View Full Version : Oil Pressure High

Ra
18-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi guys,

This morning on my way into work i noticed my oil pressure was maxed out. What are the possible causes for this and what should i check/do before driving home today?

See attached.

Thanks

bally12
18-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Could be a stuffed sensor or sending unit?

What is the normal pressure range forthe tj's too?

tigermuzza
18-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I have no idea what normal is but mine is at 3 at idle and 4 under load

bally12
18-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Ok. Mine is usually around that mark

krankieone
18-06-2010, 09:23 PM
preasure releif valve in the oil pump jambed shut?I had one jamb open before on an old valiant

stroked
18-06-2010, 11:13 PM
the oil pump drive depending on year is run through the cam sensor, it can be pulled out and you can check the busch on the rotating assembley to make sure it hasnt flogged a part of the pump out or something but BE CAREFUL and REMEMBER what rotation mark it came from as timing for these is essential. they can be reset and if you have trouble PM me..

alot of jeeps though seem to have trouble with the sending unti playing up, reset your computer normally fixes this and also gives you good fuel economy for a short amount of time.. i forget exactly how to do this but if you search for it im sure you can find it..

its something like this though:

disconnect terminal
ground out for 1 minute
connect
key to ignition
headlights on-off-on-off
key out.
key in, start..

search for it though..

while driving you should really keep an eye on things if the gauge is high just encase something is wrong. keep checking your oil ect and making sure everything is running smooth.

Nick

bonza
19-06-2010, 09:35 AM
you need to remve the sensor and verify oil pressure using a test gauge

minimum pressure should be 13 psi @ 600rpm and normal is 75 psi @ 1600 rpm.

if pressure is confirmed as high then fault is probably within the pump integral relief valve. it can be repaired by removing the pump which is accessed once the sump is removed and dismantling the pump and polishing the relief valve spool with wet n dry then reassembling