PDA

View Full Version : Rusted Tow Hitch

jimtam
17-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Hey all, hope you can help.
Picked up our 1st jeep yesterday '06 KJ CRD. Thought I'd better remove the tow hitch, as it rubs on the turn up the driveway. And I don't want another one stolen.....
Well it wouldn't budge, turns out its been painted over, and is fairly rusty around the flange. It seems that the sleeve is pretty clean, but the tounge is the problem, at least I hope that's the case...
It seems to be a genuine jeep part, sticker etc.
I googled sticky tow hitch and found some help.
Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I'm reluctent to leave it there, because they say rust never sleeps.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jimmy.

SeaComms
17-08-2010, 08:31 PM
A pic might help, but what sort of hitch is it? The standard 50mm (or so) square receiver with the slide in tongue? If it wont budge I would hit it side to side with a hammer a few times then up down etc to shatter the rust loose then it should pull out.

Hit it with a wire brush or file if needed to get all the rust off, then hit it up with some rust converter and it should be good to go. Sounds like it was towing a boat and getting a little close to the water...

Oh, and welcome Jim :)

jimtam
17-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks Dave
Yeah it's the standard box type tounge slide hitch. Don't worry I hit it alright, it took about 20 or so to get the locking pin far enough around to remove the spring clip !!!!!!!
It's really jammed, I had the back of the log splitter going for a while, still no joy, got dark and I gave up, for the time being.
I'll get some pics up over the next few days.
P.S. I spoke to the original owner today and he did mention how well it towed his boat.....

SeaComms
17-08-2010, 08:49 PM
LOL. Well if you can drive the locking pin out, at least you can hook a snatch strap over the ball and attch it to something solid. Actually, I would prob use a non stretch strap so it jars it out!

Good luck :)

Banshee
18-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't know about the KJ, but my JK has a bolt that screws up from under the hitch to lock the tongue in place & stop it rattling. If you have one & it is tight, that could also be the problem. I couldn't move the locking pin on mine until I loosened it off.

Gildo
18-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Yup BFH, WD-40 from the inside and the outside and a chain to something solid.
Try putting a jack under the tongue and lifting the back of the car too, just another force to try to loosen it that is opposite to most it has had.
As Banshee says above, has it had a locking bolt that has sheared off?