PDA

View Full Version : Clutch is killing me

Patriot
28-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Hello All,

I've started having issues with my clutch, firstly the other night I noticed my clutch pedal is a lot softer now.
Then a day later i started to have issues putting it in first gear and even second gear and third.

What am I looking at here as in costs to get it repaired. Any recomendations on were I should take it.

Thanks in advance

bally12
28-06-2010, 10:41 AM
need to know more about the issue first mate. is there grinding when you try to put it into gears, can you hear a whirring/whine coming from the clutch when in nuetral and it goes away when the clutch is pushed in? there are a plethera of things that could be the problem... might not actually be your clutch, could be the gearbox's synchros playing up.

Patriot
28-06-2010, 10:52 AM
There is crunching when i try and force it into gear, so i try and avoid forcing it in.
What i do to get it going is let the car warn up for a while then turn the car off, put it into first gear and then start the car and take off like that. It seems to work but not very smoothly like it should.
I mate mentioned it would more then likely be the clutch if i can put it into first while the car is off.

Jeeps
28-06-2010, 11:41 AM
There is crunching when i try and force it into gear, so i try and avoid forcing it in.
What i do to get it going is let the car warn up for a while then turn the car off, put it into first gear and then start the car and take off like that. It seems to work but not very smoothly like it should.
I mate mentioned it would more then likely be the clutch if i can put it into first while the car is off.

Allow $800-$900 to pay someone to supply & fit your new clutch.

cheers

TassieTJ
28-06-2010, 04:42 PM
check the clutch master cylinder fluid first before you go changing the whole clutch

Patriot
28-06-2010, 06:07 PM
ive avoided mud as much as possible.
I doubt the previous owner did much 4wdriving cause the car was stock as and not one bit of mud or sand on the bottom.

Were do i check the master cylinder oil, ive noticed theres two plugs on the gear box, one to fill and one to drain. Is that were i check?

TassieTJ
28-06-2010, 06:36 PM
next to the brake booster on the firewall in the engine bay, the little black bottle

it dosen't sound like your clutch

Russel
28-06-2010, 06:38 PM
clutch master cylinder is next to the brake booster in the engine bay RHS

Patriot
28-06-2010, 08:33 PM
OK, i found the little black bottle next to the brake booster, i opened the lid and checked the oil levels. It seemed to be a decent level, i stuck my finger in and got oil on the tip of my finger when it was 3/4 way in.
I also went inside the car and pressed the clutch with my hand to see if anything looked out of place and everything looked ok.

Jeeps
28-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Has your clutch been really heavy? Mine went really hard for a while then really soft. It didn't grind at all, but first gear was a bit stiff to get in. When westside changed my clutch they said it was well past it's used by date even though it didn't grind, slip or let go.

cheers

stroked
28-06-2010, 10:16 PM
could be what mine did, slave cylinder seal blew out so it wasnt holding pressure..
mechanics will charge you an arm and a leg

Patriot
29-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Update, this morning I was going to take it to the local mechanic. The car just made it out of my garage. I could only get it into first with the turned off, I couldn't change gears at all.
So I made the call to Nrma for a tow truck.
I have a feeling the master and slave are gone, cause when I push the clutch in it's like it doesn't even engage.

TassieTJ
29-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Oh well hopefully thats all it is. give Ring Wooders he has them on the shelf, don't even bother with the dealer.

stroked
29-06-2010, 07:41 PM
sounds exactly like mine. im putting money on the slave.

IF they say they cant find a problem with anything then get them to check the rubber seal on the slave. if its old they can crack

Patriot
30-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Mechanic Rang me today and said it was the slave cylinder that has died and lost pressure.
I rang Jeep to get a quote and they quoted me $1400, i started laughing on the phone.
I then rang wooders and he said 275 for both master and slave. I straight away got them shipped to the mechanic.
Thanks Dave