PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a tow-bar installer?

Red Rock
08-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi Guys,

I need to fit a tow-bar to my new 2 door JK and wondered if anyone could recommend a dealer/installer in the northern suburbs of Melbourne (Greensborough/Eltham kinda area), that won't charge the earth? How much should I expect to pay etc?

Also, I was hoping for some suggestions on the type of tow bar to fit so I future proof the JK for when I eventually fit aftermarket front and rear steel bars...? i.e. I don't want to go to a regular on-road installer if they supply and fit a tow-bar that will cause problems off road in the future.

Appreciate any advice guys.

Cheers,
Red Rock.

SeaComms
08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Contact Jamie at Northern Motor Group - excellent prices, then install it yourself. Takes an hour or two. Comes with everything you need, including full plug'n play wiring kit and very good instructions.

From what I have seen, the ARB bar mounts above it, so shouldnt be a problem down the track. Besides, if its in the way in a year or so just sell it off.

Red Rock
14-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I was talking to another JK owner, he said you need to relocate the rego plate and cut the bottom off the rear bumper to provide clearance? I'll drop in to see Fletch at Northern Group to see what the score is...

Cheers

Pete_m
14-08-2010, 10:44 AM
The kit comes with the stuff you need to move your rego plate, including new lights mounts, screws, basically everything you need other then few spanners and something to cut the bottom off the bumper, I used a jig saw takes about 20seconds

SeaComms
14-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I used a hand saw to trim the bottom off, then remembered the jig saw and used it to trim the cutout for the tow bar! Cleaned it up with a file then a bit of sandpaper and all good.

You do have to remove the rear bumper, but a basic socket set will get it off in a matter of minutes. The new tow bar then simply bolts on to the existing bar that runs between the chassis rails.

The wiring loom it comes with is simply plug in - you undo two screws on the tail light, it pops out, you pull the plug off the back and plug the new loom in to the tail light then plug the original plug into the loom as well. Repeat for the other side then attach the 7 pin flat plug to the bracket on the tow bar.

The number plate relocation kit includes the flat plate and lights and all mounting screws and spacers. A battery drill is ideal to drill a small pilot hole in the plastic bumper then simply position the plate and screw it on.

Attach number plate and all done. The instructions that come with it are very good with pictures. Providing you have a socket set and basic hand tools you should have no problems.