View Full Version : what steering dampener ?

deanfoldi
28-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey guys just trying to figure out what steering dampener to get out of the tough dog RTC dampener or the tought dog SV adjustable any input would be great . here is a link to the dampeners.
http://www.4wd1.com.au/TJ-Wrangler-Steering-Dampers.htm

Dean.

Gravel
28-07-2010, 03:39 PM
The RTC has problems and will make your steering feel even flightier... local 4x4 shop I use says not to use the RTC it keeps coming back to the shop...

Jeeps of all shapes have light steering as it is...

It’s not that big an item... save your bucks and get something that gets the job done... it’s all you need...

It also does not need to be adjustable...

deanfoldi
28-07-2010, 03:51 PM
The RTC has problems and will make your steering feel even flightier... local 4x4 shop I use says not to use the RTC it keeps coming back to the shop...

Jeeps of all shapes have light steering as it is...

It’s not that big an item... save your bucks and get something that gets the job done... it’s all you need...

It also does not need to be adjustable...

Any recomendations ?

Will239
28-07-2010, 04:26 PM
i like the rubicon express one.

much bigger than the stock one, bolt on install and fairly cheap.

I noticed a big improvement in steering feel and response after i installed mine.

Gravel
28-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Any recomendations ?

Just jump on to wooders and he will send you waht you need...

The ome gets a good rap and is used by AEV on there lift kits...

The Rancho will do the Job also...

Here in Perth I can get both for about $130 to $140...

or the RE for about $90...

wes
28-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Whichever one you get, it will be fatter than the stock item. It may rub and eventually wear through. I put some washers on the mounting bolt to give this Rancho a bit more clearance.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41606&d=1280301406

Will239
28-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Whichever one you get, it will be fatter than the stock item. It may rub and eventually wear through. I put some washers on the mounting bolt to give this Rancho a bit more clearance.

this wasnt required for my RE dampner...

itchy
28-07-2010, 06:27 PM
X2, what Wez said.
Mines a Rancho.

Shauny B
28-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I run the tuff dog sv adjustable, very happy with it when you get on the trail dial it in and pick a line. :D

Rosie
28-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Just get whatever's cheapest. I had an OME which fouled real bad so wooders sent me an R.E. one and that fouls really bad too even with a whole bunch of washers under it. No-one seems to care about it even though they all know it's an issue.

deanfoldi
28-07-2010, 08:13 PM
thanks for the input guys just decided to go for the rancho so not thats ordered along with RE 3.5 superflex and ome long travels hope this kit come together well.
guessing it will be a major improvment over stock........well there better be for the price lol.

Dean.

crawl3r
04-11-2010, 01:39 PM
hey guys

im tossing between the rancho and the rubicon express steering dampner as my stock one is rooted

iv heard a few good things about the rancho one as iv been looking at it for a while

but recently came across the rubicon one from wooders, for the price it is i cant see the reason not to get it

how its perform...i know its nothing major but it is gonna help having a decnt one i guess

so rubicon or rancho?????????

i recon the rubi one looks cooler haha but hows it to drive with

yols
05-11-2010, 09:13 PM
How do you know if your steerig damper is stuffed. I'm on stock suspension with 31's and have been considering a basic lift. Is there no point in upgrading unless I have a lift installed

brenttj
05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
my rancho leaks a little it gt a flat spot accross the bottom that i dont no how it got there

crawl3r
05-11-2010, 11:00 PM
i go my jeep fully checked over from rodger and due to the amount of k's mine has done its due for a new one...usually when you have a flat spot on your dampner it can cause leaks haha

Jeepin It
06-11-2010, 09:01 AM
ive got the toughdog RTC and its fine works extremly well and offroad its awesome. Plus since fouling is an issue with these its only the spring that hits and thats no issue because its flexible.

cj5350
07-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Just get whatever's cheapest. I had an OME which fouled real bad so wooders sent me an R.E. one and that fouls really bad too even with a whole bunch of washers under it. No-one seems to care about it even though they all know it's an issue.

never had a problem with it fouling...think you have something bent

crawl3r
09-11-2010, 09:43 PM
i will be going with the rubicon steering dampner after having a word with dave from wooders today...for 80bucks you cant go wrong...acutally its a bit cheaper with ajor discount too :)

he said he has had a lot of good feedback on them and only need a relocation bracket if your running a 3.5+ lift which i am not so i should be chuffed!

ill let y'all know what i think of it when it arrives

[NVIOUS]
11-11-2010, 01:31 PM
my rancho clears ok on 3.25", though the rubber boot was rubbing a little, just removed it and no probs.