PDA

View Full Version : uhf radios?

Excalibur
13-07-2010, 11:54 PM
hey guys
im after a uhf for my tj.
got around 400 to spend. i have been looking at the gme tx3340 and tx3440.
i can get theses both with the gme ae4018k1.
one at $400 and the other $440
dont really no which one to go with and if anyone has one of these and can let me no more.
or if there is any diff brands that a better.
cheers

AussieCJ7
14-07-2010, 01:27 AM
I have a personal preference for ICOM and think this is a better package http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=378&products_id=2349 but the reality is in todays age the designs have all got close and made to a price point in years gone by these units were more aimed at professional use an were miles ahead of uniden an GME who targeted highway use

btw look through the rest of that site better pricing than your looking at and great reputation unless you need install also

Judd
14-07-2010, 03:52 AM
I cant remember the model number of mine off the top of my head, but its the new flip one, where it can be mounted upside and the screen flips, i have found it works well, it is a small unit and easy to mount, just what you need in a tj :) the speaker is loud enough but the unit comes with an external speak jack too. I got it on sale at wow sight and sound for $279

Pipeliner
14-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Go for the GME ones you have selected. I have a 3440 and the convenience of having all the controls and display on the handset is well worth the extra cost. It enables the main unit to be hidden away out of sight (as long as you don't muffle the sound from the speaker!)

AussieCJ7, the prices Excalibur quoted were inclusive of the aerial, so Prestige aren't any cheaper.

Excalibur
14-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Yea cheers pipeliner.
Prices I put are with aerial. It's the best price I can find.
Plus I picked these cause I want to have the unit out of site. With all controls on the mic.

Funbags
14-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi,
I prefer to support GME as they are designed and built in Australia (apparently). However I currently use an ICOM IC-440 in my JK and recommend having a look at it. It is the same as the remote display GME that you mentioned BUT the speaker is also in the handset, instead of buried under the dash. No need for external speaker, has more scanner channels too I think.

I had a GME 3440 in my last Jeep, and it was all good except for the sound a bit hard to hear without another speaker. I have also had a Uniden, pick your own favourite of these three brands and enjoy.

Pipeliner
14-07-2010, 08:59 AM
In my KJ the main unit (and speaker) for the 3440 is mounted behind the plastic dash trim around the steering column and I have never had a problem hearing it.

WHHEMI
14-07-2010, 09:09 AM
I have the 3440 and I'm very happy with it the main reason for buing this 3 years ago was the limited space for mounting a conventional unit in the JK.thats why its mounted under the driver's seat facing up and I have no problems hearing it even when I'm a passenger ( maybe the GME unit's are louder than other's )

Excalibur
14-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I cant remember the model number of mine off the top of my head, but its the new flip one, where it can be mounted upside and the screen flips, i have found it works well, it is a small unit and easy to mount, just what you need in a tj :) the speaker is loud enough but the unit comes with an external speak jack too. I got it on sale at wow sight and sound for $279

yea thats the tx3100 i think. the tx3340 is the same unit just with the controls on the mic.
thanks for all ur help guys.

craigperth
14-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I am getting the GMEtx3100 and 6.6DB steel aerial for $365 fitted... not bad I thought. Although the 3100 is old model, I will hardly use it and was going to buy a hand-held...

Buelljeeper
15-07-2010, 04:59 PM
We went a GME TX4400, but I did that so's I can get the extra 10 channels and program the police/emergency frequencies in...

NFI
15-07-2010, 05:22 PM
We went a GME TX4400, but I did that so's I can get the extra 10 channels and program the police/emergency frequencies in...

Pitty the police now use digital communication systems.

Gravel
15-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I have the Tx3100, if ya can't find where to put it ya got rocks in head being the size as a cigarette packet....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Mine sit above my review mirror; more than loud enough and easy to get too... <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Jeeps
15-07-2010, 09:30 PM

only in crowded areas ;)

cheers

Richo
16-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Go for the GME ones you have selected. I have a 3440 and the convenience of having all the controls and display on the handset is well worth the extra cost. It enables the main unit to be hidden away out of sight (as long as you don't muffle the sound from the speaker!)

AussieCJ7, the prices Excalibur quoted were inclusive of the aerial, so Prestige aren't any cheaper.

You can get a GME remote speaker, they are $22 for the smaller one and about $28 for the larger one. Heaps better if you have the unit itself up under the dash or under the seat as you wont hear it too well with the window down or on corrugated roads etc. I put the speaker on the B pillar.

I have the GME 3400 btw, which I've found good, also the 4018 antenna which is good all around. I would tend to shy away from the units with handset/mike with all the controls and LED screen on it, (ie 3440 etc). If it stuffs up (ie you drop it, etc) its going to cost you. I destroyed a handset on mine, I think it was less than $25 to replace with a genuine GME unit.

Buelljeeper
16-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Most government orgs use them in one form or another. When I was a PM with Main Roads, we used the same digital system as the police, just different frequencies. In mackay, and rocky, they do still use the ol HF system tho, and there are several GME models that can be programmed to run on those frequencies.
I think there also exists a GME model that will literally scan the frequencies above CB40, so it ultimately becomes a dedicated scanner.
Of course, if you sit on the emergency channels, you'll never be able to transmit, so it's only for listening. Oh, and don't mention to the police you have it if you get pulled over, cause they'll literally go nuts!

SeaComms
17-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I just bought the 3440 for the JK, because of space requirements. Stuffed the main unit in the glovebox and just pull the mic out and stick it in a cup holder when I need it!

The scanner part allows you to be locked onto one channel whilst scanning a preset group of channels. So you can hit transmit and it jumps back to your preset channel. Pretty cool. Except I havent sat down with the unit and the book at the same time to set it up for that yet.

JasperJ
17-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Personally if I was going to buy a new UHF in the next little bit I'd spend as little as possible as the 40 channel units will be phased out in favour of the 80 channel units. The are arguments in the industry as to how to adopt the new frequency allocations but within 5 years it'll all be 80 channel units.

This is due to start coming in in 5 months time.

http://www.uhfcb.com.au/UHF-CB-Changes.php