View Full Version : Brake pads wearing out more on passenger side than drivers

josh9465
09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
My brake pads are wearing more on the passengers.

Is this a caliper (I have rear disc conversion) issue, master cylinder issue or proportioning valve issue.

Macca2801
10-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Josh I will confirm at work tomorrow but I'm 99.9 % sure the tj has a front rear 60/40 ish split, not left right like a front wheel drive. So it is impossible for the wear rates on the passenger side be linked to a hydraulic problem.... Unless you have dented both lines feeding both individual LHS calipers?? Are you still running floating calipers(one sided piston)? Is the pad wear consistent between the inside and outside pads? If it's uneven then your problem is most likely seizing/sticking caliper slides. Let me look and check on the system to be sure and i will get back to you.
Matt

itchy
10-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Mud/rust and junk on the caliper piston,pull it apart and see if you can clean it up.

josh9465
10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Josh I will confirm at work tomorrow but I'm 99.9 % sure the tj has a front rear 60/40 ish split, not left right like a front wheel drive. So it is impossible for the wear rates on the passenger side be linked to a hydraulic problem.... Unless you have dented both lines feeding both individual LHS calipers?? Are you still running floating calipers(one sided piston)? Is the pad wear consistent between the inside and outside pads? If it's uneven then your problem is most likely seizing/sticking caliper slides. Let me look and check on the system to be sure and i will get back to you.
Matt

yep both are floating calipers. there is slightly more wear on the piston side pad than the non piston side pad.

whats the best grease to use on the caliper slides. ive been using brake caliper grease. its black but it drys out only after a few months.

Macca2801
10-08-2010, 01:52 PM
yep both are floating calipers. there is slightly more wear on the piston side pad than the non piston side pad.

whats the best grease to use on the caliper slides. ive been using brake caliper grease. its black but it drys out only after a few months.

Does sound like the slides are holding on!

Going back to my apprentice days,the old boy at Interbrake (brissy) used antisieze mixed with high temp bearing grease...50/50. The grease stops the antisieze drying. He used it on everything...even clutch splines to stop the clutch disc siezing on the input shaft.

Ive been doing it ever since and never had a problem with my caliper slides siezing. All that aside...what your doing should be fine, the caliper grease it great and the right stuff to use but any caliper will sieze if its not maintained.

Worse thing we do is pressure wash out stuff now...the high pressure gets behind the seals and ANY grease will eventually dry out.

So basically, I dont think you are doing anything wrong...prob just need to jump under there avery 6 months and regrease the slides.

Matt.

josh9465
10-08-2010, 11:30 PM
thanks for the info macca.

the mixing of the grease is a great idea.

ill try that on my passenger sides. as they seem to be wearing less.