PDA

View Full Version : Play in Steering box

Rosie
29-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey all, just kind of getting back to an old issue of mine while the Jeeps in bits and thought i'd ask here as i couldnt find much info before.

On my TJ there seems to be a lot of movement in the steering box. i can turn the wheel about a 10th of a turn overall without it turning the wheels, i can also rock the steering knuckles foward and back very easily on the jeep before the steering columb shaft does anything.

Is this normal or what? Ive had some other jeep guys say it is but its just on the back of my mind again as my TJ handles like crap.

Ben

josh9465
29-06-2010, 09:05 PM
i too have steering play. the steering wheel moves at least one inch either way.

so far i have:

1. replaced the 3 tie rods that were able to be replaced. (cant replace the drag link tie rod)
2. adjusted the preload adjuster nut on the steering box to reduce play in pitman arm.
3. set caster to 4-5Deg (with 33's)
4. toe-in to 1-2mm

its helped me alot however i have narrowed it down to some movement in the steering box. im not game enough to recon the steering box.

fil
29-06-2010, 09:19 PM
check all the tie rod ends including the one on the draglik, wooders has them, if there is any movement in them it will be amplified by the time you feel it at the wheel. Check the nut holding on the pitman arm, about 150nm i think. also check the steering shaft for movement at the coupling that goes on box. if that is all good then you could try to adjust the box, but it isnt very easy to do in the car, it is difficult to "feel" how much load you put onto the gear. how many km's on your jeep?

itchy
29-06-2010, 09:22 PM
My gammy steering ended up being a worn tie rod/worn front control arm bushes and i think finally movement in the panhard bar from the mounting hole being flogged out from 10mm to about 13mm causing the diff to move.

TassieTJ
29-06-2010, 09:29 PM
mine was the panhard bush end being worn at the diff end... check four play

Rosie
29-06-2010, 10:31 PM
My play is definatly in the box and is felt very easily with no load on anything, will check the imput shaft and pitman arm tomorrow. Maybee it is just normal then