PDA

View Full Version : What to upgrade

jspark
29-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I have a 2000 wrangler with 31" hw terrains with, rancho rs9000 shocks and coil spacers. In the future i want
33" muddies
diff lockers
gear ratios done to 4.11 so i can still run 31's if defected
suspension lift Probably re 3.5"

But i cannot afford to do it all as i only have around 3000 atm.
What will b the best thing to do first to help me off road?
I was thinking lockers and ratios first then next time round with more money i could lift it and fit bigger rubber, or am i doing this the wrong way?
cheers

CRUSHU
29-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I just took my stock tj with 31" allterrains for a run out Warburton way on Sunday, and found the only times I got stuck, was when the diffs bottomed out.
The only solution would be taller tyres, nothing else would have saved it. Aggresive tyres (simex, swampers etc) would have let me take a different path, and would have let me keep control at low speeds. Gearing was fine, height was mostly ok.

I would get some aggressive tyres, and fit as litte lift as you can get away with, as a first step. My car will spin the 33" muddies on the street, so I wouldn't worry too much about gearing, for Vic style 4x4ing or street use

Richo
29-06-2010, 04:12 PM
If you want to improve your offroad ability, go Muddies first.
Sell the HT's to offset some of the cost.
In low range you'll turn the 33's OK, on road will be more of a compromise, esp on the highway in 5th (manual?)

Then suspension, then winch, then lockers and gears.

Suspension will keep wheels on the ground longer and compliment the rubber.
Winch will enable you to self recover.
Lockers will arguably just get you further into trouble, hence the winch first.

TassieTJ
29-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I have a 2000 wrangler with 31" hw terrains with, rancho rs9000 shocks and coil spacers. In the future i want
33" muddies
diff lockers
gear ratios done to 4.11 so i can still run 31's if defected
suspension lift Probably re 3.5"

But i cannot afford to do it all as i only have around 3000 atm.
What will b the best thing to do first to help me off road?
I was thinking lockers and ratios first then next time round with more money i could lift it and fit bigger rubber, or am i doing this the wrong way?
cheers
your plan sounds good to me, good idea, you sure you don't want 4.56 ratios though? 4.56 are great for 33 really change the heep to go like it should have
Also does "re" mean rubicon express if it does AVOID it at all costs,
Rubicon Express are unable to make a rubber bush (even new style)that lasts if you use it that is. go for currie arms or similar, check out jeepforum.com for more info or PM me if you need me to rant more about there crap bush's and crap warrenty :):)

itchy
29-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Sway bar dis-connects first.
Decent rubber second, See if you can score a s/hand set off AJOR or Outerlimits?
Third, just a single locker will help, mechanical (not ARB?air) will be cheaper.
Fourth, look on same forums for a s/hand (good) winch, DONT BUY A CHINESE KNOCK OFF!

brenttj
29-06-2010, 07:43 PM
yeah i agree with itchy go the single locker up the front and i got 32 with 4.11 gearing works a treat

supemad_one
29-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Also does "re" mean rubicon express if it does AVOID it at all costs,
Rubicon Express are unable to make a rubber bush (even new style)that lasts if you use it that is. go for currie arms or similar, check out jeepforum.com for more info or PM me if you need me to rant more about there crap bush's and crap warrenty :):)

Not having a go at you Jippy but absolutely nothing wrong with rubicon express bushes. I had mine put in back in deceber last year and have done over 20,000kms with them. I serviced them last week and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. I know i have the new set of bushes in it. I am extremely happy and have been recommending them to everyone. I think the trick is to service them regularly.

But only my input. I recommend them.

bally12
29-06-2010, 08:38 PM
a good set of muddies will make a HUGE difference offroad

itchy
29-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Not having a go at you Jippy but absolutely nothing wrong with rubicon express bushes. I had mine put in back in deceber last year and have done over 20,000kms with them. I serviced them last week and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. I know i have the new set of bushes in it. I am extremely happy and have been recommending them to everyone. I think the trick is to service them regularly.

Are we talkin the rubber bushes here?
How do you SERVICE these?
THEY ARE JUNK OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!!!

supemad_one
29-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Are we talkin the rubber bushes here?
How do you SERVICE these?
THEY ARE JUNK OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!!!

I regreased them etc.. ('service' was just being lazy) But havent had any problems. I did a fair bit of research and i havent had any problems yet just saying i havent had a issue. If its happens after 20,000kms then fair enough i havent experienced it yet.

itchy
29-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Are you talkin about RE rubber bushes or the mechanical "ball" type end?

supemad_one
29-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Are you talkin about RE rubber bushes or the mechanical "ball" type end?
Superflex ones... I thought they were rubber and been re greasing via the grease nipple on the them.

itchy
29-06-2010, 09:13 PM
We are on two different trams here.
The ones with the grease nipple are not rubber but a mechanical/ball type joint which i reckon are ace (but still need inspecting/re-tensioning/greasing)
The RUBBER bushes in my opinion are a bad design and are also TOO soft.

supemad_one
29-06-2010, 09:24 PM
We are on two different trams here.
The ones with the grease nipple are not rubber but a mechanical/ball type joint which i reckon are ace (but still need inspecting/re-tensioning/greasing)
The RUBBER bushes in my opinion are a bad design and are also TOO soft.

Ahhh well i have no reason to not to disagree with you guys on this one then. I have the mechanical ball type. I just assumed they were rubber on the inside. Havent pulled that completely apart yet...

If the RE rubber detoriates like the standard bushes then i agree with you..

Sorry Jippy...

TassieTJ
29-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Mate mine are serviced more than most. e.g each time they go offroad, good luck to you if yours are Ok. but if you use them they will fail. no if's or but's they fill fail even rubicon express will say so, you might be lucky.. I don't want to argue about the pro's and con of them... pretty well known worldwide they can't make a rubber bush sorry. there's better out there
you will have rubber at one end mate

Jeeps
30-06-2010, 11:43 AM
yeah i agree with itchy go the single locker up the front and i got 32 with 4.11 gearing works a treat

I agree with this. Get a front air locker (or auto) and 4.11 gears fitted at the same time to save money. You'll probably have a bit of change left over too. With a good driver, a TJ with 31's & a front locker should go further than a TJ without lockers on 33's with stock gearing. You won't believe how perfect a TJ with 31's, 4.11 diffs and a front locker feels. It's an awesome combo, turns it into a torque mad tractor.

cheers

wes
30-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey Jeeps,
Is there any down-side to that set-up?
ie on-road?
Although the whole 'torque-mad tractor' concept should negate any other issues :)