View Full Version : Help please suspected computer issues

flexytj
17-06-2010, 05:14 PM
ok this is a follow up to my other thread wich i have quoted below
i am not really goodwith electrical issues so excuse my lack of
knowledge my tj is still playing up and was at the auto elec today and they seem to think that my ecu/computer is palying up as they said the pcm
controls the voltage from the alternator or something along those lines
but the car now stalls intermittantly when coming to a stop , cuts out under
heavy load ie 3400 rpm in 3rd gear and the speedo is going mental still
my scanguage is not registering any faut codes and is saying the alternator
i charging between 13.8 and 14.2 volts the auto elec thinks my alternator
is fine and said that the computer regulates/controls what the alternator
does ( sounds a bit mongo but i cant figure out how to explain it ) so do
any of the electrical gurus have an idea before i pull the computer out
and take it to someone like injectronics or source a new computer

ok so my battery was a bit down on charge (5 yrs old ) and my speedo
was doing erratic things going from zero to off the cock and bouncing around
i have changed the battery ( apparantly they play up with crook batteries)
and it is still doing stupid things but i have no fault codes . also when backing off to slow down to stop my revs drop to nearly the point of stalling intermittantly

does anyone have any ideas ?

flexytj
17-06-2010, 05:53 PM
has anyone ordered from here ?

http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/Product/289

tigermuzza
17-06-2010, 06:36 PM
yeah mate, i got one from them around a month ago, turned up in a week and seems to work fine

itchy
17-06-2010, 06:43 PM
When i had my alternator rebuilt he said the computer controls this as the alternator has no voltage regulator?
Rodgebone?
Or any tech heads out there?

flexytj
17-06-2010, 06:54 PM
getting some of these symptoms too

http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=854

flexytj
17-06-2010, 07:30 PM
times like this i hate owning a jeep

itchy
17-06-2010, 07:35 PM
The ECU does not regulate the alternator charge, i can almost guarantee its a loose or corroded connector, the most likely cause is the connector on the back of the inst panel.

Now Ments dont take this the wrong way as i appreciate you are a SNAG but do you have any evidence to back up your claim about a loose/corroded connector?

toddconklin
17-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey spambulance, how you goin with your issues?

Just curious, as from the sounds of things I am going through a very similar issue. I drive a 96 XJ - here's the thread: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96152

I've got some good help on it though and still working through issues and possible solutions. Put a new (second hand) alternator in and seems it is still having similar issues. My fear is that the computer is making the alternator play up. That's a cool sight you have linked to - a couple hundred US is do-able to get a new ECU. I'm a bit nervous about reman stuff - especially when shipping from USA cause it if don't work the postage almost makes it not worth sending back. If others have tried them and ok though should be good.

Anyhow, let me know how the battle goes.

Cheers, Todd

carvesdodo
17-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Spambulator .... :p

1/. Voltage regulating IS controlled by the PCM.

2/. Bad earths can cause running issues ... All to do with the slack method of using selftappers instead of a proper earth point.

Best to clean em all ... maybe even with wirebrush/sandpaper to get good contact.

Replacing the screws with a bolts, nuts and star washers is a good move.

Should be a couple around the PCM, The one from the block to the firewall and the one at the battery.

Happens a bit with the XJs ... Stands to reason a TJ will fall victim too ... ;)
Plenty of writeups on various XJ forums.

3/. Underneath the battery is a temp sensor ... If its faulty, the computer will vary voltage accordingly.

4/. Maybe a computer reset ??? ... Someone detailed the process on AJOR a few weeks back.

supemad_one
17-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Mate stab in the dark but could it be possible that you wiring harness could have rubbed through the rubber insulation and is shorting out or causing the issue you have. Come of it sounds familar to and issue i had where the main wiring harness had rubbed on the aircon piping and then intermitently would touch the metal and short the car out.

Just a suggestion as anyone of those wires could be exposed and cause anyone of those issues.

Macca2801
17-06-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm with carves....would be checking all the eath points especially the ECM itself, clean and retighten.
Matt

flexytj
18-06-2010, 12:44 PM
fixed today i hopped under the car to check the speedo sensor and noticed it was pushed all the way in so i removed and cleaned it and plugged it back in and it inst cutting out or stalling anymore and my scanaguage now tells me that my volts are not dropping below 14.2 where as thet had been fluctuating and my speedo is no longer erratic .:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

flexytj
18-06-2010, 12:45 PM
thanks for all the replys and help to all those that have posted

ajor once again has saved me money and fixed my problem .

itchy
18-06-2010, 01:18 PM
thanks for all the replys and help to all those that have posted

ajor once again has saved me money and fixed my problem .

Maybe AJOR can fix your crabs too?

kitrino_tj
18-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe AJOR can fix your crabs too?

maybe we can chip in and get him that gold tooth he wants

Richo
18-06-2010, 02:05 PM
maybe we can chip in and get him that gold tooth he wants

Along with the testes implants to replace the real ones he lost in that unfortunate and rather embarassing pet shop incident.

yols
28-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I am having the same problem with my alternator. Speedo is fine though. Digging if I check this sensor my problem will be solved and if so where would I find it