View Full Version : Torx screws windshield bracket

Jeepin It
12-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Just wondering if anyone is encountering the same problems I am. They seem to be wayy to tight , has anyone got a method to do it without stripping the head,

Judd
12-08-2010, 01:42 PM
the hammer might not work, i stuffed all of mine and it was a pain, my best advice is use a pen torch or small blow torch and heat the bolt, you don need to make it bright red but hot enough that you wouldnt touch it with a bare finger, and start with the bolt on the front not the side of the bracket

ian
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
http://i16.tinypic.com/2qsntjd.jpg

;)

crawl3r
12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
it took forever to get mine out with rodgbone but we tried everything and they wouldent budge

we had to drill and tap one bolt out but the rest just use a breaker bar attacked the the correct siez torx key and use your body wait to break them loose

dont worry about stuffing up the torx screw becuause u can chuck them in the bin once they are off, go get yourself some HEX bolts and put them in there ahaha

let us no how you go, have fun with these buggers

bonza
12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
the screws are held in place by loctite

hitting them and trying to wrench them is going to do stuff all. the only thing that really works is to melt the loctite. this can be done by heating up the torx driver stinking hot and letting the heat transfer into the screw. do this several times until the screw is very hot and it should then unscrew. try and start with a heat gun or similar first

this just about goes for every nut and bolt on a Jeep

lovemewrangler
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
put the torx bit on the end of a extension bar and flog it with a hammer.... worked for mine regardless of what bonza reckons...

itchy
12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Try the search button

crawl3r
12-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Brute force!

carvesdodo
12-08-2010, 10:26 PM
the screws are held in place by loctite

hitting them and trying to wrench them is going to do stuff all. the only thing that really works is to melt the loctite. this can be done by heating up the torx driver stinking hot and letting the heat transfer into the screw. do this several times until the screw is very hot and it should then unscrew. try and start with a heat gun or similar first

this just about goes for every nut and bolt on a Jeep

Actually .....

I got two undone one afternoon .... before I drilled the heads off the rest ... ;)

damn mapp gas gun was empty ... :D

BennyWA
12-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Anyone heard of an Impact driver?
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/tools/photo/5542.jpg

Jeepin It
14-08-2010, 06:45 PM
i ended up getting the blow torch on em and using a battery impact driver came out really easy. cheers to some

Judd
14-08-2010, 09:26 PM
i ended up getting the blow torch on em

Told ya ;)

RockyOne
19-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Good question..Thanks for the helpful answers. Wonder if that freeze kit in aerosols would help. Might be the go straight after the 'hot' method.Just wondering if anyone is encountering the same problems I am. They seem to be wayy to tight , has anyone got a method to do it without stripping the head,

wes
19-08-2010, 11:12 AM
You think the windsheild bracket bolts are a pain?
Wait till you need to pull the tailgate hinge bolts!

carvesdodo
19-08-2010, 11:18 AM
You think the windsheild bracket bolts are a pain?
Wait till you need to pull the tailgate hinge bolts!

:mrgreen:

And even the bonnet and door hinges have at least one to spoil an afternoons strip down.

I destroyed a cheapy impact driver stripping a TJ .... :D

Wrangler TJ in SA
19-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Well I removed all the Torx Bolts out of My windscreen with out an issue, NO HEAT Just a bit of Elbow, all came out without a problem.
I was seriously concerned about this before I started my project, after reading the many problems and methods ppl on here have had, but they all came out fine.
mind you I did replace the Windscreen torx bolts with normal USM Bolts in the end.

crawl3r
19-08-2010, 03:22 PM
i got my tailgate bolts off fine, my door bolts gave me a few problems and i broke one but meh you can even tell and the windsheild bolts were a BItch

but we got them eventually, all jeeps are built different,

krankieone
22-08-2010, 09:34 PM
soldering Iron on bolt head ;)

wes
23-08-2010, 10:37 AM
soldering Iron on bolt head ;)

Good call.