PDA

View Full Version : My rear RE 2.5 coils are collapsing!

Will239
27-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey guys,

For a while i havent really been happy with the way my jeep sits, it is slightly higher on one side, and seems to have less lift in the rear lately. I swapped my front coils to try and level it out a little, but it didnt help much.

I wish i inspected my rear coils sooner, because i just found the problem! I remember Ian on the forum said something about the RE 2.5 rear coils folding due to the bad rear coil bucket angle, he was right!

The problem is due to the angles of the rear coil perch / mounts, which only becomes worse after lifting the jeep. This puts a bending moment on the coils, which they arent designed for. The solution is to relocate the coil buckets backward, so the springs sit more vertical.

These are the pics:

The higher side:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/Will239/IMG_0427.jpg

The low side, you can really see the rear lacking height:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/Will239/IMG_0428.jpg

Right side coil, the loops are almost touching!
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/Will239/IMG_0429.jpg

Left side coil, with less of the problem, explaining the height difference side to side
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/Will239/IMG_0430.jpg

Im thinking about getting the gen right weld-on coil buckets, as i can weld and have a welder at home. I am wondering if it worthwile doing anything else at the same time? such as shock relocation etc?

And i suppose i would need new rear springs too...

On a smaller note, is it fine to run the shocks without the shock boots? they never stay fitted properly and just seem to trap dirt...

Cheers,

Will

flexytj
27-07-2010, 03:13 PM
black daimond and aev make bolt on kits to fix this

ian
27-07-2010, 03:23 PM
i think relocating the buckets would be your best choice. there are ones you can get that are adjustable also.

Will239
27-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Not to keen on the bolt on kits... as the AEV one adds 3/4" of height...

Is this the one your thinking of Ian?

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=RSM2100

flexytj
27-07-2010, 06:34 PM
cut the originals buckets off and move them .

mine have been cut and moved

itchy
27-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Am i missin something, whats the relationship between spring mount(s) and spring got to do with this, are those springs not rooted or am i a tard?
Please explain.

Kiwi Jeeper
27-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Am i missin something, whats the relationship between spring mount(s) and spring got to do with this, are those springs not rooted or am i a tard?
Please explain.

x2. Those springs look really odd. There is nothing left on the "progressive" coils.

Will239
27-07-2010, 07:07 PM
The springs are supposed to compress up like that in the photos, thats just how the RE 2.5" coils are. This allows for a very long uncompressed length (desirable for wheeling to keep pressure on the tyres)

However if you compare pics No 4 and 5, you will see that the 4th one has been bent. Since the coil buckets arent horizontal, but quite badly angled, it trys to bend the spring onto itself.

Maz
27-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I was thinking about a set of those springs but I think I have changed my mind.

flexytj
27-07-2010, 07:11 PM
i have seen other coils do this in tj,s

brenttj
27-07-2010, 07:12 PM
yeah those coils looked ********ed

Kiwi Jeeper
27-07-2010, 07:22 PM
I have 4" Currie progressive springs now and they do not look like that at all. My spring buckets are not that rolled back, but then I am running Super Shorty SYE giving me the longest possible driveshaft in the rear. This makes the angle not so steep.

Can you explain what else has been done with the lift? I see your lower controls arms are not stock, what are they? Running SYE?

flexytj
27-07-2010, 07:25 PM
do you have appropriate bumpstops as over compression can cause springs to fail .

ian
27-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Please explain.

you need the upper and lower bucket to sit square to each other so the springs dont bow on compresion. as soon as you move your pinion angle after fitting a sye and lift you have this isssue. and the new re springs dont like it. waynes did this also until he moved the upper bucket.

Will239
28-07-2010, 12:48 AM
i have essentially a 3.5 superflex kit with 2.5" springs. I dont have an SYE / DS or adjustable upper arms.

The bumpstop extensions are whatever come with a 3.5" Superflex kit. I assumed they would be fine.

changing the pinion angle would help as this would make the lower coil bucket more flat, but the problem is also largely caused by the standard upper coil bucket thats welded to the frame...

I think i would buy these coils again, they are definantly prone to this problem more than other types / brands of coils due to their conical shape, but its a problem all rear coils on a tj are subjected to. The bucket relocation is probably worthwhile on all lifted jeeps in my opinion...

Thanks for all the responses!

Will

Morgs
28-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Will, if you are too lazy like me to move the buckets, I would highly recommend throwing your front OE (stock) srings in the rear. I have th 3.5" RE Springs up front and was running the 3.5" RE springs at the back. I didn't have the progressive coils that you have and found mine way to stiff. The stock front springs in the back give a much improved ride on road. The stock front springs may however sit an inch higher. If you still have them handy throw them in and see what you think. You will need to put them in upside down and cut a tiny piece off the top so they sit sweet.

Have a look at my build if you are interested. At the end of the day if they give you too much lift you would not be able to cut them shorter by any substantial degree as the ends need to be tappered in respect to the spacing of the coils.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90005

I wouldn't recommend them for towing however as they are not that stiff.

Will239
28-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Will, if you are too lazy like me to move the buckets, I would highly recommend throwing your front OE (stock) srings in the rear. I have th 3.5" RE Springs up front and was running the 3.5" RE springs at the back. I didn't have the progressive coils that you have and found mine way to stiff. The stock front springs in the back give a much improved ride on road. The stock front springs may however sit an inch higher. If you still have them handy throw them in and see what you think. You will need to put them in upside down and cut a tiny piece off the top so they sit sweet.

Have a look at my build if you are interested. At the end of the day if they give you too much lift you would not be able to cut them shorter by any substantial degree as the ends need to be tappered in respect to the spacing of the coils.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90005

I wouldn't recommend them for towing however as they are not that stiff.

ive had a look at your build before, some interesting stuff going on, love all the fab work.

Unfortunately i dont have my stock coils anymore, would have been a cheap and quick fix but im happy to just do the brackets. Im going with the genright ones through wooders, unless anyone else can recomend some alternatives? I like the Genright ones as they can be adjusted slightly to move the bucket fwd / bwd, and the fact that wooders is getting them in :D