View Full Version : Malfunction Indicator

Excalibur
31-07-2010, 03:06 PM
hey guys i noticed this morning when i was doing bits in the TJ,
that when i turn it to prestart all lights come on go off apart from the Malfunction Indeicator light, it stayed on flashed then just stayed on again.
but when i start it up the light goes off and seems to run fine.
i read in the booklet but when it says about the flashing it does no stat if its with car running or off.
so if anyone noes if it just does this anyway or there is a problem, it the first time iv noticed it stay on like that.
cheers guys

bonza
31-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I think that is normal

if you just switch the ignition on without staring the MIL will flash and once started should turn off if everything is ok

you can run a diagnostic check to see if any codes are present

Jonny Jeep
01-08-2010, 04:03 AM
The first seven second illumination when the ignition is first turned on is a lamp test. If it blinks on then back off again this indicates an error has been recorded by the computer and there should be a code. The fact it goes out when the Jeep is started means the fault has cleared. It seems strange it would do that. The only way to find out what is causing the lamp to illuminate is to find out what the code is and see if anything can be done about it.

Within five seconds and without starting the engine, turn the ignition on-off-on-off-on. Leave it on the third time and watch the odometer. Make a note of any codes that appear and let us know what they are. When finished the odometer will display done and you can switch it off.

bonza
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
just tested mine to confirm how it works

switched on ignition without starting, MIL stays on for a few seconds then goes into blinking mode

as Jonny Jeep says, first 7 second seconds is lit to test the lamp and thereafter blinks because there is a fault

the fault probably being code f**wit, "you've left the ignition on"

obviously the fault clears when the engine is running because that is the only reason the ignition should be switched on for

Excalibur
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Yea cheers guy. I did that key dia test no codes come up. Just said done so guess that means it's all ok.
Prob just noticed it cause I was sat in there with it on and not starting it.

Jonny Jeep
01-08-2010, 08:55 PM
On my 97 model it illuminates then goes off and stays off. I know of no vehicle that operates in any other way. It seems strange it should come back on. Just found an online copy of the 06 Owners manual and it seems the lamp should operate the same way as mine.

05 FSM indicates it may come on twice for seven seconds but is not particularly clear... "Bulb Test - Each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position the indicator is illuminated for about seven seconds as a bulb test. The entire two seven second bulb test is a function of the PCM."

Not what I'd call plain English. Perhaps that means it should come on for seven seconds blink off then come on for another seven seconds?