View Full Version : Front end squeal

supemad_one
17-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I have a small issue with my TJ. Its seems to get a loud squeal from the font end when driving. I first noticed it after a wet trip out with a few of the ACT jeep boys from here. I just put it down to being grit in the brakes or uni joint. But greased and cleaned all those and its still there. It sounds a bit like sand or grit stuck in the drive shaft or brake and get louder the faster you go.

It starts from bout 40km/hr (to over 100km/hr) and keeps going till the car is warm. You can hear it with the hardtop on and radio on. It last for bout 5-10kms of driving before it slowly goes away. It does it everytime it has sat and cooled down.

I have had my mechanic look at it twice. He originally identified it as being a loose manifold bolt and spring as these were loose. He tightned these a week ago but next drive as it was back.

He had another look at it yesterday but the bolts and springs are tight. The reason he recons its the manifold is that it goes away when it warms up. So when its cold a small gap allows the pressured air out causing the sound and then as the metal heats it expands closing the gap.

If you guys have any ideas or solutions please let me know. Kinda thinking its an exhaust issue which means i can get a new one.

lovemewrangler
17-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Could be your cardan joint...take you front shaft off and go for a spin, see if it still makes the noise.

supemad_one
18-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks mate but its not the carden joint. Tried that.
I went and drove it down my drive way (300mtrs long) and got it to do it with the front shaft undone so turned around and went back. I left it running for 15mins and it wouldnt do it. So definitely has something to do with the engine being warm.

Has anyone else had a similar issue????

I think it has something to do with the exhaust but dont wanna fork out for a new exhaust or repair at the moment.