View Full Version : Oxygen Sensors 2005 TJ - P0431 Code

Tonka Jeep
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
So I have searched and found that the error code my Jeep threw me today of P0431 is most likely the 02 sensor downside of the Cat (meow). I also searched this forum and read some good info but......

My question is, which I can't find an answer to, is it better to replace both of them at the same time, (up and down side) or just the one the code is making note of (based on personal experience)... I rather save $$$, but if its a certain to do both, I will.

Jeep has only 40,000km on the clock, but its been starting and driving a little rough and using more fuel than normal, so I can be quite certain it is a sensor.

I also want to try and sort this tomorrow (Saturday), so other than buying the sensors (Repco?) and a sensor removal tool, is there anything else to look out for?

Cheers...

bonza
09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
its the sensors pre cat that determine fuel ratios and performance. sensors after the cat just monitor cat performance and do not determine fuel ratios

I would replace them as a pair, and dont use Bosch sensors as by all reports they arnt too good

now back to the footy

Tonka Jeep
10-07-2010, 03:45 PM
So I replaced the two rear sensors this morning and now its throwing codes

P0138 and P0158 at me which are the two replaced sensors (both downstream of the cat)....

"Sensor Shorted To Ground/Sensor Shorted To Voltage
ODBII Codes: P0131, P0132, P0137, P0138, P0143, P0144, P0151, P0152, P0157, P0158
Two issues could be happening here, either the sensor is wired incorrectly or has failed. If you are using universal wire in sensors, verify all the connections are in the correct places and that they are properly insulated. Again with standard original factory style sensors, ensure the insulation from the wires has not been worn through. The lower, after the converter, sensors route next to the hot exhaust pipes and while it is not common for them to melt, it is possible."

What have I done wrong? only thing I can think of, is that I have the wrong sensor in there (I had to go to repco, only place had them on Saturday)

:-?

Tonka Jeep
10-07-2010, 04:38 PM
The other question is:

I read from the Bosch website that there are different part numbers for the 4 O2 sensors, but when buying the generic 4 wire ones, are there any differences in the sensors pre and post cat?

bonza
11-07-2010, 12:34 PM
The other question is:

I read from the Bosch website that there are different part numbers for the 4 O2 sensors, but when buying the generic 4 wire ones, are there any differences in the sensors pre and post cat?

dont know what the differences are, but there are four different part numbers

pre cat rear 5602894AB
pre cat front 5602895AB

after cat front 5602904AA
after cat rear 5602905AB

these are part numbers directly out of the 2005 TJ parts listing manual.

just read the factory service manual and all it says is to tap out the threads of the sensor holes in order to clean the threads and NOT to apply any anti seize compound to the new sensor threads.

besides throwing codes is the heep running ok? personally, I wouldnt use any oxy sensors but the genuine Mopar sensors.

Tonka Jeep
11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Is running rough and rich, so definitely a sensor issue!

stroked
11-07-2010, 11:50 PM
buy jeep ones, they cost the extra but they dont ******** up. trust me. dodgy sensors is the last thing you wanna blow $200 + on.

Cloud
13-07-2010, 12:54 AM
im in the same boat mate, bought my wrangler having this problem (I was aware). I was told if it came back to go back to the dealer because the previous owner had attempted to fix it (spent $600 odd on a new sensor), surely enough the check engine light came on.. I checked the code and it was P0431. So off to jeep I went to have it fixed, they 'removed the code and tightened a few nuts/bolts'... and was then told if it came back we'll try something new. I went on holiday, first day back started it up and the code is back. My fuel economy is shocking atm so I'll be calling Jeep again tomorrow to have it fixed again..... let us know how you go though.

Cloud
13-07-2010, 06:56 PM
so they seem to think (after replacing the sensors in May) that it's either my cat converters or computer

stroked
13-07-2010, 08:53 PM
so they seem to think (after replacing the sensors in May) that it's either my cat converters or computer

try the computer reset..

Tonka Jeep
31-07-2010, 04:05 PM
So I replaced all the sensors and now have a new code!

P0132 - Technical DescriptionO2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank1, Sensor1)

The oxygen sensor heater circuit is shorted out
The wiring to the sensor is broken / frayed (less likely)

This code wasnt showing before, so now I am more confused...
I checked the wiring and nothing looks amiss, so a little stumped.
Can I assume the sensor is faulty?!

bonza
31-07-2010, 10:28 PM
sounds like the connection maybe damaged or poorly connected.

disconnect and make sure everything is ok

Tonka Jeep
01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
So I went through the problem solving steps, (checking each sensor, wiring, etc).
Nothing was working, so ended up pulling a sensor off a friends jeep and trying it.
Voila, no code.

So the new sensor was faulty!

Problem solved, finally!