PDA

View Full Version : Older Jeeper maybe returning....

Devilish
17-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Well well well well well....

Had a 2003 TJ
Had a 2007 JK Unlimited diesel... that spent more time back under warranty than in my garage... hence the while away from jeeps...

Looking at getting back into a shorty JK... with all the problems I had with the diesel I am a bit worried about going one again,... most likely interested in the petrol...

Does anyone tow a trailor with the JK shorty?? I am lookin at a Enclosed Bike trailer that carried two sports bikes and gear...

I am hoping the new shorty JK are as capeable as the old TJ's... MY TJ had a 2 inch lift and 31inch muddies and it went everywhere the 7 inch lifted patrols and land cruisers went... LOVED IT! but again... I don;t really want to buy something that old again...

so here I endeth this rant...

Currently got a 09 VW Transporter used to getting my bikes to the track and back... but it's shit driving an empty van most of the time.... Had 22's on it which looked trick until the boys in blue made me empty my wallet with a nice fine...

Used to buy a lot off stuff off wooders... I know he's still lurking around...

Devilish
17-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know if Guy is still selling Jeeps anywhere?? He used to work at Jeep on Parramatta Road Burwood, then the Napean Group Jeep out at Mulgoa Road... Just called there and he's not there anymore...

Maz
17-08-2010, 12:23 PM
devilish from way back. Buy a TJ again. JK's are for po0fs.

Devilish
17-08-2010, 01:17 PM
yeah, from back in 2004??

Riding bikes around racetracks is my thing now... so I need something that can pull a trailer and still be fun... A JEEP! :)

For offroading too of course :)

Matty ducati
17-08-2010, 04:06 PM
welcome back to the madhouse

Devilish
17-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I have been lurking round a few other sections and it's good to see some of the old crew are still around :P

Anyone want to buy an 09 Transporter?? haha

Gravel
17-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Used to tow a boat with my 2 door... :D

<O:p</O:p5m quintrex with 4 stroke... all was fine except for the bigger hills when going south to Albany etc... Then it was just a case of selecting the right gear first.

<O:p</O:pSold the boat last christmas, was spending too much time wheelin the jeep instead of getting the boat wet... :rolleyes:<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Davesjeep
17-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know if Guy is still selling Jeeps anywhere?? He used to work at Jeep on Parramatta Road Burwood, then the Napean Group Jeep out at Mulgoa Road... Just called there and he's not there anymore...

Not sure where he went. I know he left Neapean motor group, over a month ago though. I went to drop to see him they said he had moved on

Devilish
17-08-2010, 05:21 PM
is Guy still on here?? think his name was 'SalesGuy'

Yom
17-08-2010, 05:32 PM
You could just call Ian fletcher in Melbourne. Top bloke and I wish I'd bought a green one he had for sale when I was looking rather than a black one which popped up for sale here in QLD. He is excellent to deal with in the way of interstate sales.

Plus the diesels are still the pick of the JK range and you're unlikely to have electrical or mechanical faults. JK problems these days are more down to poor assembly and shitty quality steering components. The petrol sports are still completely underwhelming to drive IMHO.

glend
17-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I'd second Yom, the diesels have improved since 2007. My son's 2008 CRD has not missed a beat and just completed the SJC Simpson Desert Trip. Close to 50000kms now and no issues.

Devilish
17-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Stopped off at the local stealership tonight and they seemed useless... hadn't been selling jeep long... told me any diesel is 6 to 8 weeks off, so no good bargains to be had... that sucks..

salesguy
17-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey Kerrod !

Yep, I'm still around !

I'm now at Scuderia Veloce Motors Chrysler Jeep Dodge at Chatswood. We'll be moving the shop to Mosman next month, though.

As always, my number is 0414 MOPAR1 - this will never change.

JEEPCHIK
17-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Devilish, petrol JK's have just as many problems as diesel JK's.Mine has been a nightmare, still not fixed properly.Sellingback to the dealership I got it from last year and replacing it with a 97 XJ.

Petrol shorty JK's are also crap at towing.My old TJ was much,much better at towing.They've got no balls!

Buy a TJ or XJ.

Devilish
18-08-2010, 09:10 AM
TJ's just looking better and better....

Yom
18-08-2010, 09:18 AM
You're nuts if you think you're going to have less chance of problems with an older vehicle. ;)

In saying that you've got more chance of reliability with a late 80's or early 90's SWB Patrol or Maverick than you do a recent model Jeep.

Devilish
18-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I do prefer buying new for the warranty... My TJ was bulletproof... just getting 280km our of the tank sucked hard when my commute was 80km one day...

JasperJ
18-08-2010, 12:49 PM
280 km on a tank bloody hell, that makes me appreciate the JK Unlimited CRD even more. I get about 800 km to a tank. I fill up when the lo-fuel nag comes on and then only get about 75 -80 L in.

Devilish
18-08-2010, 02:12 PM
well that was 280km with 31inch muddies and a 2 inch lift... bars all round...

jzp
18-08-2010, 09:35 PM
If you're looking for something more modern and a vehicle you can live with day to day - but want to stay away from diesel - you have no option but the petrol JK.

