is a question / subject that's been discussed a million times before, sorry guys. I have had my Jeep for about 4 days and I am keen to get into some fairly light 4WDing (dunes, beach stuff mostly probably) but I've mostly only been a passenger so far.

I want to make sure I'm being safe and not a complete n00b. I'll probably ask my good mate who is an experienced 4WDer to come with me the first few times I go and try some real beginner tracks to get the feel and the hang of various conditions and how to handle them.

Here's my question: looking back, knowing what you know now, what do you wish you'd done differently when you were learning? I really don't want to piss any experienced 4WDers off and I am pretty keen to stay out of too much trouble.

Thoughts?

Yom
18-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Find some dirt road. Get out the manual. Read. Practice what the manual tells you to do. You need to know how to use your vehicle properly beforehand. I say dirt as you shouldn't really put it into 4wd on a sealed surface.

PS: the manual suggests removing mudflaps and side steps before you go offroad...I would most definitely do this or you may destroy them (and the side steps will destroy the lower body in doing so!)

Jimmyb
18-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Always go out with another vehicle!! End of story.

Nothing worse than driving someone alone and going thats easy I can drive through there and finding yourself stuck without and winch and nobody to recover your pride and joy.

itchy
18-05-2010, 11:38 AM
X2 what JB said, get a few mates/4bys together and make a day of it starting on the easy stuff, also is there a Jeep/4WD club up your way this might be a good way to meet likeminded souls.

Make sure you have at least SOME recovery gear, snatch straps,tow straps shovel?????????? there is a thread on here about basic recovery stuff and should also be a couple on local wheelin trips.

Start your own thread on a nooby trip, i reckon youd have quite a few replies!

Jeeptheone
18-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Good oppurtunity for some of the more experienced CQ Jeepers to impart some knowledge onto a new jeeper and have a trip somewhere?

Local knowledge on tracks is paramount also:)

JTO

kitrino_tj
18-05-2010, 12:18 PM
as the previous posters have said, go out and enjoy the day

recover gear and another vehicle is important

keep it safe and drive to the vehicles limitations

OIIIO
18-05-2010, 12:24 PM
There is always time for lubricant!!!

Oh, wrong first time:D...

Jeeptheone
18-05-2010, 12:30 PM
There is always time for lubricant!!!

Oh, wrong first time:D...

Speaking from exeprience Grille Man;)

JTO

F1ERY
18-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I went out 4wdriving last weekend with no other 4wd and no recovery gear...ooops!
Only went on dirt road, checked it first, no mud etc all just hard dirt...it was a very steep hill though..bit of a rush actually!
I've never been a follower... I just got out there and did it, I am still getting use to my Jeep as I have not had it very long at all and I wouldnt try something if I was unsure nor would I try and be a hero and try and leap off rocks etc... I would rather go accompanied but I don't know anyone with a 4wd...so what am I suppose to do?

OIIIO
18-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Speaking from exeprience Grille Man;)

JTO

Ummm, errrrr,,, ummmm.... no.

a mate told me:oops:

kitrino_tj
18-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I went out 4wdriving last weekend with no other 4wd and no recovery gear...ooops!
Only went on dirt road, checked it first, no mud etc all just hard dirt...it was a very steep hill though..bit of a rush actually!
I've never been a follower... I just got out there and did it, I am still getting use to my Jeep as I have not had it very long at all and I wouldnt try something if I was unsure nor would I try and be a hero and try and leap off rocks etc... I would rather go accompanied but I don't know anyone with a 4wd...so what am I suppose to do?

its great that you get out there angel, recovery gear is important

once you get more confidence you may start leaping off rocks

kitrino_tj
18-05-2010, 12:38 PM
i will also a pie oven to the list of essential gear, hot pies & wheeling is what it's about

F1ERY
18-05-2010, 12:39 PM
its great that you get out there angel, recovery gear is important

once you get more confidence you may start leaping off rocks

Thanks heaps...yea recovery gear is on the priority list of things to purchase (well, after shoes anyway)...

F1ERY
18-05-2010, 12:41 PM
i will also a pie oven to the list of essential gear, hot pies & wheeling is what it's about

hot pies hey? ok, it's in the memory bank and nothing escapes my memory bank, I'm a women, it's built in!!..lol...

kitrino_tj
18-05-2010, 12:44 PM
hot pies hey? ok, it's in the memory bank and nothing escapes my memory bank, I'm a women, it's built in!!..lol...

The ******** way is about Hard Wheeling & good food..........

Fran
18-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Lol! My you are a cheeky lot. Excellent!

