PDA

View Full Version : Noise from front uni's (maybe)

niffa007
07-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok Ok,

i've done my searching and come up with some dead ends and some useful info,

when taking off from a standing start, full lock left, i hear this clunking sound.

starts louder and gradually gets softer as i straighten up and speed off. it sounds like it clunks in time with the turning of the wheels.

i'm guessing it is the front axle uni's, but when viewed, they seem pretty tight.

it's got me buggered. how do i test them and could it be anything else, front shaft uni's maybe.

wana get it fixed before i install end seals and lokka.

cheers Jellow jeepers.

bally12
07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
it doesnt sound like driveshaft unis, to test your axle unis grab them and shake the bejesus out of them, if there is the slightest movement in them it will be amplified when you drive.

does it only happen when you turn left?

niffa007
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah i reverse out of my joint with a hard lock right, then hard lock left and Take off. this is when i notice it the most. it also happens in parks when turning right, but only from a standing start

bally12
07-07-2010, 12:12 PM
hrmmm i would be looking at the tie rod and trac bar to make sure the ends arent flogged out, seems to be a common thing for them to knock when they are worn through

niffa007
07-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Well the trac bar is adjustable and only 4 months old unit from wooders. and the bloke doing my Pink slip said the TRE's were looking a little sad, so that might be it. HD Bar here i come.

Mister G
07-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Tyre rubbing?

I noticed a noise in the front of mine after the 31" KM2s were fitted and it sounded more like rubber on metal than something being worn or on the way out.

I now have a washer added under each steering stop but haven't really tested it at full lock. No noise so far.

redneckjeeper
07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
I get the same noise, checked the front end today everything is OK, sounds like axle tramp, could be control arm bushes, let the noise develope, something will eventually show its ugly head, I have heard the noise before & its gone away, today I greased the front end, Ill let you know if the noise persists.

niffa007
08-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah i have checked the tyre issue, not a problem, backspaced to allow full steering movement. well looks like i'll just have to lift it and check for TRE movement.