But you probably know that already.

I purchased a JK unlimited Rubicon from Fletch in Melbourne. I tow a bit with the Rubi. I couldn't imagine towing anything too heavy with the standard JK.

I had a modded TJ, and in comparison - find the Rubicon is a really capable vehicle. Keep in mind my car is only 6 months old and has probably had all the early bugs ironed out by now.

I couldn't imagine going back to a modded TJ unless it was a dedicated bush basher.

With diff locks and swaybar discos standard - all you need is a small lift and decent tyres - you'll get a much more refined and capable vehicle with heaps better fuel economy.

I still get around 500+ km to the tank with bigger tyres. It pays for itself just in fuel ecomomy compared to a TJ.

Just double check the shorty's towing capacity. I think it aint so good.

.... my 5 cents....

Devilish
18-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for that JZP!

I wouldn;'t be towing much, maybe a trailer weighing 300kilo's and a bike weighing 180kilo's... if I get the electrics brake setup I can tow 1600kilo's....

JasperJ
19-08-2010, 05:19 PM
well that was 280km with 31inch muddies and a 2 inch lift... bars all round...

LOL, I'll see you 31" and raise you by only an inch, with another 1 1/2" in the suspension and see your bars. Before this stuff went on I could get 900 km out of a tank.

The JK diesel will pull what you want and give you good economy as well, get the Auto and more torque as well. In the shorty you don't have the piss poor ramp over........ ah pfft, you used to have a JK you already know what they are like. The CRD has good power, it is a reliable engine team it with the auto and you'll have no problems pulling your bikes around.

Gravel
19-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for that JZP!

I wouldn;'t be towing much, maybe a trailer weighing 300kilo's and a bike weighing 180kilo's... if I get the electrics brake setup I can tow 1600kilo's....

As mentioned before....<O:p</O:p

Towed a 5 m quintrex with 4 stroke... gmv @ 1200kg dry @ 1400kg when I loaded it... no problem with normal Boat trailor with normal drum brakes...<O:p</O:p

The 2 Door with tow pack is rated to 1500kg braked (I think; I'm too lazy to go look at my tow ball and tongue weight etc)...
<O:p
You can get electric brakes if you want but you do not need at that weight... save your money...

Non braked load is the standard of 700 kg as per all vehicles....

Did the towing on several trips that would be @ 1000 km to 1500 km round trips with out any hassles...

<O:p</O:pBut hey... WA is a little flatter than the east coast...

Without the tow pack (if I remember correctly) the standard towing capacity of the two door is only about 950 kg. the Rubi will be 1500 kg...

its the diff ratio's that make the diff... which relate to carrier size and BS....<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Devilish
19-08-2010, 07:10 PM
LOL, I'll see you 31" and raise you by only an inch, with another 1 1/2" in the suspension and see your bars. Before this stuff went on I could get 900 km out of a tank.

The JK diesel will pull what you want and give you good economy as well, get the Auto and more torque as well. In the shorty you don't have the piss poor ramp over........ ah pfft, you used to have a JK you already know what they are like. The CRD has good power, it is a reliable engine team it with the auto and you'll have no problems pulling your bikes around.

my fuel figures were from my old 03 TJ... my 4door JK only evener for 460km's out oa tank with 32inch tyres and no lift... Auto...

JasperJ
19-08-2010, 08:58 PM
But that was Petrol right?

Devilish
19-08-2010, 09:06 PM
no, my JK was Diesel

JasperJ
19-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Fawk you were right to get rid of it. More than happy with mine. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

I wonder why yours was so bad on the fuel? Yeah off road the economy drops but it should have gotten around 10 L/100 km on the road. Hang on you had an 07 didn't you? The early CRD's came with 4.1 diffs. The Autos now have 3.73 and the manuals 3.21. That may have contributed to some of it. I ordered mine after driving the 07 but by the time mine got here it had 3.21, bugger!

Pipeliner
20-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Non braked load is the standard of 700 kg as per all vehicles

750kg actually Gravel.

Devilish
20-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Fawk you were right to get rid of it. More than happy with mine. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

I wonder why yours was so bad on the fuel? Yeah off road the economy drops but it should have gotten around 10 L/100 km on the road. Hang on you had an 07 didn't you? The early CRD's came with 4.1 diffs. The Autos now have 3.73 and the manuals 3.21. That may have contributed to some of it. I ordered mine after driving the 07 but by the time mine got here it had 3.21, bugger!

Yeah my JK was one of the first batch of Diesel Unlimited's... Spent more time being towed by Roadside Assist and sitting, waiting for repairs at the dealership than it did in my garage!!

I have a mate who is on here and has an 08 JK Diesel unlimited and he hasn't had a minutes trouble and loves it...

Devilish
22-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I have a jeeper on this forum teasing me too!

He has a a red shorty JK, 2 inch lift on Muddies, ARB Bar i think, with 2 sets of spotties, and it's always parked in the carpark where I live... I know he is on this forum, I have seen his photo pop up in the forum pics link.... You have a nice jeep dude! I want to do the same mods :)

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=1909

Thats the one!!