PDA

View Full Version : XJ Snapped Axle/ Bent axle

Frocakes
17-07-2010, 03:03 AM
I have a 96 XJ with STD diffs. The first time i hit a kerb and bent the axle trying to drift in the wet.... about a year a go. Now i snapped one climbing up some rocks. i would like some advice on a super 35 kit from superior axle in the USA ? Anyone got one? Do i need any extras? Detroit or ARB locker? A new stock axle cost me 900 dollars and a 2nd hand one is 440 so i think i might just put something better in....

How good is the front one dana 30?
Thanks in advance

sbadman
17-07-2010, 06:50 AM
What size tyres do you run? The D35 housings aren't particularly strong, especially the axle tubes, and it's possible you may have damaged it when you kerbed, not noticeably, but enough to put stress on the axles themselves.

Auto or manual locker generally comes down to personal preference and/or cost; I think the Detroit kit is similar in cost to the ARB, so it comes down to if you want a locker that will simply work without you having to think about it, or one that you have full control over where and when it's engaged or disengaged.

I personally like the ease and drivability of auto lockers, and they don't restrict your turning as much as an engaged manual locker will. Plus they are generally much cheaper, I locked my front diff with a Lokka for under $500. On tight slow turns it is noticeable, but practically invisible otherwise.

A full kit with new axles and carrier will likely need a bearing and seal kit as well, I think these might be included with the S35 kits.

The HP D30 is comparatively far more resilient than the D35, and comparative in strength to a LP D44. IMO one of it's weaknesses is the lack of outer axle seals which can allow mud to get into the tubes and eventually work into the bearings. Outer seals are reasonably priced though.

xj jorg
17-07-2010, 08:07 AM
You can get stronger chrome axles for less than 400 a piece.Check Wooders.I got a pair of 4140 chrome axles for around 500 shipped from team cherokee in the states.Depends on your wheel size and how hard you like to wheel it as to how much dollars you throw at a d35.Is your front d30 high or low pinion?

kj69
17-07-2010, 08:58 AM
have a look in the for sale section super 35 kit for sale there ;)
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97438