View Full Version : Snow Chains at Thredbo - Required ?

sting
23-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Hi

Planning to go to Thredbo around 2nd week of June (probably Snow there then)

Do I require snow chains ?

I got a standard Cherokee KK.

Cheers

Tasar
23-05-2010, 11:39 PM
if your driving through no - if your staying yes
ring the resort to confirm - as they will stop you at the gate

kitrino_tj
24-05-2010, 07:02 AM
i believe you must carry chains even though you rarely put them on

Butt Craic
24-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Both responses so far.... WRONG!

Given that I live in Jindy and work year round for Perisher you can take it from me that the regulations in NSW are different from those in Victoria where to enter the snowfields all vehicles are required to carry chains.

In NSW, 4wds/AWDs are still exempt from carrying chains with the requirement at the chain bays that you engage 4wd.

There is only about 3-4 days that sees the road from Jindabyne to Thredbo covered in snow and the worst section is generally over Penderlea Hill about 15kms out from Jindabyne. There can be sections of black ice along the road, especially in the shadows but there's generally no requirement to engage 4wd if you drive sensibly.

If you are worried about the conditions of the road (once a 4wd starts sliding it's just an expensive, comfortable toboggan) then be patient and the road clearers will generally be through to clear and salt the roads within an hour.

If it is one of the rare 2-3 occassions that we get snow right down into Jindabyne when you come, there's about 30 hire stores around here that do chains for about $20 per day.

The drive from the Victorian side can be a little bit wild but there's also chains available from Khancoban if you're worried and the locals will have a good handle on the conditions of the road.

glend
24-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Those responses were from Victorians, that is why they are wrong. No chains required as spelt out by Butt C above. I've been there on a few occasions when Jindy has been snowed in and driving up has never been a problem (with the exception of the chaos that ensuses when the 2WD people try to fit their chains). Nice to just cruise on by.
However, having a 4WD is no excuse to drive like a lunatic. I saw a Wrangler slide off the side of the road once simply because he did not know how to drive on snow and ice. Take it easy and not much can stop you. PS going downhill on a snow covered road is much more dangerous than going up - select an appropriate lower gear and keep your speed down.

craigtempo
27-05-2010, 11:07 AM
NO u do not need them .
i lived down there for 10 years and was heaverly involved in snow clearing for the npws. if u own a 2wd then u MUST have chains in [ not on] ur vehicle if u are on the perisher road [ not thredbo rd ]
if u are on the thredbo road then u are NOT required to carry chains . reason being is thredbo village is much lower than perisher village hence less snow .
and i also quote - " the day when 4wd,s are required to put chains on we will close the road anyway "un quote .

oh and butt craic is also 100 0/0 correct .

craig

drover
27-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I always carried them when I went up to Perisher and Thredbo, whether in Truck, Bus or Landy, needed them a couple of times for the bus and Landy but the weather always went to s...t when I headed up there.
Black Ice is the big scary if youv'e never encountered it before.
Always carry a shovel, if not to dig yourself out then to make a nice esky for your beer.

sting
31-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks a lot, appreciate your help

I will be driving very carefully, will also keep 4wd on after Cooma.
(That just wastes fuel, right ? Better than being stuck or having an accident)

Is there any other problem keeping 4wd on all the time, for the 5 days I am at Thredbo ?

Cheers

supemad_one
01-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks a lot, appreciate your help

I will be driving very carefully, will also keep 4wd on after Cooma.
(That just wastes fuel, right ? Better than being stuck or having an accident)

Is there any other problem keeping 4wd on all the time, for the 5 days I am at Thredbo ?

Cheers

You wont need 4wd till after jindy if your worried. From jindy to thredbo if you dont know the road having 4wd engaged could help with piece of mind. My olds have a place at lake crackenback and have done many middle of the night drives in and ouy of the area during winter and never had any issues.

The roads are always slippery during winter but as will driving on wet oily roads as long as you drive for the conditions you will be fine.

Dont waste your money on hiring chains. In 20 years of going up there i've never needed chains for the 4wd.

From the sounds of it your staying at thredbo so im guessing you wont really need your car much any way if skiing every day.

Hope winter is good to us again this year and who know may see you up there in the next few months.