View Full Version : TJ Auto trans noises..

TJIM
26-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Lads,
I've got a 2000 Auto 3spd TJ. Had an auto trans radiator put in recently to help out with excessive heat coming through the floor (took all carpet out and did tummy tuck so space and airflow are reduced under there).

In neutral, it makes a whirring noise. But only when its not under load. As soon as I slip into gear it either stops completely or is only very faint.

It seems to be getting a bit worse as time goes on, it's only been the last few weeks since its started being noticable every time. It still drives fine, shifts well and has brand new ATF+4 oil + brand new filter (2 weeks old).

I know you can get Auto Trans rebuild kits, do you think this would help fix the problem or perhaps it's a bit more serious, potentially a bearing is on the way out? I don't have any experience inside transmissions so I seek your guidance...

Any help is appreciated before I start looking around for a quote.

Thanks,
Jim

flexytj
26-06-2010, 10:37 PM
itchys 3 speed auto let go ages ago maybe asl him to see if it was making odd noises before hand

fil
27-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Sounds like the trans might be touching the floor or belly plate, when you put it in gear it lifts away. If not, you say the noise is only there in "n" and either goes away or is only faint when you put it into gear. Try this, engine running so you can hear the noise, handbrake on, foot on the brake, slip it into drive- noise goes all together ? or still there? If it is still there, its not in the trans, it may be in the torque convertor, or it is something else. If it is still there in drive, build the revs a little and see if it increases with engine speed or changes at all. then try it in reverse and see if there is any difference.

itchy
27-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Different case, mine was drowned and making noises plus intermittently losing gears (TIP dont do bogholes or river crossings without a Trans breather DOH!)
:(:(:(