PDA

View Full Version : Damage? Learning

Siggers
24-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi Guys,

Wanted your thoughts on damage, and how much you think it occurs whilst 4x4in, I know if you play hard you pay hard... But for the average Jo, who does the smaller stuff and small time 4x4in while taking care, can I expect things to break (assuming things are good as they are, mechanically speaking) or are there a few small things to be looked at first?

Also any one know of any 4x4 learning places, the Missus wants some lessons, she don't trust me haha

JoeJeep
24-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm still learning myself, I go out as often as I can in the TJ and have done bugger all damage other than a lot of pinstripes from branches and a few dinks underbody, I do drive careful though as I owe a lot of money on it.

Not sure where your located, but there should be some basic 4x4 training or clubs to learn at around you. Just have a search on the net.

TassieTJ
24-05-2010, 04:56 PM
we just worked out our ( average Jo) costs for our wrangler, which has been our D D this year,
since 1st of march 2010. it's $538.00 per week, + petrol and it's now sitting in the shed with both diff's out of it.
new tyre's, new copper radiator, new extractor's, tie rod's and then rego + lots of bits and pieces, not including beer..
but hardly touched it last year at all only did 1 crap alloy plastic radiator
but we still wouldn't change it, just had a bad run

Siggers
24-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm on the Gold Coast in QLD, I was looking at Jeepers for around the Coast... As they are based here. But looks like I might have to go to Brisbane for the missus' lessons. Unless anyone knows of any?

Rosie
24-05-2010, 08:21 PM
You'll probally find you go for ages without breaking anything, then you get bored with it's ability, modify it, run big tires, get used to being on strange angles and end driving like a dick and breaking stuff every weekend.

Kiwi Jeeper
24-05-2010, 08:30 PM
You'll probally find you go for ages without breaking anything, then you get bored with it's ability, modify it, run big tires, get used to being on strange angles and end driving like a dick and breaking stuff every weekend.

Or break stuff from metal fatigue. I bent my transfer case output shaft on one of the mildest trips!!! Perfect excuse to upgrade to SYE.

MR EXTREME JEEP
24-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Beginners dont normally break stuff. Repairs are usually a result of low maintanence. If you wheel it through bog holes you need to upkeep your axles and unis. Re grease them after every trip. If you beach drive then fresh water rinse the undercarriage completely after every beach outing. If you crawl over rocks your more likely to sustain damage cause the strain on all your suspension is greater. Inspect all bushes on steering and control arms, driveshaft unis also. Good luck.

Yom
24-05-2010, 10:12 PM
speed = broken expensive stuff.

slow careful 4wding even the more difficult sort of stuff usually only results in aesthetic damage or breaking stuff which was already worn out/due for replacement.

Splashing or ploughing through mud however...that will **** **** up and the best part is it will die a week or two later...

Rosie
24-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I used to care so much about the car, but after a few breakages you realise it's all easy to fix and normally cheaper then you think and now days i just seem to wheel it until it breaks and then upgrade it.

The main things that seem to go are the Control arms and stock output shafts (I bent mine) which can be upgraded to a Slip Yolk Eliminator (which i destroyed). Depending on your tyre size and driving style Front Unis dont seem to be lasting me long either but as said, i use the car a lot and our Wedge trips and mud runs are very very taxing on our cars after going out every weekend.