PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Spotlights? Help!

cloughcarib
20-07-2010, 05:52 PM
I've got some 55w spotties that I would like to mount on my stock bar.
I have been advised to run them through a relay and I have two questions.
Is it necessary to run them through a relay(I'm from a marine background and a 'small-draw' item like these would not need one for such a short travel with an appropriate switch).
Do the empty relay points in my 'powerbox' have wiring to the back of them at all, or are they just blanks?

Cheers for any advice

Clough

sbadman
20-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't know about the specifics of the TJ headlight switch, but if it's anything like the XJ unit, it's far from appropriate :D

Having a relay allows the higher current wiring to be kept short, keeping voltage high, with only a smaller gauge required for the control side of things (on/off switch, high beam feed where applicable, etc)

litestorm
20-07-2010, 06:15 PM
that's 8 Amps in total I would be running it thru a relay for sure

crawl3r
20-07-2010, 06:38 PM
yeah man use a relay...it also makes life a hell of a lot easier

there is a thread on here how too

do a search :)

cloughcarib
20-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

there is a thread on here how too

do a search :)

Before I started this thread I searched Spotlight, spotties, relay, wiring and a few others, but found nothing that helped(took me nearly two frustrated hours to get through those searches).

Do you recall the title of the thread?

I had originally intended on running the lights on 3-5mm wire through a 10A breaker switch at the dash as I would like to keep the circuitry separate from the head lights.
Is this wrong in automotive application?
What is the STD method in cars?
I always think that the less connections the better.

I'm still curious if anyone can save me the trouble of an initial 'tear-down' by letting me know if there is any wiring into the blank relay points. As it seems to be the 'done thing', I now plan on using the fog lamp relay point for my spotties

carvesdodo
20-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I've got some 55w spotties that I would like to mount on my stock bar.
I have been advised to run them through a relay and I have two questions.
Is it necessary to run them through a relay(I'm from a marine background and a 'small-draw' item like these would not need one for such a short travel with an appropriate switch).
Do the empty relay points in my 'powerbox' have wiring to the back of them at all, or are they just blanks?

Cheers for any advice

Clough

No its not nescessary clough ..... Its just better ;)

Shortest distance - battery to lights, via a relay means better lamp output even if it appears insignificant.

It also means you are not running fairly high amperage wiring all round vehicle increasing risk of shorts and .... worst case ... fire.

The switch to relay wire only needs to be very light duty - compared to the lamp to relay/relay to battery wiring.

Jeep Fusebox ... If theres any wiring under the empty slots it will probably go off to, other model missing components - and need cutting .... Some are also cross linked to other relays ... Better to keep the extra light wiring separate IMHO.

Finding compatible crimp terminals for the U.S. fittings is also a biatch ... thats if you dont snap the brittle housings and clips pulling the fusebox apart .... :(

I don't know about the specifics of the TJ headlight switch, but if it's anything like the XJ unit, it's far from appropriate :D

Same basic headlight switch .... but the TJ has the heavier gauge wiring the XJ should have got. Its still not good enough to safely run, longterm - additional or higher wattage bulbs above what was standard tho.

Far from appropriate .... ;)

Its why the headlight harness in my XJ is a bit ratty ..... Was one I made for a cruiser ... fitted it to the TJ ... and now been in two XJs. :%

carvesdodo
20-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I had originally intended on running the lights on 3-5mm wire through a 10A breaker switch at the dash as I would like to keep the circuitry separate from the head lights.
Is this wrong in automotive application?
What is the STD method in cars?
I always think that the less connections the better.

I'm still curious if anyone can save me the trouble of an initial 'tear-down' by letting me know if there is any wiring into the blank relay points. As it seems to be the 'done thing', I now plan on using the fog lamp relay point for my spotties

There is a heap of posts on wiring driving lights .... Its that damned search function ... :lol::lol:

Relay info ....
http://www.traxide.com.au/Relay_Info.html (info on the yellow background)
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm#demo

Legally :rolleyes: ... you should have a relay activated by the hi-beam via an over-ride switch ... and then the relay allows power from the battery to the lights.

This link has a wiring diagram with all the basics ... and pics of a nicely melted jeep headlight switch socket.
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/relay-diagram.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/automotive-wiring.htm&h=454&w=747&sz=18&tbnid=a2B9cEYNruP__M:&tbnh=86&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddriving%2Blight%2Bwiring%2Bdiagram&usg=__yCBwYW7dvrOCNGyLkWerXqi2ya4=&sa=X&ei=yXZFTNvEJ4aKvgPuyI3FAw&ved=0CCQQ9QEwAA

A relay with 2 x #87 outlets is better than joined wires for the lights imho.

Just in case the TJ foglight wiring is like the XJ foglight wiring ... DONT USE IT imho .... Its not wired to send the main power from the battery to the lights ... its wired to be activated by the low beam and sends the main power via small gauge switch wiring to the lights. Completely back the front approach to using a relay for best effect.

litestorm
20-07-2010, 08:57 PM
thats right a 10A circuit is too small, Run a separate wire from the battery + [put a 20A fuse in it] to the relays. 5mm wire should be fine.
The secret is bigger fatter wire = less voltage drop= brighter lights.

m

cloughcarib
20-07-2010, 09:32 PM
OK Carves, I have all that. Cheers.

Legally :rolleyes: ... you should have a relay activated by the hi-beam via an over-ride switch ... and then the relay allows power from the battery to the lights.

Any preferance where to tie that in (leagally:rolleyes:)?

With no knowledge of auto systems I would head for the base of the column. Is that correct, or is there a better spot to tie in?

carvesdodo
20-07-2010, 09:39 PM
steering column ... saves a bit of wire compared to tapping in at the headlight and doing a loop to the dash switch and back to relay.

Whatever you are most comfortable with is usually the best tho.