PDA

View Full Version : compressor location

Shauny B
29-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi all, going to buy a arb compressor this week, i would like to see how other jeepers have installed this unit in there TJ, i am thinking under the bonnet somewhere did a search but didn't find much, pics would be great. cheers

Wrangler TJ in SA
29-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Shauny B I Have seen them installed on the drivers side where the American version has its battery tray. I dont have one built in to my car as I carry the Portable tool box version.

Shauny B
29-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah!!! my second battery is in the back, i'll make up a bracket so the compressor sits a little higher incase of water damage. cheers mate

Shauny B
01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Finished my air compressor install today, ended up making a bracket for it here are some pics.

markg
01-08-2010, 06:06 PM
looking good :D Shauny B

Shauny B
01-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks mate.

Jeeps
02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Looks good

cheers

Scooter
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Shauny B I Have seen them installed on the drivers side where the American version has its battery tray.

This is where my ARB compressor sits.

TassieTJ
02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
looks good mate, is it worth plumbing the air intake into the cars air box ?

Shauny B
02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, yeah jippy, i did notice the jeep runs a little better with the snorkel and a k&n air filter, if thats what you are referring to mate it seems to pick up speed better than before. cheers

stroked
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
looks good mate, is it worth plumbing the air intake into the cars air box ?

yes, that way if you have a drama and spring a leak somewhere, the airbox has drain holes in the bottom so the water can leak out. but if you plumb it all 100% then there isnt much need to

TassieTJ
04-08-2010, 09:10 AM
yes, that way if you have a drama and spring a leak somewhere, the airbox has drain holes in the bottom so the water can leak out. but if you plumb it all 100% then there isnt much need to

Not sure what you mean there, I was thinking would it be of any benefit to put the air intake for the compressor into the cars air box so the filter doesn't get mud water into it

stroked
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Not sure what you mean there, I was thinking would it be of any benefit to put the air intake for the compressor into the cars air box so the filter doesn't get mud water into it

ahhh, haha bit of me not reading properly and lacking sleep haha.

but ive drowned my compressor a couple of times and its all good still, not sure if it was completely under but would have been farkin close, that and the mid line was over it

Shauny B
04-08-2010, 04:50 PM
This sounds like a good idea jippy, but i haven't done that with mine sorry i miss understood your question.

CRUSHU
17-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Has anyone got pics of the ARB compressor mounted under the master cylinder, on the flat plate? Was is an easy fit?

Jeepin It
17-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Hey mate its looking good, its a good idea to remote locate the intake for the compressor, eitheir for using lockers whilst wheeling around water or evan just too pump tyres up it saves moisture getting into the compressor. And its really easy to do an extention. Mine sits under the dash board next to the computer port.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/dnb_junky/P1000426.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/dnb_junky/P1000427.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/dnb_junky/P1000435.jpg
All you need is some heater hose, the correct threaded fittings and some hose clamps. Im pretty sure it uses a 1/4" tapered thread BSP fitting but it was ages ago that I bought it.

wes
19-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I was looking at the same model ARB compressor at the 4WD show on the weekend - CKMA12.

How do these rate for pumping up tyres? I don't have lockers and was just wanting to use it for tyres.
According to the guys at the ARB stand they are the ducks nuts, but I expected to hear that ;) and was hoping someone here could chime in with some real world experience. I'm sick of buying compressors not knowing when they are going to sh@t themselves.
I was thinking of mounting it on the front bumper where the winch is supposed to be and probably get a makeshift cover for it. Not waterproof, just keep the major crap off it. The guys at ARB said so long as you have an extension for the intake, the pumps work underwater anyway.

Later in the day, a new product arrived. It's basically 2 of those pumps bolted together with a fan. Also available is an optional tank.
Model number is CKMTA12 but apparently not on the market yet, although they were taking orders.

Mopud
19-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I've got one sitting in a box at home still ready to wire up for my front locker. From a previous review in 4wd action they were on par with the Terrain Tamer (which I use regularly for inflating tyres) and i have to say it's a beast. If the arb is as good as they say and equivalent to that then it's got to be pretty good.

Terrain Tamer
http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/images/uploaded_files/product/1236900716-ttac3compressor.jpg

Tonka Jeep
19-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey mate its looking good, its a good idea to remote locate the intake for the compressor, eitheir for using lockers whilst wheeling around water or evan just too pump tyres up it saves moisture getting into the compressor. And its really easy to do an extention. Mine sits under the dash board next to the computer port.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/dnb_junky/P1000426.jpg

All you need is some heater hose, the correct threaded fittings and some hose clamps. Im pretty sure it uses a 1/4" tapered thread BSP fitting but it was ages ago that I bought it.

This is same location I have mounted mine, but haven't relocated the intake as yet. How the hell is your engine bay so clean?!!?!?!

wes
19-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Haha yeah, the engine bay is cleaner than his interior:D:D:D

Jeepin It
19-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Haha the interior is just as clean haha, bit of a clean freak. Makes it easier when I've goto work on it ( which is pretty often) but yeh they can be run underwater with the extention. It's good insurance for the little cost