View Full Version : How to avoid accelerator bounce

cherrykee
13-07-2010, 01:04 AM
4 Jeeps and counting now and i still cant avoid every now and then lurching and bunny hopping my way of the line if i take off to suddenly or hit a rough patch of road and happen to have my foot on the loud pedel, any TJ drivers out there in particular have any ideas on driving thru this unfortunate reaction to hard or sudden acceleration,

currently i just take my foot off the gas and/or push the clutch in, but then the vehicle loses momentum and slows quite a bit.....

crawl3r
13-07-2010, 01:10 AM
i would love to help but i cant make sence of what ur trying to say haha

so when you take off at the lights it bunny hops?

ExtremeTJ
13-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Its comes down to throttle and clutch control.

I know what your talking about i had the same thing with my TJ when i first purchased it,

After driving it for a while and learning how it works it became second nature and now does not do it how ever when my mates drive it,,, it does still Jeeps have a fussy clutch i find and for me it was just learning how to control it.

My 2c worth is learn to drive your car better. Clutch and Throttle control. Thats it as far as im concerned, Human error.

MR EXTREME JEEP
13-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Mate its piss easy. Jam your foot against the kick panel that way it has something to resist against. Failing that get a hand throttle controller mounted on the gear stick. It works like a manual cruise control but at really low speed.

cherrykee
13-07-2010, 07:41 AM
You make a good point Extreme, and your right to a certain degree,
but its also got to be the set up and nature of the vehicle,
eg already in gear (2nd ) and moving, then i hit a set of train tracks (railway level crossing) where of course the road is all chopped up and buckled because the RTA cant build roads for shit,
but anyway, because Im on the gas when I hit the rough bit the pitching and yawing motion of the SWB causes the vehicle to bounce forward and then back and then forward and then back, all the time my foot is also bouncing on the accelerator which in turn makes the car forward/back movement, even more magnified,
surely there may be others who experince this, seems worse in the TJ although my XJ used to do it occasionally even though it was a Auto.

what i do now is put the clutch in as soon as it starts, but as i said, that just makes me lose speed and momentum, which is arse if you have traffic behind you.

bruggz351
13-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Mate its piss easy. Jam your foot against the kick panel that way it has something to resist against. Failing that get a hand throttle controller mounted on the gear stick. It works like a manual cruise control but at really low speed.

You make a good point Extreme, and your right to a certain degree,
but its also got to be the set up and nature of the vehicle,
eg already in gear (2nd ) and moving, then i hit a set of train tracks (railway level crossing) where of course the road is all chopped up and buckled because the RTA cant build roads for shit,
but anyway, because Im on the gas when I hit the rough bit the pitching and yawing motion of the SWB causes the vehicle to bounce forward and then back and then forward and then back, all the time my foot is also bouncing on the accelerator which in turn makes the car forward/back movement, even more magnified,
surely there may be others who experince this, seems worse in the TJ although my XJ used to do it occasionally even though it was a Auto.

what i do now is put the clutch in as soon as it starts, but as i said, that just makes me lose speed and momentum, which is arse if you have traffic behind you.

Thats ya answer right there man.
Use to drive an old 45 with a 253 and it was BAD for it. I learnt to either rest my foot against the kick panel, near the bottom of the door,(wearin shoes) or, I rest my foot on the floor and use my big toe on the accelerator. (bare foot).
Just a matter of learning to live with it.

You can go the bothersom way of modifying the length of the lever, on both the accelerator pedal AND the throttle, but that could also change pedal position.

My 2c, just learn to live with it.

cheers

MR EXTREME JEEP
13-07-2010, 09:26 AM
There is no doubt that the swb tj MAGNIFIES THE JERK but try the foot hard up against the kickpanel and you will be surprised how well it works.

CJ6np435
13-07-2010, 02:05 PM
hand throttle is the go

carvesdodo
13-07-2010, 02:13 PM

.... and fitting a spring to the pedal mechanism to increase tension doesnt hurt either.

crawl3r
13-07-2010, 03:06 PM
i just push the bottem of the pedal so it doesnt bounce back at ya

it will eventaully become second nature to drive the thing properly

the first week i had mine i had the exact same problem...jusst drive it more and dont think about it too much, you will evebtually figure out how the stupid thing works

for some odd reason jeep likes to do things in the most f ucked up ways

itchy
13-07-2010, 06:22 PM

.... and fitting a spring to the pedal mechanism to increase tension doesnt hurt either.

Carves got it, 50 cent fix!

cherrykee
14-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I will try the kick panel press technique, but also this 50c spring suggestion? whats that all about, is there a spring in there that needs replacing or is it something I have to weld on and f**k about with?
thanks for all advice BTW.

carvesdodo
14-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I will try the kick panel press technique, but also this 50c spring suggestion? whats that all about, is there a spring in there that needs replacing or is it something I have to weld on and f**k about with?
thanks for all advice BTW.

Its something you need to f**k about with.

You'll work it out when you stick your head under the dash and look at the pedal setup. ;)

BTW ... dont take shortcuts and put a heavier spring on the throttlebody .... that can wear out the butterfly shaft and contact areas.

cherrykee
16-07-2010, 10:28 AM
thanks folks, the pressing foot against the kick panel works a treat....

Jonny Jeep
17-07-2010, 06:05 AM
I was thinking I'd got better with the accelerator control over the years. I found out my accelerator cable was frayed near the pedal so bought a new cable. The throttle is now as sensitive as it ever was. Even with my foot against the side i can still feel the throttle responding over bumps.

bonza
18-07-2010, 10:02 AM
it's called sensitive throttle

check this out http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96977

the spring was missing off mine, so fitted one and now feels smoother especially when wearing clodhoppers

Zan
27-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Used to get this problem a lot when i first got my TJ, I have found that if you just take your foot off the clutch a little slower in 1st and 2nd then you normally do and be a little heavier on the accelerator it fixes it right up. It's mainly due to the fact that the TJ's 1st gear is quite low, so can be really sensitive especially when your foot starts bouncing as well. I mean, with the low gearing try changing up to 2nd as soon as it starts happening as well, you shouldnt have any problems taking off (you can almost start in 2nd with the TJ) but its not as sensitive so you shouldnt get the bounce.