Great advice, thanks so much, nothing completely shocking to me there so at least I am on the right track: stick with a mate, learn patiently, get basic recovery gear (this is already done - snatch strap, bow shackles anyway).

Best start saving for some mods then I suppose ;)

Yom
18-05-2010, 12:46 PM

You mean Selective memory... :p

F1ERY
18-05-2010, 12:49 PM
You mean Selective memory... :p

For most women yes but no not mine...my memory is genuine and 100% down the line...I remember both sides of the story as clearly as the other...so there!..lol...:cool:

Gildo
18-05-2010, 12:55 PM
From Rocky you cant beat a weekend at Beyfield NP, 5 Rocks etc.
All the things you would want to try as a beginner are right there.
Go with at least 1 other vehicle and take your time.

itchy
18-05-2010, 01:03 PM
For most women yes but no not mine...my memory is genuine and 100% down the line...I remember both sides of the story as clearly as the other...so there!..lol...:cool:

pffffffftt sounds like my missus!

Angel join a 4wd club (MJOC?) or hook up with some other noobs for a trip.
I think MJOC has beginner days and driver training/vehicle appreciation days, see Tasar or BDash.

Fran
18-05-2010, 02:44 PM
From Rocky you cant beat a weekend at Beyfield NP, 5 Rocks etc.
All the things you would want to try as a beginner are right there.
Go with at least 1 other vehicle and take your time.
Been around a lot of Byfield, not doing the driving though, sounds like a good start for sure. Love Five Rocks :)

Not me... I have the memory of a goldfish.. and quite selective too. Dumb sh*t that I don't think is important gets filtered out but I have an uncanny memory for actors and can tell you what really random films people have been in by remembering faces... such an important skill :cool:

F1ERY
18-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Been around a lot of Byfield, not doing the driving though, sounds like a good start for sure. Love Five Rocks :)

Not me... I have the memory of a goldfish.. and quite selective too. Dumb sh*t that I don't think is important gets filtered out but I have an uncanny memory for actors and can tell you what really random films people have been in by remembering faces... such an important skill :cool:

..LOL...good on you Fran!..

BrisNut
18-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Read Magazines, watch some videos, go out wheel and get stuck, just make sure you have some experienced mates and other vehicles with you with you.

Just grab some basic recovery gear,tools, Snatch strap, rated shackles, shovel, axe/saw, don't get too fussed about winches, compressors, lockers and the super dooper stuff till you know you need it.

Joining a 4WD club is a great way to learn and go on some good trips, most clubs do inhouse training before they let people on serious 4WD trips. Clubs also can get some good insurance deals and discounts on camping gear, as well as a heap of people to trade stuff with.

Also an acreddited 4WD course can be a fun day or 3 as well covering all sorts of offroad conditions.

If you get real deperate you could always go on a trip with some Jeepers from here :)

The more info you expose yorself to the more you can learn, nobody knows it all.

Aaronsjeep
18-05-2010, 04:35 PM
stick to web wheeling. its fun, cheap, and you never brake anything..

BrisNut
18-05-2010, 04:39 PM
stick to web wheeling. its fun, cheap, and you never brake anything..
You don't even need to own a Jeep, just be able to use photoshop. You can photoshop yourself and imaginary mates into any Jeep pics you find on the internet :)

Macca2801
18-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Haha I found my Mrs Wright and married her...then found out her first name was "Always"!

She has a great memory if she is correct but I seem to have a bad memory, according to her, when I remember being correct!

Ah well...happy wife, happy life!

Matt.

AussieCJ7
18-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Back to the orginal Question !!!

Most 4x4 clubs will welcome people of all exprience levels, some even offer driving training, I would recommend you shop around a few 4x4 and even better Jeep clubs in your area and get on a few trips. You will get the advantage of being with other people who can guide you, trips are graded by skill level and vehicle level needed so you can pick the right trip for you

Your local 4x4 store will often know of a few clubs in your area

F1ERY
19-05-2010, 07:29 PM
pffffffftt sounds like my missus!

Angel join a 4wd club (MJOC?) or hook up with some other noobs for a trip.
I think MJOC has beginner days and driver training/vehicle appreciation days, see Tasar or BDash.

..lol..hers some pics of my first bit of 4wd last wkend...

kitrino_tj
19-05-2010, 07:31 PM
..lol..hers some pics of my first bit of 4wd last wkend...

looked like a cool trip angel

F1ERY
20-05-2010, 10:25 AM
looked like a cool trip angel

Yea it was...couldnt wipe the grin off my face, the hill was much steeper than the pic shows..loads of fine, I feel a new addiction coming on...lol..
:cool: