View Full Version : how to tell if starter motor is on its way out?

bally12
28-06-2010, 09:31 PM
as the title asks, how can you tell/test if the starter motor is on the way out?:( if been pretty sure that mine has been going for the last 6 months, it sounds like i have a flat battery (when it tries to start but not enough juice to fire over straight away) but i only had a new battery put in 7 months ago and there are no signs of it going flat.

mine will try to start as i described before then fire up into life easily on the third time it tries to crank over. tonight it finally stopped working altogether, then it fired up straight away 20 secs after..... :wall:any one got ideas on how to test the starter/ replace?

cheers
josh

krankieone
28-06-2010, 09:48 PM
start looking for a new one mine did that for a few weeks then died did a changeover with my local auto elec

bigredtj
28-06-2010, 09:54 PM
could be the starter, could be a voltage drop in the ignition.

They are cheap and easy enough to replace though

stroked
28-06-2010, 10:18 PM
as the title asks, how can you tell/test if the starter motor is on the way out?:( if been pretty sure that mine has been going for the last 6 months, it sounds like i have a flat battery (when it tries to start but not enough juice to fire over straight away) but i only had a new battery put in 7 months ago and there are no signs of it going flat.

mine will try to start as i described before then fire up into life easily on the third time it tries to crank over. tonight it finally stopped working altogether, then it fired up straight away 20 secs after..... :wall:any one got ideas on how to test the starter/ replace?

cheers
josh

easy as piss mate, just by a new one *make sure you flywheel is okay first* then just bolt it up, no hard job at all..

bally12
28-06-2010, 10:26 PM
easy as piss mate, just by a new one *make sure you flywheel is okay first* then just bolt it up, no hard job at all..

why would i be checking the flywheel stroked, i didnt think it would have anything to do with it??? im positive its the starter playing up

stroked
28-06-2010, 10:29 PM
why would i be checking the flywheel stroked, i didnt think it would have anything to do with it??? im positive its the starter playing up

the starter motor turns the flywheel which turns the crank ect and then continues to start the car. its always good to check just to see what condition it is in.. make sure not teeth are missing or chipped.

just general maintenance to save hassle down the track

Squall
28-06-2010, 10:31 PM
From memory its a 4 bolt job. Also I fitted one of a 95 XJ to my 2006 Jeep and never had a problem. Its hard to find a starter for the newer Jeeps, but Auto1 do the XJ one.

krankieone
29-06-2010, 09:17 PM
there is a clutch in them that gives out you can replace it only if you can be bothered chasing up the bits

bally12
29-06-2010, 10:11 PM
iv found multiple starters for around the 100-135 mark that i will look at soon, mine has just gotten good again so its ok for now, but il be after one in the next few weeks i recon