View Full Version : TJ bumper

jspark
08-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I decided that i need a winch so me and a mate got together and started designing a winch bar. So far we have got 4mm plate steel and have folded the main part that sits over the chassis rails. we will then be welding on side parts to follow the lines on the jeep.
My question is will the 4mm b strong enough to support a 12000lb winch?

kitrino_tj
08-08-2010, 07:44 PM
possibly, any reason why you need a 12000lb winch for a light tj?

jspark
08-08-2010, 08:00 PM
possibly, any reason why you need a 12000lb winch for a light tj?

Not at all... it was just thought. is 9500 heaps?
will 4mm be sufficient?

jspark
08-08-2010, 08:04 PM
This is what i want the bumper to look like.

flexytj
08-08-2010, 08:27 PM
kinda like this

http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=AJTJ_BAR_F_HighRock_BES

Morgs
09-08-2010, 01:20 PM
J Spark your design looks similar to the bumper I made.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90005&page=2

I don't think you would need the "wings" to be 4mm as the whole thing would be way too heavy. If you have already folded the 4mm around the front to form the centre of the bumper it might be worth gusseting the centre to strengthen up the design. Essentially, in bolting the winch to the 4mm flat plate you will want the points where the winch is bolted to the bumper to be braced back to the lower plate near the lower bumper bolts (if that makes sense). Essentially, you want the pulling strength of the winch to be held by all six bolts not just the top four.

When I made up my bumper using 1.6mm steel plate I wrapped it around the centre of the stock front bumper. I had thought that I would later remove the middle section of the stock front bumper and get some 6mm plate to sit where the stock front bumper is now (as a winch plate). I then intended to bend some 6mm steel to use as bracket back to where the lower bolts are (if that makes sense.

The problem I have with your design is unless the 4mm plate is properly gusseted and the welds are good I would be a little worried winching up steep slopes when you life may depend on 4mm mild steel holding.

This is just my 2 cents by the way. Keep us posted on on how things go.

jspark
09-08-2010, 11:56 PM
J Spark your design looks similar to the bumper I made.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90005&page=2

I don't think you would need the "wings" to be 4mm as the whole thing would be way too heavy. If you have already folded the 4mm around the front to form the centre of the bumper it might be worth gusseting the centre to strengthen up the design. Essentially, in bolting the winch to the 4mm flat plate you will want the points where the winch is bolted to the bumper to be braced back to the lower plate near the lower bumper bolts (if that makes sense). Essentially, you want the pulling strength of the winch to be held by all six bolts not just the top four.

When I made up my bumper using 1.6mm steel plate I wrapped it around the centre of the stock front bumper. I had thought that I would later remove the middle section of the stock front bumper and get some 6mm plate to sit where the stock front bumper is now (as a winch plate). I then intended to bend some 6mm steel to use as bracket back to where the lower bolts are (if that makes sense.

The problem I have with your design is unless the 4mm plate is properly gusseted and the welds are good I would be a little worried winching up steep slopes when you life may depend on 4mm mild steel holding.

This is just my 2 cents by the way. Keep us posted on on how things go.

Thats also what i thought... 4 mm might not be enough. Would u run gussets on the top/front edge inside or would it b best to have like struts from top to bottom?
Or would it b better to have a 2nd layer of 4mm steel welded and bolted? Im just thinking it will become to heavy if i do that.

Morgs
10-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Thats also what i thought... 4 mm might not be enough. Would u run gussets on the top/front edge inside or would it b best to have like struts from top to bottom?
Or would it b better to have a 2nd layer of 4mm steel welded and bolted? Im just thinking it will become to heavy if i do that.

I think you already know where this is going, and I appreciate the work that you have already done on bending the 4mm plate - But - trying to gusset the bumper with the tube that braces the left and right chassis rails is not going to be easy. I'm at work at the moment and the TJ is at home. I'm trying to remember where exactly the brakelines? were across the front. You might be able to bend up a further section of 4mm plate to bend around the back of what you sound like you have already made (essentially a u section). At the end of the day you may be able to make a similar design for the back as the front. You could just bolt the bent u section to the u you have made for the front. Use the same bolts to attach the winch as those used to hold the top of the brace to the bar you have already made. attach the bottom of the back u section to the bottom of the front u section you have made with 3 high tensile bolts.

Be mindful of being able to tighten the bolts that you use as the tube currently bracing the left and right chassis rails will make it difficult to insert and tighten bolts ( You may have to weld some flat steel to the bolt heads but you don't want to loose the strength of the bolt heads on the bolts that will attach the winch).